Check that front panel.

• Following my recent post on the removal of the sill extensions to check for hidden corrosion, I thought I might do this very small post on another area to check.

The front panel that supports the underside of the radiator is a real dirt and water trap and with the leaves and rubbish that collect there, it is usual for the panel to stay permanently damp in most climates.

To make matters worse, this panel is missed by the robots that originally painted the cars so as you can see from my pic, it is still in undercoat/primer from the factory.

Here you can see small blisters in this primer at EVERY POINT there is a drain hole in my otherwise as-new panel. Each blistered area has been circled.

Should I ever remove the remaining parts of the front of my car anywhere near the bodyshop, I will have them paint this in body colour stonechip but until them, each area has been double treated with a rust inhibitor and I will protect each area with a new coat of paint for added protection.

Its probably worthwhile giving this area a good clean if you ever remove the radiator.

8Tech.

• This sure looks familiar to me:

As Gerry says between the radiators all sorts of leaves accumulate and we found a good handful of musky and humid oak leaves keeping the place, well, wettish. What can be seen underneath the car may as well have started top down and the more labour intensive part may be yet to come:

Unfortunately this part is welded to the chassis structure and not all that easy to replace once it´s beyond repair.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von Timm;99774

Although welded on, it is available as a spare part - I had mine replaced after giving it a jolly good kerbing.

and if the price on https://shop.bmw-classic.de is correct part # 41 11 8 108 778 is even dirt cheap (ok, compared to the general price level). :laugh:
    Since it of course looks ugly on my car as well I might as well replace it when I swap the engine.

• Useful link that, Wokke, Thanks.

Also worth noting, The list price from BMW for a steering swivel joint p/n 32 31 1 158 347 is quoted as Eur 127.70, I just bought one from an outfit called All German Parts Ltd based in Leeds (http://www.allgermanparts.co.uk) £43+vat. Apparently they can get hold of any ZF / Lemforder stuff. The part I have looks genuine just with part of the mfr's ID ground off.

Seemed like a nice genuine chap too.

Hope this is useful.

MB

• Mine needs replacing having looked at it recently as Gerry said its a trap for all things damp!
    I will email BMW tomorrow for a price it can then sit in the cupboard waiting for the next school holiday!:grin2:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Thanks, Bookmarked!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!