steering wheel replacement

• My off the 'bay, e36, M3 evo wheel arrived yesterday, but unfortuantely someone had tried to prise off the BMW badge sometime in its past life, so effectively it's somewhat defaced.

However, I've now found a similar wheel, but with the remote buttons off a 1999, e38. I think it may be complete with slip-ring, so should not be too hard to swap over.

Update:
    My other wheel arrived today, but was I sad to find that that too has suffered an attempt at badge removal.

The centre roundal badges are held in by four metal tabs, which pass through the plsstic covering of the wheel and which are bent-over and riveted in the back. Hence the badges are not removable or replaceable.

This is of course to prevent the badge from flying off into the driver's face in the event of a deployment of the airbag, where the centre of the steering boss opens up along pre-determined split-lines, leaving the badge behind. (How do i know this??)

I also noted that the m3 evo wheel, although looking practically identical to the e38/e39 m-tech wheel, is actually about 1cm smaller in diameter.

• Tony, Nice replacement!

Can anyone tell me how to figure out what position the clock-spring mechanism on my "new" steering wheel should be at during the install, while the car wheels are pointing straight. I mean, I think the detent has gone a bit sloppy on my example such that the "clock spring" mechanism can be turned with the steering wheel removed and so I don't know if it's now in the correct position to install. If it's wound up too much, it could tear the cable inside.

Is there some set-up procedure to make sure it's in the correct position?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!