x drilled discs for 850

• Hi Guys,

The car went in for an MOT today (roadworthiness test for those who aren't familiar with UK procedures) and there's an advice note for one of the front discs.

I can get vented discs no problem, but quite fancy a pair of cross drilled. Would anyone know of a UK supplier? Or does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Nick

PS The bas****s in the garage also scuffed my o/s rear rim and claim it was already there when I took it in!

• On my last 850 I bought the Zimmerman cross drilled rotors at a cost of $280. U.s. from BMA.

Yesterday, I bought a set of Brembo cross drilled rotors that have been cadmium plated from Nights Auto in Canada. $147 for the front set, and $113 for the rear set, ($305.00 for all 4, including shipping to Michigan, USA). sales@nightsauto.com from the U.s., 1-(800) 823-6945

Can't help you with the UK suppliers I'm afraid.

• Hi Nick,

I was talking to a guy the other day about his M% and he had Brembo brake set up on his car.

He spoke very highly of them saying that his stock brakes also felt a little spongy - hence the upgrade.

This is the UK Brembo agent - perhaps they can give you a quote.

http://www.ecparts.co.uk/

Ian

PS - Sorry to hear about your rim - seems like we all suffer the same lack of respect and honesty from garages. I think we all need to digitally photograph our cars, get the mechanic to sign off on them before they start job so we have some recourse afterwards if things get damaged. Sounds extreme, but I have heard too many cases of damage being swept under the carpet and the poor owner left to pick up the peices (and bill)

• I recently had some work done at my local dealer, and they kindly washed the car for me afterwards. The trouble is, the guy doing the washing obviously had some grit in the sponge (either that or he used sandpaper) because there were all sorts of little scratches on the car that hadn't been there before. :cry:

But the garage was great. I showed the scratches to the service manager (fortunately I noticed them before I drove away) and he was so grovelling in his apology I thought he was going to hang the poor washguy for his mistake! Anyway, the dealer made good the damage at their cost, looks perfect now. :D

Needless to say I shall be using them again

• Thanks guys,

I nade an enquiry with Motormec.co.uk as I used to deal with them with an old e31 Alpina I had. They may be able to get hold of a set of ATE power discs.

I looked at the wheel damage in the light of day today and got that sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. I phoned the garage and they were understanding. They know me well as my office used to be opposite and a few of the guys used them for tyres/exhausts etc.. They know I wouldn't try it on, so they've offered to have the wheel refurbished. A guy from a company called Chips Away called me this afternoon to arrange an inspection. Problem is that, although the wheel look in excellent condition, you can't just have one done can you.......

Nick

• I had the ATE Powerslots on my 750iL and they tend to make a growling noise at 20-30 MPH when braking. They also eat up the pads faster than drilled and therefore produce more dust. ATE also makes drilled I think, you might want to stick to these.

• Had you considered upgrading to the stock Euro-spec csi brake setup? Parts should be easily available, and that is the most common brake upgrade I've read about in the US for non-euro-spec csi's.

• Still waiting for a couple of places to get back to me. The brakes are fine at the moment, just like the look of drilled - especially as the wheels allow the discs to be seen. Although upgrading will increase efficiency, I'm doing it more for cosmetic reasons.

• Did you look up the site above at Nights Auto? Those Brembos coated with cadmium (gold in color) are awfully petty. The gold color wears off immediatly from where the pads rub, but everywhere else it prevents corrosion.

\Having this coating on the inside, where the fins dissapate heat, maket the coating a performance benefit, as usually corrosion reduces the ventings efficiency. Having the plating on the edges and the hat means they wont rust if it rains or if you wash the car. $300 for the set of 4 isn't bad.

• Tried to get into the site but it's under construction. I have e-mailed them but haven't got a reply yet. They are excellent value. Hope they ship to UK. I contacted the UK distributor for Brembo a few days ago, but they also haven't replied yet. They'll probably get in touch some time over the next week.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

• Here are the item numbers for the discs on EBay. I spoke to the guy at Nights Auto, he got your email this morning, hasn't gotten around to answering it yet. He gave me these numbers.

Front 2461477629

Rear 2461477689

• Hi Stuart,

Got the reply from Gino at Nights Auto. The price for all four discs is just $260 - excellent value. However, as I'm in the UK the shipping is $240.

I'm still waiting for a few other places to get back to me - especially the guys from Brembo UK. I'm off to Namibia quad racing over the desert on Thursday for a week :lol::lol::lol: so I'll chase them up when I get back.

Cheers,

Nick

• hey guy's - i found brembo does not have a canadian company site or a dedicated dealer here - closest company/dealer listings for n. america is in the states.
    hopefully this nights auto prices stand - the prices i found all seem to be similarly priced @ $263.00 front , 219.00 rear (american) for the drilled or slotted .
    ie http://www.coximport.com/brembol/sport-bmw.html
    can you get Gino's/nights auto address or are they only on the web.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!