To black or not to black

• Ran your picture quickly through photoshop Reinhard, It was a little over exposed, and I tried to improve the colour on the roof and hood of the left car.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Nice work Egil.
    Very hard to fix the car on the left completely..

Going back to the red one - i think the little extending 'apron' where the black part extends onto the bonnet - is in a small way contrary to the design aesthetic as it nullifies the 'stand-out' black grilles below the windscreen, which are so beautiful I always think, looking down on my car as I sometimes do when walking up to my house. Why do cars with black roofs have that apron there? It also duplicates the dark-looking part at the bottom of the windscreen glass.. my eye struggles a little to see where the windscreen ends and where the hood begins.

• Zitat von BBMatic;97763

Nice work Egil.

not really, I see some flaws still, especially with the roof and the glare from the sun.
    But I managed to bring out the colours of the car, and the contrast of the black roof so that it would be easier for Sandwich to decide.

And I'm a Photoshop newbie, so I'm still learning.
    Fixing the picture is extremely difficult with all that glare from the sun.
    A pro could probably get it much better.
    This is what I did in like 10 minutes.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von sandwich;97764

Just as I thought Reinhard! :cough:

I hijacked the thread..(a crime i routinely commit, its hard to help myself) . hopefully nothing worse than that :oops:

• Thanks for all your help chaps. Dropping it off tomorrow and should have it back by Friday. We're off to France a couple of days after for a month, so it had better be ready!

• Zitat von BBMatic;97769

I hijacked the thread..(a crime i routinely commit, its hard to help myself) . hopefully nothing worse than that :oops:

Not at all Burn. Thanks for the pictures

• As BB has pointed out the small lip at the base of the windscreen, just wondered if that was also 'ex factory' or added later?
    Didn't mention this to the paint bod so not sure whether to get this done also. Personally I'm not sure I like that part

• Zitat von sandwich;97772

As BB has pointed out the small lip at the base of the windscreen, just wondered if that was also 'ex factory' or added later?
    Didn't mention this to the paint bod so not sure whether to get this done also. Personally I'm not sure I like that part

Yay - so I have been of some small help for once. :devilchilli:
    I say do only the roof (my 2ps worth..) and keep your lovely contrasty grills below windscreen.

• OK - so it's all about personal opinions here - here's mine....

I have considered the black roof option as the car's lines lend themselves to the "all glass roof look".
    Also, my car, being Arctic Siver, lends itself to the high contrast effect this could give.

As to the colour, high gloss black would not be the colour I'd go for.
    Why? I'd try some custom mixes to give a tint which would look more like a continuation of the tinted glass, which woudn't be jet black, would have a tint of green (as does all the glass) and feature a very thick lacquer layer.

I'll probably leave my roof stock, unless I go further down the glass sunroof route, but thought I'd throw in my opinion.

• You guys from the darklands... :laugh:

I remember that sunny morning when I took the picture with the two cars next to each other. The appearance on the picture is an exact match in colour and contrast of the real thing. If you don´t believe it come from under your cloudy cloak to see for yourself :aetsch:

Since all the right guys throw the balls for me to catch them: for whatever reason Artic silver combined with Cosmos black is that combination that was sold in the highest numbers.

The three colours Avusblau, Hellrot and Arktissilber were the only ones available for the Japanese M-Individual M62´s between 1996 and the end of production in 1999. A total of 299 M62 and 3 M60 prototypes were built with the M62 production run consisting of 155 Artic silver, 123 Avus blue and 21 Bright red.

All the black roofs of the M-Individual were finished in Cosmos black metallic.

The car to the right on the picture with 2 black roofers is out of a series of 58 cars for the Middle East where the top end was finished in Uni-Black 2 (Schwarz 2). This indeed included the plastic thing at the windscreen edge of the bonnet. The cars for Japan with the exemption of the red ones did not originally have this wind deflector in black, mine does because it´s what I like :D
    The choice of black to me does not make a difference at all.

Maybe because many roofs today are black (glass) or in the M-division even carbon fibre I have the feeling that the colour contrast takes a few years off the age of the 8. But then, I am biased :laugh:

Even in the very beginning of the development (ca. 1987/1988) one could spot a black roofed (white) E31. Rumour has it that this was a prototype to test "some" contraption in the roof providing power aka solar cells or something similar. I rather think this to be some sort of E31 myth judging from the available headroom for the average westerner.

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!