• Just thought I would share this with you guys.

I just put a set of winter tyres (on throwing star 17's) that I was given from a family friend who sold his 8 which had alpinas at the time of sale. These wheels were just sitting docile so he offerend them to me. A very kind jesture as they came with winter tyres!

Wow, all I have to say is that the difference is significant. The car feels a whole lot more surefooted in the snow and I am happy in the knowledge that my original wheels will remain salt free over the winter.

A happy bunny!

:)

• I'm with you on this one!

I really don't know why we don't have legislation that means we all have to fit winter tyres as std come 1st November, most of northern europe has. It would stop us grinding to holt at the slightest bit of snow, we could all go about are daily business as normal. Both my daily hack 320d sport touring and my wifes SAAB are now shod with a winter tyres on a set of spare rims that I aquired on ebay..... You will not believe the difference in traction and braking when it snows...... roll on saturday!

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• I have (18") Winters on the rear of my 8 too. Got them cheap in Summer and fitted them then (had them on since). The difference in traction, even in Summer, was extreme bearing in mind it very rarely gets genuinely hot in Ireland.

Mine are Fulda's. I did drive the 8er last year on 4 Summers in the Snow and sheet Ice and it was a massive chore and fairly uncontrollable at any sort of speed above crawling. Even with the Winters in the rear Ill still prolly drive my Audi S8 more this winter (Quattro plus 4 17" Winters!).

• Went to the local dealer this morning to collect some small parts and noticed that BMW are doing a promotion on winter tyres. You can get a set of 4 Continental winter tyres on steel rims with plastic BMW wheel covers for £600 incl. VAT. (A 15" set for the BMW mini is £420).

• Interesting:hmmmm: I too have a set of throwing stars which have new falken on the front but barely legal rears which could be fitted up with winter tyres to protect the alpina rims. So whats the recommendation!

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Zitat von Lloyd;83466

barely legal rears

Lloyd, I think I've got that magazine somewhere.

Anyway, isn't it a terrible pain to swap your wheels around for a couple of days of snow a year? Then the extra set of wheels taking up a load of garage space. Plus driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow is stressful but fun....:harhar:

Not trying to pooh pooh just wondering if it's worth the hassle?

• I would say yes...absolutely.

I changed mine in less than an hour so it not exactly a chore.

You can also still have fun if you want to, but to be honest, I am having more fun driving around in a 8 series with better traction than most other cars on the road!

The difference is staggering. From undriveable, to ploughing through deep icy snow and feeling 100% comfortable.

:driver:

Did some digging.

The car looks like it has these on the back : http://www.vredestein.com/Band…andgroepID=2&BandtypeID=7

and these on the front : http://www.vredestein.com/Band…ndgroepID=3&BandtypeID=66

So they are a mix of full on high performance winters on the rear with all season versions on the front. All of them bear the winter symbol though so are all certified as a winter tyre.

• Well, If you need to use your 8 in these icy/snow conditions, then the right tyres might just save you a lot of hassle in having to deal with a bodyshop for repairs.

I don't like what all the salt does to the car, so I'm going to drive mine as little as possible.

• Well if you need winter tyres for a CSI in standard size you appear to be stuffed as no one seems to do them for the rears (265 40 17). Closest is a Falken all season tyre.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Zitat von shiggsy;83744

Well if you need winter tyres for a CSI in standard size you appear to be stuffed as no one seems to do them for the rears (265 40 17). Closest is a Falken all season tyre.

Would that be the ZE19 model? I have those on my M-Par reps which are in the shed, might stick em the 535 if they are all seasons......

• Can't find them now. Stepping down in width to 255 rear 225 front gives a few more options so I might stick some Kumho KW27s on otherwise probably Falken HS-459s.

93 850 CSI

• Couldn't get hold of the Kumhos so I got some Vredestein Wintrac Extreme XL Winter Tyres which arrived yesterday. Despite having to thaw out my door window with a hair dryer this morning I was down at the tyre shop when they opened and got them fitted before todays forecast snow hits us. Had to step down in width a bit so 255/40/17 from 265/40 and 225/45/17 from 235/45 so I could actually get a winter fitment.

Got them on just in time as its currently blowing a blizzard, though I'll resist the temptation to take car out and see how it handles.

93 850 CSI

• Zitat von shiggsy;83744

Well if you need winter tyres for a CSI in standard size you appear to be stuffed as no one seems to do them for the rears (265 40 17). Closest is a Falken all season tyre.

I have Fulda 265-40-18 on my CSi, rears only. Car is kinda rubbish in this weather anyhow, winters just make it driveable.
    My Audi S8 on 4x Winters on the otherhand is a much much better vehicle from December to Feb.
    Makes any driver seem like a rally champion.:devilchilli:

Not that I condone that on public roads. :D

• 18 Inch tyres were giving a lot more options than 17" but I needed 17" tyres and the Fuldas never came up in my searches. I'm really glad I put winter tyres on, they make a tremendous difference.

93 850 CSI

• Zitat von shiggsy;84212

I'm really glad I put winter tyres on, they make a tremendous difference.

They do in fairness, even on the E31. I was out testing my lack of ABS and TC today, with the winters on there was no drama. Last year had a little bit of kerb pinball with the Summers on then I intentionally turned off TC. :driver:

• Zitat von robmarrs;83444

I'm with you on this one!

I really don't know why we don't have legislation that means we all have to fit winter tyres as std come 1st November, most of northern europe has. It would stop us grinding to holt at the slightest bit of snow

Agreed - the only thing that elitist bunch in Westminster like to get excited about is whether to spend many millions on new kit, which will undoubtedly involve a lot of mutual backscratching and subsidies, in the same way that they love their useless, inefficient and damaging windfarms that we're all paying for.

Getting people to stick on winter tyres would bring far greater benefits at, ultimately, lower cost to the tax payer.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!