Windscreen replacement - OEM or aftermarket?

• I need a little advice from the 8er collective, I will be getting the dreaded rust on the roof corners fixed soon and it's very likely that I'll need to replace the windscreen. As some of you may already know, there's a considerable price difference between BMW OEM and aftermarket screens from (e.g.) Pilkington. Recently I read some threads about screens and the issue of whether it lends any structural integrity to the car and thus BMW OEM (I believe 4 ply) screen would be the better choice but does anyone out there have any first hand experience? The question is really should I opt for BMW OEM for any reason other than the price differential?

Cheers

• IMHO... Absolutely nothing wrong with aftermarket.... If it did not meet the standard then it would not be aloud to go in.... Pilkington is one of the oldest glass makers going and whenever I see their logo then I know it's good....

If you must have the little BMW logo so be it but it all gets a bit anal when you have to make sure 'the screws line up' if you know what I mean....:)

• Zitat von schnitz850;74526

IMHO... Absolutely nothing wrong with aftermarket.... If it did not meet the standard then it would not be aloud to go in.... Pilkington is one of the oldest glass makers going and whenever I see their logo then I know it's good....

If you must have the little BMW logo so be it but it all gets a bit anal when you have to make sure 'the screws line up' if you know what I mean....:)

Cheers, I do know what you mean about screws lining up, I'm not especially bothered about having the BMW logo either.

• It shouldn't matter who makes it as long as it meets the specification of the original. The screen is definitely part of the overall rigidity of the car so it is important. I'm sure you will do the right thing in the end:top:

• The breaker I have here had the front glass replaced, and although the brand is the same it just doesn't have the roundel logo. It's getting saved for a replacement if ever necessary but short of having that I'd go aftermarket too.

• Roof Rust

Zitat von Argonaut;74524

I need a little advice from the 8er collective, I will be getting the dreaded rust on the roof corners fixed soon and it's very likely that I'll need to replace the windscreen.

Cheers

Be wary of what you may discover when you start to tackle those bubbles of paint in the roof corners. When mine were stripped back, they revealed rust all along the front of the roof, under the windscreen. I ended up having the roof replaced to ensure there was a structurally sound seal between windscreen and roof. I had my original screen taken out before the repair and put back afterwards but a few months later the screen cracked while we were on the Aston Martin test track at the Gaydon Show. I had a genuine BMW new screen fitted under insurance. They gave me the choice without any increase in excess. Look at my profile pics.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;74628

Be wary of what you may discover when you start to tackle those bubbles of paint in the roof corners. When mine were stripped back, they revealed rust all along the front of the roof, under the windscreen. I ended up having the roof replaced to ensure there was a structurally sound seal between windscreen and roof. I had my original screen taken out before the repair and put back afterwards but a few months later the screen cracked while we were on the Aston Martin test track at the Gaydon Show. I had a genuine BMW new screen fitted under insurance. They gave me the choice without any increase in excess. Look at my profile pics.

Yes, I am expecting it to not look very pretty, the rust bubbling in one corner is far far worse than it appeared on your car profile pictures plus I am used to how rust on the surface can be much worse under the skin, the bodywork chap has already had a quick look and didn't seem fazed by the job at all though. We'll see....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!