seat belt inop

• fired bigbird up today, thaught I'd go for a spin.:banghead:
    drivers seat belt will not move. has anybody got a fix?
    how do I get into the back off the seat?
    while I am in the back of the seat can I change the black seat belt guide to chrome?

• Gerry left an in detail description of how to tackle a seat here just a few days ago. This will certainly guide you to the point where you see how to remove the seat belt assy.

I would not attempt this without removing the seat from the car.
    You will look at replacing the whole seat belt including the seat belt guide. If you replace plastic w. chrome on one side you will want to do it on the other side too - this and that the time required for the job is roughly the same for both sides is not a surprise. It may be surprising though that a helluva lot of time times 2 is... maybe a weekend ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Take the seat out, with the backrest locked in position tilt the whole seat right back so you would be looking at the sky and hey presto! The belt will move. The proper fix is to take the seat to pieces and grease all the gubbins, but why do the proper job when an easy bodge is at hand! You will need to do the proper fix at some point as it will invariably happen again.

I got my knickers in a serious twist with this, as I was out with the nippers in the car. Pushed the seat back forward to get them in the back, and then the belt locked, meaning I couldn't push the seat back into the locked position. Had to call the wife to come and collect me :oops:.

• Zitat von NickF;96550

Take the seat out, with the backrest locked in position tilt the whole seat right back so you would be looking at the sky and hey presto! The belt will move.

Information stored for the inevitable!

• Full moon required for that? ;)

It is a good hint... :top:
    I have tackled one of those cases where the seat belt would not budge anymore AND was completely rolled in.

I certainly tried shaking and rattling the mechanism hoping for a pinball or similar to move out of a locked position but the only method I found working was remove the two tiny screws from the clear plastic lid which covers the rolled in belt. Pry open this lid a little bit and use a "special tool" - just anything that gets you there, to ever so slightly move a locking arm sitting on a toothed gear.

This is actually a completely non-serviceable area and quite honestly for some reason too :pray:

The good thing is that most of them have continued to work for 20 yrs and longer so I´d feel more or less safe replacing those with used units as long as the belt looks ok.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• The other night I came out of work and the drivers seat belt would not move it was hard against the leather so I moved the back of the seat to a move upright position which relaxed the belt enough to start working again. Job done, now back to my petrol lines (todays job)

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Aha, I'm in this club. A veteran of 5/6 times now. I've found that taking the torx bolt out of the back panel at the bottom allows limited access to the bottom of the seatbelt roll. I then push up on the roll from the bottom and gently tease to belt loose. After a few minutes of this it's fully released again ;)

I know that it will have to be looked at properly, but it happens at the most awkward times, miles from home and proper tools.. I now carry a small toolbox..

My problems always start if I or someone tilts the drivers seat forward.

The manipulation of the rolled up belt was a final attempt at freeing it the first time it happened after hours (literally) of gently pulling on the belt from the top with no joy.

Now that's the first thing I do and it hasn't stopped me yet......

Oops, forgot to add that I tilt the seat forward again as soon as enough slack is present to make it easier.

Mick

• 8 Series Seatbelt replacement

Hi Dave,

I replaced the driver's seatbelt on my 1989 850i with the help and advice from Reinhard and I'm pleased to say the replacement belt works 100%.

It took a bit of time and I thought I'd get away without taking the seat out but was soon proven wrong!

Tim

• Update; sunday after the footy I fired her up just to see the condition of the batteries.
    powered the seat as far forward as possible, reclined the backrest as low as it will go, gave the belt a tug.
    no movement.:banghead:
    slapped the seat once or twice.
    hey presto. seat belt works.:driver:
    for how long is another matter.
    Thanks for the advice:top:

• Living proof that Percussive Maintenaince is the best method :grin2:

Something I learnt from watching my Dad fix the TV back in the good old days

• commonly known as ; EMERGENCY PROCEDURE NUMBER 1

Zitat von Argonaut;96782

Living proof that Percussive Maintenaince is the best method :grin2:

Something I learnt from watching my Dad fix the TV back in the good old days

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!