Some heavy cleaning

• Grewal,

I scraped it off with some steal wool which you normally use to clean pots and pans. (Oven cleaner also works, but I find that dangerous stuff regarding all the hoses.) It's a lot of work but the result is nice. Another member used a steel brush, but that seemed a bit radical. Nevertheless, that also gives nice results. After cleaning it off I spray painted the manifolds.

Peter

• Some heavy cleaning

Dear All ,
    Regarding the manifolds cleaning, to be honest I have asked the mechanic
    that did this job , and he told me that this needs a process which he will
    write to me so that I can in my tern send it to you all , cause the result
    is great .
    What I understood that the process need to clear the old ,beaked ,Cozmoline from the engine part with a special product bought from U.S.A.
    Then it will be treated to protect the part and manifold from rust ?
    I promiss you that I will send you in details all the process as soon as my
    machanic gives it to me .
    Regards
    JimmyA

• hello thanks alot for your help guyz but i got one more question what sort of paint did you use becasue i know thers alota heat in the engine so is there some special paint ? and is it white or gray?

• I used heat resistent paint, which is not very expensive. I think it was about 10 euro's a can and you can buy it at any DIY store. The only problem is that it doesn't harden at 90C but at 120C. So it takes a very long time to harden, because (hopefully) the engine doesn't get that hot.

• Jimmya,

The stuff your mechanic may be talking about is a product called Zymol Strik.
    This is a non-caustic, citric (oranges and lemons!) oil-based liquid used for removing Cosmoline and is also a good engine/general degreaser.
    Zymol is (I think) a US-based company and generally provides high-end waxes/polishes/cleaners.

Their products are available in UK through vertar.com but are **** expensive ! (check out the prices of some of their waxes)
    Zymol Strik is presently £34 for a 250ml bottle !!!
    Can go a long way though, as can be diluted with water depending on thickness/hardness of Cosmoline.
    Have used it on a new car of mine abroad that still had Cosmoline patches on exterior panels. Worked ok, diluted with water and sprayed on with eg small perfume or plant sprayer.

With remains of that bottle, I'm going to have a go at the valve covers and inlets on my CSi.
    Don't know how good it will be at removing 12 year old baked-on Cosmoline ?!

• I used some paint stripper from B & Q.
    I removed the intake manifolds first and all the attachments before using the paint stripper. This job is best paired with renewing the rubber fuel lines, rocker cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets.
    The results were amazing

• I would really like to see some RUSTY aluminium intake manifolds please!

Most paint strippers will remove the cosmoline but do not be tempted to shot/sand/glass/bead blast it off unless you completely seal off the manifold internals first.

The bare aluminium will need some sort of protection from OXIDISING once stripped, which means paint, powder coating or lots and lots of polishing.

With the manifolds off you could hone them and port match to the new gaskets.

IM job estimate is 10-12 hours plus cleaning time. Add a little extra for cam cover gaskets and banjo bolts.

8Tech.

• Zitat von adamski

also i would like to add that this yellow stuff provides anti rust protection,
    so bear in mind to protect it somehow again to avoid rusty chwasty :wink:

You only need to protect them if you live where there's lots of snow or salt in the air, Here in most of the states it's no problem!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!