840i vs 840Ci?

• According to the link posted on the VIN thread on this site, I found out my car is an 840i. So what is the real difference between the 840i and 840Ci? I can't find any facts on this...just heresay.

Concerned,

John

• You should find everything you need HERE

Read through it. I think the 840 was a 4.0 litre and the later 840Ci (like mine) was a 4.4.

Couldnt swear to it though.

Al

• 840i vs 840ci?

I have an 1995 840ci and the way it was explained to me, the US 850 models from 91-93 had the "i" and from 94-97 the 840 and 850 shared the "ci". There was basically no difference between the two other than the 94 was the first year of the 840's.

• The only place that I find the 840i referenced is where BMW is trying to split the parts list in the ETK between the 4.0 and 4.4

As far as I know All 840s are badged and titled as Ci.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• From what I have researched, (and I have been looking at numerous sites) the 840 has been in production from 94-97. From 94-95 the engine was a 4.0L. From 96-97 they changed it to a 4.4L. Somewhere in mid 95 there was a cross over from 4.0L to 4.4L. I have seen many 94 & 95 840Ci models. Some of them 4.0L and some 4.4L. I have never actually seen an 8 series that was badged 840i. Until I bought mine. At the time I didn't think much of it. Many people and sites have said there's no difference. And numerous sources only indicate "Ci" as an option, the "i" does not exsist. A few other sites say that there is even an "ia" model. Not that there is a big deal about this, but I don't want to go through life not knowing what my car truly is! I love my car and treat it as if were like my daughter.
    Here's the mystery, the emblem of my trunk only says 840 on it. There is however a slight outline of the "i" on it, which was taken off before I had purchased the car. There is not enough room for a "Ci" emblem, unless the 840 emblem is not the original. On the other hand, the metal plaquared on my door has 840Ci written on it.
    If my car is an "i", is it even worthy of being an 8? Or was I jipped by the dealer where I purchased her from? Hopefully the "i" is a good sign meaning she's more rare! =)

Okay, I've rambled on too long.

Cheers,

John

• hi guys

ive been reading some of your post with a degree of humur, the subject of 840i and ci is not that complicated rely, read on.

1 the first incarnation of the 840 was know as the 840i, it had a 4.0L v8 and standard body.

2 Later in its production the engine was uprated to 4.4L v8 (to increase the torque)

3 the final version was produced mid 97 and include the following

a, 4.4L v8
    b, M tech suspension (lower)
    c, M tech rims
    d, sports front seats
    e, M tech mirrors
    f, steptronic sports transmission

This car is known and badged as the "840 CI Sport"

hope this clears it up for you, but if anyone knows any different please feel free to correct me.

BTY I have a 4.4L CI sport

Alan

• hi guys!
    I have a 1993 840 and on the oficial papers comes as 840 Ci A. The fact of the A is that the first units of the 840 didn't have as an option the manual gearshift so it was automatic or automatic :wink:
    This one was bought in spain I don't know for other countries, but it is for sure one of the first models in production.
    greatings

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!