Proposed structural changes in the forum - was: Is this site dying a slow death?

• Let's start with this reorganization.

First I created the new area "Meetings".

revtor
    You can now begin with the transfer of this area "Meetings". :grin2:

• Gents.

Noticed the work has started and so far it looks good.
    And I am well aware that the work is not completed.

My thoughts on this entire process was that we could reduce the size of the forum page so that we did not need to scroll so much.

Noticed that the new "meetings" area is should I say expanded into each sub forum on the main page and thus takes a lot of space.
    I was under the impression from the chart made earlier that we would have a single line called "meetings" and once you clicked on it you got to a new page where all sub forums were listed.

Also I would like to raise the question why all language forums should list most of the sub forums on the main page?

We are doing some really good work here, but I really don't see the main forum page getting reduced in size.

My impression was that the new main forum page would look like this.

-Information
    -German
    -French
    -English
    -Meetings

And that no sub forums were visible before you clicked the one you wanted to enter.

Edit: I stand corrected.... when looking at the main page I discovered after frequenting this forum for 4 years that there are small arrows on the right of each forum allowing you to collapse them, and thus give me the look I wanted in my post.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von reinhard;79632

You lucky guy :D

Anyway... here is what Noggie was looking for.
    Any yes, they´ve been there all the time ;)
    Cheers
    Reinhard

yes those :oops:

Found them when I planned to do a screenshot and wanted to cut away the sub forums only leaving the top section.

So this thing that has bugged me for 4 years finally got resolved today.

Actually found the very same feature on a different forum I've been using today as well.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• As i am new i think i know why someone would be put off joining this forum and thats because if you are not a member,everytime you click a topic(meetings etc) it shows 0 threads.I do honestly think if people were allowed to view the threads before they sign up we would get a lot more people join.
    On the other hand its great being on a site specificaly for the 8 series as no matter how busy other forums are, you usually have to wait around a while before the expert comments.At least on this forum everyone is in the same boat.

• smileynialley: That's one of the main issues I see with the forum as well. But members have contributed to this forum in the knowledge it's a private community and some of them would be upset if it's suddenly all over the Internet. There have been a few suggestions towards a more open community, respecting everyone's wishes, but don't expect changes any time soon.

• I think maybe people give up. I've put up a number of posts that get pleanty of views, but no responses! Maybe they're just too simple, and as has been mentioned, people see that the topic has been dealt with before, so aren't interested. My last post was asking if there was somewhere on this forum (as I believe I have seen before but could not find this time) a list showing what the no.1 and no.2 maintenance services were. Somebody must have an idea, but apparently not. I'm also a Club GTI member and find the lads on there for more accommodating. As 8Tech said, with cars this old, of course everything has been discussed before, but not necessarily by the newbies. Searching the forum also is tedious, and youget a thousand opinions for every query. What was the best oil to use 10 years ago might not necessarily be the same today. I'd rather have someones opinion now than from a thread that's years old.

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!