Started my car after 7 months - problem!

• Ok been off the forum for a while because was involved in a minor bump with my 8 and have been waiting ages for my insurance company to pay out for the repairs.

My 8er has been stood for nearly 7 months outside (with a car cover on) and after receiving my cheque yesterday to cover the cost of repairs I thought I would start her up.

Attached Jump leads and fired up first time! :grin2: Brilliant I thought, no funny engine lights or warning symbols. So I let her idle for a bit then took off the jump leads. Soon as i did this the idle dropped and car seemed like it wanted to stall. I put it in drive and it felt like it was going to cut out so i accelerated a bit to avoid that but as soon as i let off the gas the car did stall...

Re-attached the jump leads and fired her up again. I thought if whilst idling i rev her just below 2k revs it should charge the battery a bit quicker? This seemed to work and idled a bit better when i took the jump leads off. However when i blipped the accelerator a few times (just to see her roar after all those months :winkwink:) the car was distinctly hestitant, almost as if it was misfiring!

I thought i would let her idle a little longer... about ten minutes later on my return to the car I was shocked to find a HUGE puddle of oil underneath it!

I popped open the bonnet and no obvious signs of a leak from the top of the car, but could see a puddle of oil in the tray beneath the fan at the front. By now the puddle of oil was the width of the front of the car, so I switched her off and am now praying i have not killed her!

Any thoughts as to what may have happened??

Many thanks

• Disconnect both batteries & fully charge, The fact it started with Jump leads is good BUT both batteries are dead & may need a full 2 days to reach full power;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von Argonaut;74733

Hi, just to check, are you certain that it's engine oil underneath the car and not Pentosin?

I agree.. I've also had a huge puddle of oil.. but not engine oil but pentosin (the stuff that is used be the power steering). check your black pentosin container on the middle right of the engine bay (when looking at the car). If it is empty, you'll need some work done.

Imho, you have two problems at hand: 1. ruined batteries and 2. an oil leak.

• Definitely the batteries on the one front. The 120A alternator is a beast but it's not designed to charge the batteries and it could trash the diodes trying to do so. As has been stated charge the batteries fully, take part of that cheque and invest in a good charger (Ctek 7000).

• Ok. Thanks for the advise. Yeah Definately will put the batteries on charge today. Will check the pentosin level too and take covers off the bottom. Will report back.

...I'm scared!:oops:

• Agree on the batteries.
    also note that the DME's have now lost all refference values to various sensors including the throttlebodies.

Once you get the car going, get the engine warmed up and take her from idle to redline a few times to sync the DK-motors (throttlebodies).

after that she should run smooth again.

Also support the pentosin leak.... quite common and not to worry.
    if you can check the colour it is probably green unless it is really old pentosin.
    mine sometimes overflow when the car has not been used for a while... seemes like the pentosin flows back into the reservoir with time.

Just check your engine oil level, I'm sure you will find everything is in order.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Checked oil and pentosin levels and both ok. Pentosin is 10mm below top of canister after pumping brakes.

Took the cover off under the car (the one below the big fan) started car again just to see if it still leaks and found oil coming out from what looks like a crack where these two pipes meet up.

The oil was pouring in in a steady stream whilst engine was on and stopped soon as engine was switched off.

Does anyone know what this is or if it is easy to fix?

Thanks in advance.

(P.s. batteries are removed and on charge now)

• Is that on the radiator??
    If so that is the automatic transmission oil cooler hoses and the oil would be red.
    The oil is cooled inside the radiator.
    If the crack is on the radiator itself you need a new radiator.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Hi Busta, id speak to Gerry at Phoenix Motorsport - hes been fitting alot of rads lately and can advise.

hope it gets fixed soon!

Ben.

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• That is a transmission oil leak. You need to undo the M8 bolt and remove the block that holds the 2 pipes to the rad. These are sealed with 2 "O" rings. If the leak is not past the o rings, and they look in good condition, you will need a new oil cooler, part number 17201704083 and replace both o rings, (17211742636). Whilst you are doing this you will need to replenish all lost transmission oil. Possibly a good time to replace the oil and transmission filter anyway?

8Tech.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!