Article on why NOT to Upgrade your car

• Original

I agree with Tall tony.
    Further more I dont allways agree with original cars going for money than fully professionally refurbished cars.

Theres a program called over haul on discovery channel and maybe some of you should watch it. Its all about customissing the car to a unique one off original look. And Ive also seen an 8 series resprayed wich looks even better than factory finish as it wasnt sprayed by a machine but hand sprayed like a rolls royce or a bentley.

This particular 8 series is up for sale on auto trader marked up for £16995. Its in green and i actually bought the original set of bbs alloys from the owner a guy called brent. Ive seen the car in the flesh and its in superb concours condition if not the best one ive seen. The owner told me that he spent £15000 pounds respraying the car and theres no reason not to believe him.

Talking about prices it makes you wonder why hes priced it accordingly against other 8 series for sale. Most people will look at it and will think its over priced and go for a newer reg with less miles. But if I could I would love to buy this particular eight and in my opinion is the best eight series ive ever come accross.

• Respray

resprays-and Mods - Im all for it
    Done most of what can be done ie shocks + springs lowering etc...
    BTW BMW Hong Kong does a special for BMW owners every year
    Full BMW respray - original colour for 15000 HK$ or about 1000 pounds sterling - I am very tempted.
    I know a couple of blokes here who have resprayed to a different shade of black which looks really nice. Below are all HK cars (except the 2 tone) ... the silver 850 one was mine and is now with a new owner in the UK...
    Cheers
    richard

• Let's not get too precious about this originality thing. If you buy an 8 with the belief that it's value will eventually increase, good luck. But, you're not going to be deriving any enjoyment from actually driving it, as you'll be unwilling to add miles to it.

Mine is standard, mainly because I'm quite happy with the finished article as BMW intended. Of course more power is always welcome, no matter how much you started with. 286 bhp seems to me to be decently capable of moving the weight of the thing respectibly rapidly. I suppose I could easily add an extra 10 - 15bhp relatively cheaply, but, then i'd probably wonder how it might be with another 10 -15 bhp!

It's only a bloody motor car, you've paid for it, so do what you want with it, and don't worry about the people who look down their noses because you've "modified" it.

If I won the lottery I would get an old Mercedes 190 SL and pay stupid money to have a supercharged Mercedes V8 in it together with all suspension, braking, steering mods. I would then take it to club meets and enjoy the outraged comments about "destroying" a "classic". :wink:

• Zitat von Hemibum

It's only a bloody motor car, you've paid for it, so do what you want with it, and don't worry about the people who look down their noses because you've "modified" it.

If I won the lottery I would get an old Mercedes 190 SL and pay stupid money to have a supercharged Mercedes V8 in it together with all suspension, braking, steering mods. I would then take it to club meets and enjoy the outraged comments about "destroying" a "classic". :wink:

don't get me started on what I would do to my 8 should I ever win the lottery.....

:lol:

• Come on Tony, What would you actually do to your 8 to improve what you already have? Where do you think that you can improve what you have? Power? Dynamics? Roadholding? Would your "improvements" maybe impinge on the original ethos of the car? We have to remember that these things were manufactured before we all got to be so clever.

Nothing wrong with a genuine attempt to sort out real shortcomings in a vehicles design and manufacture, but, I'd be very interested to hear where we, the great unwashed know better than BMW. This is not to say, given the F ups that BMW have presented that they are beyond criticism.

Let's face it, if you own an 8 then you are subliminally , like it or not part of the ethos of BMW's marketing strategy. OK, not at first hand. How many of us here actually bought one new? Let's find out how many of us bought one new. My guess would be none of us. Anyone care to comment on why that should be? :wink:

• My paperwork says mine cost about £66,000 new with its the extras.
    I paid £8,500 exactly 8 years after it was first sold.
    That's an average of some £7,300 a year in depreciation.
    £58,500 in total lost value.

To live with that kind of depreciation from new you need to be either very rich, a very keen enthusiast, or mad, or all three!

• UK Zero, Good summation. Does this mean that we are some sort of automotive vultures? Quite like the idea actually. Let the rich take the depreciation so we petrolheads take advantage of their taxable company dodges. However, as I asked, anyone out there ever bought an 8 new?

Don't think so somehow. Think, even if you had the outrageous disposable income to buy one new, you would, by definition, be driving around in the latest 6 series ( if you'd still be a BMW customer), which, given the recent offerings by Mr. Bangle would be extremely unlikely.

And, would you really want to be associated with the type of person who drives a new 6 series? ( C'mon it's your boss) But, think forward. In 10 years time won't there be a burgeoning club for 6 series owners?

Will this new breed be as loyally enthusiastic about their wheels as this generation? :wink:

• UK Zero, Good summation. Does this mean that we are some sort of automotive vultures? Quite like the idea actually. Let the rich take the depreciation so we petrolheads take advantage of their taxable company dodges. However, as I asked, anyone out there ever bought an 8 new?

Don't think so somehow. Think, even if you had the outrageous disposable income to buy one new, you would, by definition, be driving around in the latest 6 series ( if you'd still be a BMW customer), which, given the recent offerings by Mr. Bangle would be extremely unlikely.

And, would you really want to be associated with the type of person who drives a new 6 series? ( C'mon it's your boss) But, think forward. In 10 years time won't there be a burgeoning club for 6 series owners?

Will this new breed be as loyally enthusiastic about their wheels as this generation? :wink:

• Ok, assuming money (absolutely) no option..... :lol:

Firstly, I love the way the cars look, with he M Body Kit anyway, and my new wheels - can I mention that one more time ?? - so that's not an issue, just a good wax will do. So that only leaves mechanical improvements, and interior adjustments.

Mechanical/Functional, as that is most important : LSD, stainless exhast, SC, Lowered Springs - but I'd need those hydraulic struts that can raise the front end for Speed Bumps like on the new Lambos, and of course BIG Brakes, preferably ceramaic.

Interior : Full re-upholster in brand spanking new Nappa Leather.

Electrics : Proper Xenons, then rip the three DIN units out of the centre console and tastefully install an in car PC with touchscreen which would (somehow - the boffins who I'd pay tons to sort it) replace the need for dials and buttons and cover all functions concerning, in no preferential order, air con/heaters, OBC, radio/MP3/DVD/TV/DV3, sat nav, and PDC/rear park/suicide view front cameras, with full Bluetooth/wi-fi connectivity of course for communications. Basically a PC in the car. This is of course a pipe dream, but not in 2006 - take the new S Class for example.

None of this is necessary, my car is great as it is in all it's late 80s early 90s glory, but if I had £10 mill..........

You did ask............

:lol::lol::lol:

• Come on guys,

give a soul to 8 ;if we can not do this here , who can make??

in that way or other, but give a soul to your 8.

This is a car who can not somebody stiil not riscs try to own even had a budget...

to upgrade it in that way or other what is senses?

But I see a lot of friends here who they are still trying to keep them 8's in No1.

That's enough for me.
    Regards,
    Evren

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!