New Windscreen Options?

• Hi All,

After a friend of mine just got a new windscreen fitted on his car it gor me thinking about replacing the one on my 840. There are no issues with mine currently other than 12 odd years of use which shows up the odd little mark in direct sunlight.

My insurance company quotes 75 quid if done through nationwide windscreens (or something to that effect) and 150 quid if done elsewhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should get a new one fitted? Ideally I would like to get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Has anyone had this done on theirs recently?

Thanks

Fraser

• Hi Fraser,
    I had a new screen fitted a couple of years back via Gerry at Phoenix. He uses a company that know what they're doing, I think it was called something like Old Skool Screens but Gerry would know. The difference between old and new was like night and day, the old screen had thousands of micro scratches that scattered light, the new is as clear as well, glass really.

BTW, I think Wayne meant Jeweler's Rouge (not rough, probably just a typo), it might be worth having a go with that first.
    Cheers

• The screen forms part of the rigidity of the car so if you replace it you have to use a BMW Screen, if you don't the screen can crack.

The screen edge is also a place for corrosion to set in so be prepared for more than one job.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Thanks for the replies. I will maybe give that polish a go to see what happens. Can't do any harm!

I have three lights left before my next service and I plan on taking it down to Phoenix Motorsport for it along with a few other outstanding issues/improvements:

- Air con leak
    - ABS pump fix
    - New fuel lines
    - Braided brake hoses
    - Some jacking pads
    - New batteries

...may aswell add the new windscreen to that too! Could get expensive next year :(

• Hi Fraser

I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass at Stirling about 2 years ago.
    I did it through my insurance company.

They did a perfect job.

I know some Autoglass work has been criticised but I can recommend Stirling based on my experience.

Might be worth considering as not a zillion miles away from you.

Cheers.
    Hayden

• Hopefully Hayden, you got a better service than they usually do on the E31, cutting out the old one, scraping up the paint and then just bonding over the bare metal to install the new screen. Most of the cars we see with the dreaded rust along the front roof edge is because of that.

They dont expect the problem to show itself as the cars they usually do only have a 5-10 year life anyway.

You will see in a few years if that is the case.

Also, Autoglass quoted me DOUBLE the cost of installing a screen and supplying it than BMW did!! No wonder our insurances are going up and many no longer include windscreen cover.

8Tech.

• Thanks for the info Gerry.....I am now a worried man !!!

I had a respray bonnet and roof at the time of the windscreen replace.
    The respray was done at Menzies BMW bodyshop in Stirling and they arranged for Autoglass to come to their premises and fit the replacement screen.....whole job supervised by BMW on behalf of insurance company.
    Hopefully therefore I should not get the problem you describe...however I am going to talk to BMW and Autoglass to make sure job done as perfectly as I had assumed.

Cheerrs again.
    Hayden

• Yes, be careful with installing a new windscreen. Though, if you have one already (most cars do after 4 or 5 years) then you should check under the rubber surround. Here's an autoglass job below.

No mastic at all in some places (allowing water to flood the ABS control unit in the passenger footwell) and too much in others, blocking the water channels beneth the rubber trim suround, trapping water and causing rust.

The e31 repair manual contains the correct proceedure for windscreen replacement.

In many cases, the quality of the work is down to the actual fitter and I have seen that Autoglass now have a nifty cheese-wire system to extract the windscreen with minimal damage to paint.

The outer rubber surround should be replaced and it is mportant to ensure that the water drain channels beneath is are not obstructed by excessive mastic and that any paint damage is properly looked after.

If you still have a factory windscreen, my advice is not to touch it.

For this reason, I'd also rather leave the original rear screen, even if delaminalting slightly at the edges and some heater connections corroded/not working.

• Zitat von HD;104279

.....I am now a worried man !!!

Hayden

The rubber trim surround should not be bonded in with the mastic around the glass. Hence, the easiest way to check is to carefully prise the rubber trm away, starting from the top corners, where it slides under the roof-rack rails. It should come off fairly easily.

If not, it's probably been glued in with the mastic and hence are also likely to find the water drain ways also blocked.

Anyway, pull it out, around thee top corners, and at least until half way down the screen and check the condition of the paint under there.

If all is good, then spray or paint with some waxoyl and replace the rubber trim.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!