Headlight upgrades and rust :(

• Two topics...

Headlights
    Anyone replaced ALL the headlight units in the pop-ups with HID projectors etc?

I have seen a mod where someone has put dip and main beam in the FTP... is this a common trick? the reflectors for the main beams in teh FTP have lost all their reflective coating :banghead:

Also

I have a few areas of rust around the sun roof, middle of the windscreen and in the corner of the wind screen. I dread to think what lies beneth but I have a leak that comes in from the top corner and on wet days when driving I get water soaking through the top of the pillar.

Is it easy to remove the windscreen rubber trim and re-use it after a bit of sanding/filling/spraying to hold off the rust progress until i can afford to get a proper body shop to do it?

Thanks

Matt

• Zitat von Matt;101393

Two topics...

Both Expensive!!

Zitat von Matt;101393

Headlights
    Anyone replaced ALL the headlight units in the pop-ups with HID projectors etc?

I have seen a mod where someone has put dip and main beam in the FTP... is this a common trick? the reflectors for the main beams in teh FTP have lost all their reflective coating :banghead:

Once the coating is gone it is replacement only at £200 each.

There are a number of posts about the windscreen edge and sunroof rust. It is usually bad news and if your's is leaking you need to get it checked out. I don't believe there is any quick fix.

Can you post photos so that others can give you better guidance?
    Cheers
    Graham

• I do have a complete HID conversion on low beams, high beams, fog lights as well as FTP lights.
    But the FTP reflectors are crappy even if brand new in comparison to the bucket high beams. The are really only made for FTP (flash to pass) and can't replace the high beams.

BTW, HID in the fog lights is a massive improvement. :top:

Cheers
    Wolf

• Zitat von wokke;101400

I do have a complete HID conversion on low beams, high beams, fog lights as well as FTP lights.

Servus Wolf,

where did you put all the Ballasts for the 3 HIDs/Lamp and how did you routed all the cables?
    (I'm fed up with the chinese H1-HID crap and going to convert to D2S).

Cheers,
    Steve

• None of the HID conversions are MOT legal anymore and I have yet to see a set that give good results.

We have installed a number of customers own kits and sebsequently removed them again, and some have failed.

The HID's in the front lamp clusters have only been done a couple of times sucessfully in the US and they were not kits but DIY projects.

If you have rust around the sunroof edge, you need a new sunroof panel and seal. I have a good used panel at the moment. The panels are cheap enough to replace as they are double skinned and to repair properly costs more than a new panel.

You will need to remove the screens to repair the rust around them, so budget for new screens as they may well shatter once removed. Again I have a pair of top-tint screens pre-fitted and 3 months old if needed.

8Tech.

• Hmm

Thanks for the replys.. Ill try and get some pics up.

As for MOT legality, Im not 100% sure but I think as long as the correct projector lens and head light lens are uses along with self-levelling then its OK.

...Or if you have a rather 'sympathetic' MOT tester ;). Having said that I would want blatantly illegal lights that blind the on-coming traffic!

The rust issue is sounding expensive!!! :(.

btw love this forum... WAY better than bimmerforums and the accompanying gestapo. What's ironic is the search function in this forum actually sort of works!

• The requirement for self-levelling and headlight washers has been temporarily rescinded or delayed. I have not heard of any after-market Xenon's being failed yet in the UK.

• Zitat von Timm;101436

The requirement for self-levelling and headlight washers has been temporarily rescinded or delayed. I have not heard of any after-market Xenon's being failed yet in the UK.

I've checked with my local mot station and they say the same thing. no problem with HIDs. having seen a car halfway through a conversion, ie one light hid and one light still halogen, the difference in output is huge. the white light also modernises the looks too.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!