• I thought I'd give an end of life report on my tyres. They were Falken FK453, purchased in July 2008. They have lasted just 10,000 miles with the tread now at legal minimum and cracks have appeared in the side walls. I would not recommend this make/type of tyre. They have worn quickly over a small mileage and the cases have not remained in a safe condition.

Edit: Sorry Timm - they are FK452 tyres that have worn out.

However, I am struggling to find ANY replacement tyres to fit the rear wheel (265/40/R17). I am told by many tyre dealers that they are no longer made in this size. I have the M System-II wheels. I can get this width/ratio tyre in an 18", no problem, but having just bought new tyres for the Front: (ContiSport Contact 5 XL [which are excellent but they don't do this tyre in the rear size]), I don't want to have to change a complete set of original wheels just to go up to 18"!!

If ANYONE has a pair of rear tyres 265/40/17 sitting around in their garage PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, get in touch:winkwink:

Stumbled across two Dunlop SportMaxx - the only tyres left in correct size at £210 each inc fitting. I was despairing and thought I might have to go to 275/40/17 to get alternatives such as Michelin PilotSport2. Worth noting if you have the M System-II wheels - getting rear tyres is going to get very, very difficult.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Thanks! Especially as I have Falken 453's fitted! The (now defunct) Falken 452's were excellent, for me, so far, the Falken 453's have provided excellent grip in the wet and dry.

• July 2008…I can't even remember anything that happened to me that year, it was so long ago? :oops:

I've heard the only difference between the 452s/453s, is that now they have this built-in "bar of soap" thing apparently they really fly! (literally)

just kidding timm … and Angus :oops:

• Having just sold my car (Hooray!)(Sob!)(Bit of both) I was considering what tyres to put on my 635d. The 19" wheels and run flats (granite side walls) are endangering my spine.
    I was considering 453 "go flats", but..........
    The runflat Bridgestones are almost new, but just too "sporty" for this old crock ;)

• I'm having the same problems finding a tyre that size.

So far all I've found are FK-453's, Toyo Proxes T1 Sports and Hankook Ventus S1 Evo K107's. I've no experience of the latter, although the Falkens were super all around on my Impreza.

• I'm driving the Falken 452 on both of my 840s for years now and I'm very satisfied with them.
    They become a bit louder as they worn down but otherwise they are still very nice to drive.
    Maybe you got a pair where the tyre compound was defective. (Which would be still a shame).
    Many of us here in Germany drive that tyre on the rear wheels (because there is not much to choose from) and as I know most of us are happy with it.

Cheers
    Steve

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;119823

I was despairing and thought I might have to go to 275/40/17 to get alternatives such as Michelin PilotSport2. Worth noting if you have the M System-II wheels - getting rear tyres is going to get very, very difficult.

I am aware of the problem of finding the rear tires in the right size for the 17" rims... :roll:
    I for one I was thinking about to use 255/40/17. After all the E34 M5 used this tire size combination on the very same M-System II rims (aside from the offset...). All E34 with the factory 17" BBS Y-spoke used this combination too.

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• Toyo proxes T1 are still available in this size. Also, Hancook Ventus S1 around. Not sure if they are still being made, but still in stock at a few places. Was trying to get some a couple of months ago. Ended up getting old Michelins from ebay. Just check description to ensure no puncture repairs.

• Danilo, you might find the sidewalls have to be stretched a bit on the 255 - perhaps better to go to 275?

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Well... I don't think so.
    Surely stretched a bit wider than with the original 265, but after all they still are 26mm wider than the rim well of 9":

255mm-(9inch*25,4mm)=26,4mm

I think it would look ok. This would be anyhow the look of a standard M5 rear wheel... it didn't looked stretched back then :mrgreen:
    In the end this is probably a matter of attitude: regarding the rear wheels I am a convinced assertor of "less is more" :winkwink:

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• I had Toyo Proxes S1's all 'round on my 730i, and was impressed in every respect. I eventually wore the rears away and fitted Toyo Proxes T1, these have a different tread pattern and have a special 2" band on the outer edge - I found them immediately less stable and had poor directional control under braking with the rear seemingly to want to overtake the rest of the car. The car was noticeably less stable and I never got used to them.

• In my personal experience I have been very happy with Michelin Supersport. have them on my 8, and on the M3 I just sold.
    after 10-12.000km they were about half worn, and the grip is great, no tramlining at that wear level, so that is a tire I would recommend. but I guess they are on the pricey side.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!