Newbie checking in.

• Hi Guys,

Well after loving the 8 series for many years i decided to sell my E39 M5 and go buy one, So after searching around i found they were either cheap cars that were pretty much in a poor state or the super expensive cars which i just didnt think were worth it.So i finally found a lovely 840CI for sale from a guy you all probably know (talltony) and decided to travel from Glasgow to check it out.As soon as i saw the car i knew i wanted it so we done the deal and i drove her home very happy.The ICE that tony has installed is pretty amazing although i still need to figure ways of working some of the things.The bodywork for a 13 year old car is pretty impressive and the interior aint so bad either.200 mile journey home seemed like 30 mins and i loved every second of it.Tony is also going to send me up his spare diff and a load of other parts he had advertised to go with the car.

There are a couple of little things i noticed after a couple of days ownership, These being, A little oil dripping from the diff onto my drive which i imagine is just the diff seals needing replacing on the E34 M5 diff.Also a little clunk coming from the nearside front suspension area which i guess could be ball joint, tie rod ends or perhaps a dodgy bush(Wouldnt be a beemer without a suspension clunk).Trace of oil under the oil sump but not much and certainly not dripping. And finally the weirdest one happened today, Whilst driving i noticed a whining noise coming from the passenger side, I turned down the volume and noticed it increases with the engine revs and is coming through the speaker even when i shut off the system. Any ideas for the above and possible costs? I love this very well looked after car and want to get it as perfect as i can.

Cheers
    Derek

• Welcome Derek, you've got yourself a nice car there, congratulations.

Ref your troubles, clunking from the front, I would check the drop links, the standard BMW ones are a little feeble and don't last long, you can get uprated ones from Meyle, so-called Meyle HD (heavy duty), these are considerably more robust, I bought some recently from an eBay seller, I'll see if I can find a link if you can check and confirm they're needed.

Ref "whine" from speakers even with radio/auido off - I think the only other source could be from the telephone - have you tried disconnecting the telephone to see if hte noise goes away?

What do you think of Tony's Flappy Paddle conversion?
    Cheers,
    Jason

• bonjour a tous
    j ai moi aussi remarquer un bruit sur mon 8 et visiblement cela viend du dong de l ODB , et le bruit viend de temps en temps mai je ne me suis pas intereser plus que ca ,, a voir..

• hey Derek, that's a nice looking car you have there (but your drive needs weeding!)

I'd spent 4 hours waxing for that picture, and then at 7pm the heavens opened....

Glad you like the car, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in it.

About the strange noise you heard. It's the diff. Between 65mph and 70mph it 'sings' and is something another (ex) 8er experienced with the same diff installed (WayneBlackwell). It's a bit annoying, but since you're swapping out the diff the noise will vanish anyway. I rarely cruised at those speeds so it didn't bother me much, but since you're gonna do motorway miles regularly you'd be best swapping the diff out anyway for economy (an extra 4 or 5mpg). Don't sell it for peanuts. They are rare in that 3.91 ratio and I'm sure someone will pay you good dosh for it :)

I'll send you the stock diff etc on a pallet tomorrow as I was away in meetings all day at work today.

Best regards
    Tony

• Welcome to the madhouse Derek....

I think that 8 should have come with an additional build sheet and instruction manual... :harhar:

We are a friendly bunch. We don't get political. If you have a problem we are here to help.....

Alex

• Welcome to E31 ownership...you're in for a car experience unlike any previous in many respects. A bit of clarification on info in posts above.... not knowing Tony's maintenance history of the front suspension, I'd agree that it's probably the 'drop links', however this term is usually for the sway bar attachments in my experience. Most likely it is the upper 'control' or 'thrust' arms that Jason is describing, and his Meyle HD recommendation is a good one. Tony knows his car and if he says the noise is the rearend then I believe him, but other possible causes could be the center driveshaft bearing or wheel bearing(s).

• I have to say I wasn't aware of any knocks from the front end. Perhaps with it being stood for so long, which up until 6 months ago was outside, some of the rubber bushes have degraded.

I replaced the Thrust Arms about two years ago (2000miles ago or so) so they should still be good ??

Rcrad, the other noise is 99.9% the diff as it happened from day 1 of it's install. Derek is swapping it out so I'm sure it will disappear with it....

• A good find, nice one. If you order Meyle look for the Heavy Duty items, they will last far longer. The eBay supplier I used was recommended my a club member in Germany and they are genuine items.

• I also found that Lemforder - the OEM brand - is stocked by Euro Car Parts, but whether or not the versions they sell are to original spec standards, I don't know.

(I discovered recently that the replacement Behr radiators are not as well built as the Behr radiators sold by BMW. I guess quality may be cut to be competetive on price. Perhaps the same thing applies to suspension components?)

• Zitat von TallTony;78478

I have to say I wasn't aware of any knocks from the front end. Perhaps with it being stood for so long, which up until 6 months ago was outside, some of the rubber bushes have degraded.

I replaced the Thrust Arms about two years ago (2000miles ago or so) so they should still be good ??

Rcrad, the other noise is 99.9% the diff as it happened from day 1 of it's install. Derek is swapping it out so I'm sure it will disappear with it....

Hey Tony,

I know the diff whines a little but its very much bearable.The noise i am gettin is defo coming through the passenger speaker and is more a whistle than a whine and is increasing as i rev the engine at a standstill(weird).The clunk is not too bad but i can hear it and just feel it when going over some bumps at slow speed.These things happen and its no big deal.

As for tonys flappy paddle upgrade, BRILLIANT. And once i figure out how to get the PC fully working it will be amazing too.Just trying to figure out what i need for sat nav and digital tv at the moment.

cheers guys

• Zitat von huesey1974;78500

....The noise i am gettin is defo coming through the passenger speaker and is more a whistle than a whine and is increasing as i rev the engine at a standstill(weird)...

That seems like the alternator is not properly suppressed or the new ICE equipment has become extra sensitive to the noise produced by the alternator's rectifier.

If that is the cause, it can usually be fixed with a few filter caps on the alternator output or the ICE input.

If Tony kept the original amplifier for the speakers, it may be worth chacking that that is properly grounded.

• it is entirely possible that I have never heard this noise from the speakers (if it is that). I honestly have a problem with my ears in that I cannot hear certain High Pitched Frequencies, even having a set of prescribed digital hearing aids to attempt to correct this. I never use them cos it makes the world sound like living inside a metal tank !

The audible Freq Graph for my ears looks like Table Mountian in SA, when instead it should look more like Mt Everest ! Weirdly, I can hear more lower frequencies than the average person.

The diff noise is something I know about since it's pitch is audible to me, but I would never have noticed anything higher than that. Could well be some alterator interference as Arnie suggests.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!