Welcome to the UK section

• Hi people and welcome to the UK section of the Clube31.com forum.

I would just like to take this opportunity to welcome you and to add that if there is anything i can personally do to help then please to not hesitate to contact me using the forum PM feature. I will be more than happy to help to the best of my ability.

Can i also add... check out Alasdairs Gaydon meet posts that are bouncing around, he has put in a lot of effort and it looks like it is going to be a good day. Can i also take this opportunity to thank Alasdair for the hard work he has put in and the committment he has shown - you are a credit to the club.

Cheers

Al
    forum moderator

• Hi Al,

Please can you help me :?:

I have placed a photo in my personal gallery and thought this would be my avatar.
    However I still have no thumbnail :( .

Can you tell me where I am going wrong :?:

• Hi mate,

As far as i know... the first picture you place into your gallery will be your avatar. If the image is too big, however, it will not become your avatar.

All i can suggest is: if you resize your image and try again or if that fails, email me your image and i will resize it and we can try again.

I am not a forum admin so i do not have access to every setting, i will see what i can do myself but it may be that you have to wait til Philippe comes online.

If there is anything i can help with or if you have any questions then please to not hesitate to PM or email me.

Al

• Please Please can someone give me some advice so I may be able to drive my lovely beast! I put my 850 in a garage for 4 weeks or so and it was running perfectly well. When I returned to start it and take it out, it would not fire up. 3 evenings and much recharging of both batteries saw me this evening from 5.30 to 11pm pratting about trying to get it to start. I eventually got it to start, but not on all cylinders, it bellows unburnt fuel out of the pipes and smells rich like it hasnt been burnt too.. There is good spark, and there are 10 litres of fresh petrol in it. I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it going, but when you engage drive, as its an auto, it just dies as you cant just keep feathering it all the time. It is backfiring like a shot gun also. Friends of mine thinks its a damp problem, it is possible, the garage where it has been housed is not fully kept away from the elements.. I very much would appreciate any feedback as I can use it at all, and is reluctant to start on the first turn of the key, you have to keep turning it over to get it to run very lumpy and will not idle on its own... Anyone with any ideas?? Where do I need to be jetting WD40 into to get it to work correctly? Do these things have inertia or cut off switches for the fuel feed...? Bit lost here, please can you email any useful info and pics if necessary to "rdmheard-smith@hotmail.co.uk"[/email] as I dont know how to retrieve messages from this site once I have posted this.. Thank you, David

• Hi,

it could be a number of things but since it was starting fine before you stored it in the garage it's probably something simple.

1) 10 litres of fuel isn't a whole lot in the 8 tank, it holds 90 litres so I'd start by adding more fuel to the tank. Bear in mind that if the engine is running that rich it will gobble fuel up fairly fast and repeated starting attempts won't help.

2) Make sure the batteries are properly charged (both of them)

3) Check your HT leads, Distributor Caps and Rotor Arms and make sure they are all clean and important, check that they are dry.

I would bet that the car has a dose of the sulks as it's cold and damp. I'm sure others will be along to add additional tips soon.

BTW, you don't need to retrieve messages from the forum, you can just check back and see if the thread has been added to, you can also set your user profile to send you and email notification if the thread is added to so that way you know when to check back.
    I will also copy this message to your email address (one tip, I wouldn't publish an email address on an open forum if I were you, you may notice a spam increase if you do)

This topic should probably be in the technical help section - perhaps a mod could shift these posts?

Cheers!

Zitat von oofazi;58735

Please Please can someone give me some advice so I may be able to drive my lovely beast! I put my 850 in a garage for 4 weeks or so and it was running perfectly well. When I returned to start it and take it out, it would not fire up. 3 evenings and much recharging of both batteries saw me this evening from 5.30 to 11pm pratting about trying to get it to start. I eventually got it to start, but not on all cylinders, it bellows unburnt fuel out of the pipes and smells rich like it hasnt been burnt too.. There is good spark, and there are 10 litres of fresh petrol in it. I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it going, but when you engage drive, as its an auto, it just dies as you cant just keep feathering it all the time. It is backfiring like a shot gun also. Friends of mine thinks its a damp problem, it is possible, the garage where it has been housed is not fully kept away from the elements.. I very much would appreciate any feedback as I can use it at all, and is reluctant to start on the first turn of the key, you have to keep turning it over to get it to run very lumpy and will not idle on its own... Anyone with any ideas?? Where do I need to be jetting WD40 into to get it to work correctly? Do these things have inertia or cut off switches for the fuel feed...? Bit lost here, please can you email any useful info and pics if necessary to "rdmheard-smith@hotmail.co.uk"[/email] as I dont know how to retrieve messages from this site once I have posted this.. Thank you, David

• Definitely remove the dizzy caps and dry out. If they are corroded then replace them... Eurocarparts or similar....

These cars hate low voltage so make sure both batteries are charged and holding charge....

Check and clean your spark plugs as well just as a matter of course...

After being 'dead voltage' for so long it will run rough for a little while, don't worry it will sync itself back up....

Hope this helps

Alex

• 8er--UK-- Support

Hi there Al

I have been a member since the club was originally UK only

Since it has changed over I find that it is no longer frequented by too many UK 8ers and this is sad

Apart from that I find it very confusing and difficult to get to the main english section and threads (I know my IT knowledge is not the greatest)
    but I am also not a complete idiot either

I noticed the other nite while paging thru trying to find my way that some other countries are setting up their own links in their own languages

Is it not possible to set up one for the UK so we can go straight to it

I do appreciate the input from some of the guys on the other side of the channel and their advice has been most welcome (in some cases they have been the only ones to respond) but Im afraid I am useless to them as I cant speak any of their languages

Also by the polls on the home page the bulk of the usage is in english anyhow so

Why not just make a full english page without having to sift thru all the blocks trying to guess which one to click on to get to speak to the UK (and the english speaking compatriots elsewhere) members

I know I must sound absolutely stupid but I have posted threads about issues I would have like help with and I cant even find where I posted them myself leave alone find any response

I do hope all the non english speaking members dont take exception to my dilema as I care for all of them just as much as our guys but I am finding it difficult to navigate thru this new 8ers Forum

I dont know if Im the only one with this problem and if so then I suppose Ill just have to keep finding my way in the dark

Ths

• Hi
    Al is no longer with us.

The forum you want is the Australia, New Zealand, North America, United Kingdom one Bookmark that spot.

Many of the European and world 8 Series forums have now condensed into this one. Many of the members cross the forum lines and join in on discussions. This increases the technical skills available to all members.

So welcome back.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!