Polite question for Timm

• Timm - its an open-ended question i hope you won't mind my asking. I have just read back the whole post and it sounds like an interview. This was not my intention, pardon me. :oops:

I know you've got plenty of experience with various BMWs but I was curious how your specific E31 experience has been gathered. Do you often drive other people's 8s for example? thereby learning things you wouldn't by just driving your own. Or do you simply just assimilate it all from the few 8s you yourself have owned? Do you tinker with your cars to find stuff out, or do you only learn things when you are forced to perform a repair? Do you hang out with other enthusiasts and mutually enhance your knowledge base or is it mostly self taught? Is there any single reason or event that inspired the creation of you how-to site(s)?

Do you go out of your way to learn about technical things that are still outside your direct experience? Or does it just gradually happen..Also, do you feel you learn much yourself by interacting with people on the 'net? Is it something you would be doing anyway even if the internet didn't exist for you to communicate?

Lastly, are you just a keen motorist (pardon the simplistic term) that has ventured further than most with that interest, or did you have some relevant background in engineering or a career in something related?

i sense you are quite modest so hope u don't mind me asking, not intending to pry. :top:

• I also had a random question for reinhard, if he spots it here? [not worth starting a 2nd thread for, but could happily exist here maybe].

When you meet friends/ people with 8 series, do you guys only ever drive your own cars or are people at all interested in 'trying out' other people's 8s just for fun?
    For some reason, I imagine you having driven 100 E31s in your life. Please correct this if its a myth :toothbrush:

I remember a similar topic was being discussed once on the American 8 Series site, the general agreement over there was, nobody else drives my 8! I wondered if maybe our European friends take a more laissez faire attitude. Personally, I would like to drive 100 E31s just to feel the nuances and differences but maybe thats just me. In the UK, insurance issues make this kind of idea romantic and frankly stupid, but maybe thats not the case in Europe where the insurance tends to cover the car, rather than a named driver?

Thanks if you can be bothered to answer these questions gentlemen!

• Myth. :lol:

I probably sat in 30 or so but driving? Maybe a dozen in total with more or less half of them my own. I am no good at butt-dynoing problems or changes in a car. I notice differences between 16 and 18" rims but that´s about it really. Nevertheless I am probably one of the 8er-drivers over here that has spent the longest distances at the wheel. Over the course of 10 yrs we put roughly 130k mls on our fleet. Not bored yet - 500 mls this past weekend ;)

Leaving the field for Timm here :top:

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

• That's a lot of questions BB!

Like Reinhard, I've sat in loads and have driven a few, probably 10 or so. I've driven loads of 7-Series though, and they share many bits and bobs with the E31. I rarely meet other owners, but some do come around for me to 'have a look' at problems with cars that do not involve the rusty bit underneath. Nearly all of the initial knowledge comes from the E31, E32 and E38 Forums where I love to find how problems are solved - and from working on my own cars that break with great regularity. Like a lot of Forum users, I like investigating things on the Internet, and that is quite easy even for a lazy person like me - and that information might as well be of use to others - so I started documenting stuff on meeknet.

I certainly don't tinker with cars these days, the 'How-To's' only get written if I've had to mend something - to be honest, I don't really enjoy working on cars as I usually break something else or remove a lump of my body. And that really gives the impetus to document a repair, I absolutely hate to see anyone else break as much stuff as I do. I do enjoy solving problems though, that's what it's all about. I am a keen driver though, but who wouldn't be when you have an E31 to drive! I learned basic mechanics from working on 2-stroke motorbike engines - my twin brother and I did schoolboy motorbike trials on Villiers-Greaves, I really am that old.

• It is good to know that there are people around like Reinhard and Timm ( and the others they know themselves as topic is about just both ) especially when you have e31 here in Türkiye. Always helpful and directive to the others with endless knowledge and experience to the right way. This makes me feel that I am not alone here:top:

And by these information I strangely realised that those kind of people are like us, not from above :mrgreen-angel:

• Zitat von dennis320;108730

And by these information I strangely realised that those kind of people are like us, not from above :mrgreen-angel:

Funny you say this, i think i asked the question with that thought in my mind! And of course the question could have been asked towards others, ie Gerry. The reason I addressed Timm was because I saw him answer a really obscure query elsewhere. And I wondered, how does he come to experience all these issues, unless he is often fixing other peoples E31's..

Zitat von Timm;108720

To be honest, I don't really enjoy working on cars as I usually break something else or remove a lump of my body. And that really gives the impetus to document a repair

This is a key point from Timm's reply I think, I must admit I assumed he really enjoyed tinkering!

• Documentation particularly underpinned by senseful photos is a great help for mechanical idiots like me, preventing me to seriously damaging other elements of the car having worked properly before. Therefore any of that is highly appreciated. I already bookmarked Timm's page for several tasks on my to do list for the B12 ;)
    So keep on going TImm and others.

• "To be honest, I don't really enjoy working on cars as I usually break something else or remove a lump of my body. And that really gives the impetus to document a repair"

I wonder how many of us feel the same way? I cannot claim to be as public spirited as Timm, but certainly recognize the reluctance when it comes to working on cars. In my case I work on them because I am too tight or skint to pay somebody else to do it. There is simply no way I would have been able to run my 8 without the help of this site and it's noted luminaries, Gerry, Reinhard, Timm...et al.

• Zitat von MB;108789

"To be honest, I don't really enjoy working on cars as I usually break something else or remove a lump of my body. And that really gives the impetus to document a repair"

I wonder how many of us feel the same way? I cannot claim to be as public spirited as Timm, but certainly recognize the reluctance when it comes to working on cars. In my case I work on them because I am too tight or skint to pay somebody else to do it. There is simply no way I would have been able to run my 8 without the help of this site and it's noted luminaries, Gerry, Reinhard, Timm...et al.

+1 !!! :top: :top:

• Zitat von MB;108789

"To be honest, I don't really enjoy working on cars as I usually break something else or remove a lump of my body. And that really gives the impetus to document a repair"

To me it makes a huge difference if I WORK on a car or just REPAIR it.
    REPAIR:
    mostly sucks and I don't fancy it because all I do is bring something back into a previous state.

WORK:
    This is enjoyable to me because I improve design or performance or whatever - at least IMO ;)
    Things like spherical bearings in upper control arms or adding the X-brace to a pre '92 E31 and finding out that my ideas work.
    Or making a M73 run on M70 electronics, something I wanted to do already for a looooong time and finally got to it with a great result.
    Or paint my car YELLOW :laugh:

Cheers
    Wolf

• Zitat von MB;108789

..........There is simply no way I would have been able to run my 8 without the help of this site and it's noted luminaries, Gerry, Reinhard, Timm...et al.

I'll second that! I do enjoy working on my car when it's a warm sunny day or I have a decent garage (currently in temporary rental accommodation while I look for a new house so no chance of that at the moment). I find taking my time and ensuring the job is done well (all bolts cleaned and greased, waxoyl whenever a hard to reach area is revealed, etc) is mentally relaxing and satisfying - but maybe I'm a sad old git, as my son reminds me!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!