Mystery Connectors

• Yes, I'd thought the same, but I have the electric rear sun-blind, so it's not for that.

That connector No.2 has Ground, permanent and switched 12v, so it could be useful for adding USB charger or some other equipment, as it's not far from the rear of the centre console.

My car has:

• Rear sun-blind.
    • Alarm system
    • Auto transmission
    • factory-fit GSM telephone.
    • Cruise control

It does not have:

• electric steering adjust
    • heated seats
    • Electronic damper Control
    • Aux ventillation
    • Park distance Control
  • arnie: This may prove to be challenging because right-hand drive (RHD) E31 have a different wiring harness and as far as I know there is no electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM) covering RHD cars... All references to the ETM below are to the English 1995/1996 ETM.

• Connector 1: Unknown.
    • Connector 2: X18757 (see ETM 7100.0-33). I'm quite confident this is X18757 (it's the only 3-pin connector in that area) but the connector is nowhere to be found on the diagrams...
    • Connector 3: X18131 (see ETM 3231.1-00 and 3231.1-01). Plugs into the LSM steering column memory module and provides power and an interface to the SM/SPM seat and mirror memory module.
    • Connector 4: X18099 (see ETM 3231.0-00 and 3231.1-00). Plugs into the steering column adjustment module or LSM steering column memory module and connects to the adjustment stalk and (in case of LSM) to the position potentiometers on the steering column.
    • Connector 5: X18098 (see ETM 3231.0-00 and 3231.1-01). Plugs into the steering column adjustment module or LSM steering column memory module and powers the adjustment motors.
    • Connector 6: X1229 (see ETM 3231.0-00 and 3231.1-00). Plugs into the steering column adjustment module or LSM steering column memory module and provides power to the module.
    • Connector 7: Unknown. Judging by the shape it's probably for a center console switch, but I have never seen a red connector there. In fact, the ETM doesn't list a single red connector in the whole car... You mention the connector can also be yellow. That would hint at a connector for the seat heating switch, but then there ought to be two connectors (left and right). Do you know the wire colors?
    • Connector 8: X1426 (see ETM 6210.0-09 and 6322.0-00). This connector is brown in left-hand drive cars and carries the reversing (backup) signal. According to the ETM it is normally connected to the acoustic device (gong), but I've never seen it actually connected. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hear the gong every time you go into reverse.
    • Connector 9: X10058 (see ETM 6210.0-08). When connected, the EKM monitors the washer fluid level in the front reservoir to generate the "washer fluid low" message when necessary. However, in cars equipped with SRA headlight washer system the front washer fluid level sensor only needs to trigger the rear pump - not the warning. There's another washer fluid level sensor for that in the trunk reservoir. To prevent the front washer fluid level sensor from throwing false "washer fluid low" messages, connector X10058 must be disconnected on cars equipped with SRA system.
    • Connector 10: Unknown. I don't think I've seen this connector in a left-hand drive car.
  • Wow, Revtor ! You've done your homework on this!

I'm sure I had seen Connector 1 on the ETM95 (6561.0, X400). It is in anycase the power supply for the GSM phone system and has a radio-mute wire and other functions. It's connected on my car, which has the phone option, but the picture is from a friend's car that is without phone. I guess therefore that it should be present on most cars.

Thanks, though for all the information on the other connectors. It seems Nos.2, 7 and 10 remain a mystery !

I noticed that on my car (03/99) there are a number of violet connectors (like 7 and 9), whereas in other cars (eg 02/97) these are yellow. Maybe they ran out of yellow ones ! I'll look and check the wire colours for No.7.

Connector 8 may then be a good source for the reversing signal for the Becker navigation radios.

• Coming to think of it, #8 may also be the connector that makes sure you notice when you´re not buckled up.

I can´t quite remember whether this was also a feature in the J-spec but I have dim memories that the M-Individual came with a driver´s and a passenger side klaxon.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von arnie;93260

I noticed that on my car (03/99) there are a number of violet connectors (like 7 and 9), whereas in other cars (eg 02/97) these are yellow. Maybe they ran out of yellow ones !

If you order a new general module (GM), the yellow connector is also violet... It seems BMW changed colors at a certain moment.

You are right about connector 1. Judging by the wire colors, connector 1 can only be X400. I was thrown off by the fact that the ETM shows the wrong connector style and pin layout for X400 in section 8500. The connector is listed as type 06-4 whereas it is type 06-3 in reality. Not the first error in the ETM and very likely not the last...

reinhard: The seat belt warning is a EKM thing that can be changed through coding. No additional wires to the gong are necessary for this. The connector in question is for an acoustic backup sound.

• Zitat von revtor;93295

... The connector in question is for an acoustic backup sound.

I just connected this to a Becker Traffic Pro nav radio as a reversing signal and it works.

Maybe the connectors changed colour from yellow to violet so as not to confuse them with airbag wiring?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!