Respray costs?

• How to eat your words in 48hrs!

Zitat von Nifty50;96841

Hi Steve,

You shouldn't be taking it to the supermarket.:eek:

Me and my big mouth:banghead:

Have just returned from the garden centre where I managed to reverse into a trolley, you know the very low ultra heavy ones for transporting trees and statues. Fortunately I was in the 123 but have collected some serious gouges that are beyond DIY.

Is it just a coincidence that the idiots who leave trolleys everywhere are the same people who don't look after their own cars?

Go on Steve, have a good laugh:poke:

Cheers
    Graham

• Correct, I would expect a full repaint in the same colour to be in the region of £2500 if there are no major repairs or dents to be done.

If that sunroof panel is rusty along the edge it will need replacing, its not possible to repair it properly for less than the cost of a new one.

This price would include painting the bumpers etc off the car, not masking them up.

8Tech.

• I am sorry if I have offended. My only point was that you don't get the results in your pictures simply by cleaning. The wheel arch was obviously painted and as you've now mentioned, the chassis members too. (The orange sticker on the front cross-member has black overspray as well as rubber bushes for the roll-bar, and there is silver overspray on various brake-lines. )

I can show you pictues of chassis components from a car with 10k miles and they will show some surface rust, particularly along the edges. These components are not too well protected ex-factory and it's Ok to paint them.

The disc braking surface will of-course produce surface rust when wet, but I was referring to the disc-hiubs, which are normally grey with original parts. It's a shame that you didn't repaint the hubs.

And since you've asked, pictures below.

(The wheel wheel arches on my car -64k miles - were cleaned with solvent and detergent and painted with black PU paint.)

(second row of pics from 840Ci with 10k miles)

• Thank you for your apology. And yes, the implication that I had simply sprayed liberal amounts of paint over rust did cause offence when you have no evidence to support that conjecture.

Nevertheless, having reviewed the photographs, I accept that there is a small amount of overspray on to the orange sticker on the cross-member (picture 50 of 55). Additionally, I accept that there is a further small amount of silver paint that strayed onto brake-pipes (picture 45 of 55) and even a few spots onto the underside of the plastic fuel tank (picture 44 of 55). I accept that I really was lazy to have not wiped these off at the time.

Yet, even at this late stage, I think I might be able to salvage the situation by spending a couple of minutes with a rag and a suitable solvent to address these issues?

However, the orange sticker maybe a little more tricky. I suppose what I should have done really is peeled off the orange sticker, cleaned any remaining adhesive off with suitable solvent, only then respraying the surface which lay hidden by the sticker, somehow then securing the purchase of an exact new sticker and then re-installing this once the paint had dried? Somehow the inherent miser in me prevented me doing this.

Oh dear, I guess now, the only solution would be to do that now or try to wipe the small amount of overspray on the sticker off with solvent? My fear then is that in so doing I will also remove or at least smudge the writing on the sticker thus callously denying future interested parties the pleasure of reading the actual wording of the text on the sticker? I'll have to have a long, hard think about the best way to go with that one.

Regarding the brake discs. Both disc surfaces and hubs rust. You've pointed that out in your own initial post. In my experience, there is little merit in painting the hubs unless this is done when they are brand new or if for example the discs were removed and blasted to remove every trace of pre-existing rust. Otherwise all you are doing is a very temporary cosmetic job and the rust then just starts to come through again.

However, when installing NEW discs it is my practice to 'protect' (to some extent) the hubs and vanes just as you suggest by painting them prior to installation. You can see an example of where I've done just that in these pictures which relate to an E28 that I did some years ago:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/g…mPic=163&spgmFilters=#pic

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/g…mPic=163&spgmFilters=#pic

Yet even having now done this many times and tried various different paints I remain slightly sceptical about the long-term efficacy of the practice on what is after-all a renewable 'wear n' tear' item.

Even new ones when treated this way still rust and one does have slight concerns over whether this in some way might impact on the cooling properties of the discs. After-all if it's such a simple thing to do why don't brake manufacturers paint over the vanes? Or am I just being too picky and anxious for my own good?

The hubs, as you say, do come with a matt grey finish on them. You seem to have beautifully rebuilt brakes on your car. I'm surprised you decided to stray from the factory finish and elected to paint the hubs black?

More than that I was actually disappointed that you seem not to have taken the opportunity to replace what appears to be a rusty screw head in the bracket holding the lower of the two horizontal brake-pipes (picture third from left upper row)?

But I was positively dismayed to see a large amount of black paint overspray on the inner end of the alloy control arm in the preceding photograph!!!

Now, when going for a 'factory' or near 'factory look' (IMHO) the look of my wheel-arches is somewhat 'nearer' than the black PU paint you chose to do your car in? I'm thinking I could spend a few minutes this weekend wiping off the small amounts of overspray you kindly pointed out as described above. However, at the sametime, I'm thinking it would be the "Devil's Own Job" to undo what you've done? I don't know how easily that stuff comes off? And if one wanted to paint over it again....well, there is always that risk of a bit of stray overspray getting on to a place where it shouldn't be?!

Having said that 'non-factory shiny black look' isn't to my taste I am, however, most intrigued by the way you chose to stop this in a lightly wavy fashion just about 3-4" short of doing it completely black. Leaving those lower 3-4" I'm guessing gives an even more 'Individual Two-Tone' effect? "Different"...granted! But call me "old-fashioned"...I'd rather stick with the 'One-Tone Option' (picture 46 of 55).

You say it's not possible to get the results I achieve by cleaning alone? Well, possibly true on the 8-Series as the colour in the wheel-arches isn't exactly body-colour but I don't remember the colour being the same as yours on either of my previous two Arctic Silver cars? These were cars I had and sold many years ago now and rusty discs plus any remaining dirt aside you can see the wheel-arch colour was pretty close to Arctic? (Almost like Arctic but without a clear coat on top?) And neither of these were painted. Here's an example shot or two:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/8…/bmwc_840ci_sport_01.html

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/8…/bmwc_840ci_sport_02.html

Having said that: "... it's not possible to get that finish by cleaning alone without painting"...it is possible to get pretty close on some cars with a bit of effort. Check out this E34, for example. Yes, some paint to the black suspension components but the wheel-arches themselves have just been 'cleaned'....nothing else:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/g…gmPic=37&spgmFilters=#pic

Finally, I am grateful for the following advice:

"I can show you pictues of chassis components from a car with 10k miles and they will show some surface rust, particularly along the edges. These components are not too well protected ex-factory and it's Ok to paint them."

"It's Ok"? Well, I'm relieved! Yet I remain vexed as therefore, by definition, this would suggest that there are "somethings", "someone" has deemed it "not Ok" to paint?

Can you tell me who the author of this 'Rule Book' is and where I can purchase it?

Thanks.

Best regards

Derin

BTW: "Very nice car, mate!....I'd class it as...hmmm...lemme think....ermmm.......Generally Good!" :top:

• Not surprised! You'll lose one down a drain! :laugh:

• Well that's all sorted then :kiss:

Rusty hubs - I've always found a quick coat of Kurust (water based) or similar reacts nicely with the surface rust and leaves a greyish black finish that can last for years.

• Zitat von ukzero;97043

Well that's all sorted then :kiss:

Rusty hubs - I've always found a quick coat of Kurust (water based) or similar reacts nicely with the surface rust and leaves a greyish black finish that can last for years.

Good tip! I've never tried that...gonna try it next! Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!