Tips For Getting In an Icy 8?

• Any of you guys have any tips for getting in their 8's safely when the car is very icy? I get concerned about the window dropping.

When its very cold the window won't drop when you pull the handle as it sticks to the rubber seal. How do you guys deal with this other than pouring lukewarm water over the window??

I'm just worried that one day when trying the door when it's stuck I will damage it.

:)

• Use silicone grease on the door seals, it is transparent, odourless and it doesn't freeze. If used sparingly it will not wipe off on your clothes! I usually buy it from RS:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/se…thod=getProduct&R=0494124

...but it is available from plumbers merchants, sometimes called Plumba

• yep i see wat your on about as am not takeing my car out in the snow but i like to start her up every few days,i use deicer ,i spray it around the window and plenty along the bottom rubber,i even spray it down the door checks as their is a rubber seal their too.i have used warm water but am a bit worried incase the glass crack's.

After looking through my handbook,it says not to use de-icer as it has a degreasing effect and will impair the functioning of the lock's,

• Zitat von Koizumi;72060

Gummiphledge is the best :top:

Been trying to get that for years, but UK dealers don't seem to stock it or say that it's no longer produced ?? However, I think that it's a silicone type of product.

• Zitat von arnie;72472

Been trying to get that for years, but UK dealers don't seem to stock it or say that it's no longer produced ?? However, I think that it's a silicone type of product.

It is indeed a silicone product of sorts. There is just something about the formulation that makes it top notch in my book. I don't know what it is... It's very difficult to get here in the USA. I was under the impression that this stuff is widely available in Europe (guess I was wrong). I have found only one USA source which is http://www.BavAuto.com I don't even think they list it on their website (you have to place a phone order). In any event, if you do find some, the bottle lasts for years.

Cheers

• Gummipflege as it is called here (lit. "rubber care") can be purchased through BMW in a 75mL stick for around 5.5 EUR. As far as I know it is not silicone but glycerol based - silicone is known to lead to squeaking noises on rubber seals.
    Order your stick using the part number 83120397018

Cheers
    Reinhard

• I can recommend 1z "Glanz Wax" for preventing Corrosion.
    It´s a waterlike liquid, easy to applicate and remove stuff with excellent protecting shield for your paintwork.

Tip:
    Use after washing a microfiber, lightly contaminated with that Wax, to dry your 8-series.
    To finish for an dreamlike result use a second, soft microfiber to remove the dry rest of "Glanz Wax"

You will see, that the car is verry easy to dry and there will be a water resistant waxshield,
    which is going to be thicker by the time.

Only toped by Club-own "WAXX 48":grin2:

Regards
    Max

Der Mensch ist das Maß aller Dinge Protagoras

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!