M3 Vents. Should I -or- Shouldn't I ?

• These have been sitting on my shelf for getting on 5 months now and I am debating whether to fit them or sell them on Ebay.

I originally got the vents only, but later realised that to form the hole in the wing required for them would be extremely complicated - as M3 wings have a hole 'peened' inwards for the clips to fit behind.

I then found the Blackout Shrouds which would then clip behind the wall thickness of the 8 wing. The vents clip into these once the Shrouds are fitted to wing.

Only prob for me is that I really like the way the 'fingers' of the Vents on the M3 overlap the metal, and this effect would be lost using the Shrouds - see pictures. On the up side though they are Black so would match the colour of my car.

I also need to make a fitment/cutting template before my local bodyshop will touch them with their Plasma Cutter :?

Opinions and/or advice please :D

• If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that on the M3 the vents are fitted directly into the metal wing, the hole in which has a peened lip to ratain the spring clips on the vent. However, that to fit them onto the 8, without too much trouble, you would need to use a retaining-shroud insert, around the vent, which would take up space and not allow the edges of the vents to overlap the metal, in the manner that you like, as on the M3.

From your pictures, it seems that the shroud is very thin and would only make marginal difference to the final appearance. But you could partially cut off the 3 small tabs on the left and right of the shroud to make the fins stand out better (and give overlap on the metal rather than the shroud plastic). The shroud will probably still be adequately held by the long top and bottom "tabs"

Or, maybe you could remove the wings and glue (araldite) the vents in place from the rear, without the shrouds. You'd probably need to remove the wings anyway, to do a good job of cutting the holes and prepping them.

• This is exactly right. The M3 wings have holes 'pressed' out of them at source. It would be nigh on impossible to replicate this - at reasonable expensise - to the 8 wing.

I have thought about milling the plastic bits between fingers on the shrouds off, but am in two minds as to whether this would look good.

My main concern is whether the whole idea is one mod too far - because of the compromise I need to make in their fitments. Believe me if I could effectively replicate the M3 oem hole then they'd be straight on without question :D

• Now I'm a little bit of an "Original Polizei" (read with German accent)

So I would definitely say NO, and sell them on e-bay.

In my personal opinion Parts that belong to another car has nothing to do on the car in question.
    The 8 was never delivered with these vents so therefore they do not belong on an 8.
    However fitting CSI gear on a standard 8 is OK, these are 8 series parts, and you only cheat yourself by making you're car look like a CSI.
    Same with M-optic on a non M BMW (like the e36), looks good and is OK by me.
    Mods like body kits, stereo, wheels, suspension, hid/led lamps and so on are OK.

Just don't change the look of the car by putting on something that was never intended for the car.
    My stomach turn every time I See a BMW with "Lexus" rear lamps.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Well, if your question is should your or shouldn't you... then I would say NO.

These side vents on the M3 and likewise on the new MB SL and others are a sort of retro-bling to hark back to the old days of the CSL, the original SL etc. The E31 was designed as modern, techological tour-de-force and so fitting this kind of stuff, in my opinion, goes against the grain of the original design.

• Now you've got me Confussed Noggie :shock::roll::!:

"Original Polizei"Hey you were the guy Yesterday asking where to get Dark glass for 8 :shock::!:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• the retro styling is what I want to emulate. The new M5 and 6 series have them, RR Sport/Vogue, MB SL, Jags and Astons and it is a trend I like.

There is no difference to the Polizei in fitting my M6 Wheels for example, except that I didnt need to cut holes in any body panels to get them to fit. They are modern wheels on an old car, even though they are genuine BMW. Most people know me on here as anything but a purist. I've no intention of making any money on my car as an investment, plus I drive it too often for that !

but....... it's just the shrouds that put me off :?

Top picture 8)
    Bottom picture :?:

• I'm with you on this Tony, I like them, when I went to Gaydon last year I saw Steve's car he has them fitted and they look smart and make it look more agressive :lol: , the way they were fitted looks A1 as he had the body filled around the actual vents. Come on Steve put up a pic so we can all see please :D

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Wayne hi mate,

I can tell Tony is agonising over this so was in the process prior to your promter :D

Close up you can see that the body shop have blended in the shroud so as to hide the unsightly lines, but this does involve paint work obviously so again adding to the cost.

I cut the holes myself using an air saw,its not difficult especially for a man of your led/hid modifying talents :lol::lol:

• @Steve840
    tinted windows don't change the original look of the car, hence is not stepping away from the original look of the car. M3 vents and Lexus style lamps are.

-------

I personally dont think the M3 vents will fit the 8 very nice.
    I've seen e36 with these vent on and it looks horrible.

If the car was not delivered with it, or the kit is specially buildt for the car, don't put i on.

When it comes to wheels, specially the M6 mentioned, like I said wheels are a different story.
    If I could get my hands on some 19" wheels from the early 1990's I would.
    It's just that noone make wheels like that anymore, so one has to look at what is on the marked today and buy the ones one likes the best.

I would'nt dream about cutting in my 8 to fitt M3 vents, nor would I put a huge wing on my boot, or a "combat" front spoiler or E36 M3 style side skirts.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Noggie

I hear what you keep pointing out BUT "each to there own" :D

Personally i havn't owned a single car without doing some sort of personalisation /modification to make it slightly different from the run of the mill out of the factory look :roll: that is the fun of it :D

It is better a day as a lion than a lifetime as a lamb

Lead never follow

best regards

stevep

• My opinion!...We're not talking Alpinas or mint CSIs are we? so i say go for it. Its one of only a couple or so mods i think look damm good on our cars. Regarding the vent w/o the shroud i'd go to a bodyshop that does custom work, if still no go i still think it will look the biz with the shroud, espicially as your car is black. Not so sure of the red pic and as much as i hate to say it but...Steves vents look factory, amazing what can be done with a grinder, hammer and bolster :D .
    Im still thinking how to do mine, maybe a variation on the Vanquish fin, just to be that bit different.
    Les

• While you're in the mood Les take the angle grinder to the bonnet & fit the Vanquish vents in there as well. :D

I'm surprised you didn't comment on my reduced photo :cry:

• looking at the three pictures, obviously the vents fitted directly into metal look by far the best. The lip showing on the red car's looks bad, and Steve's effort is a good compromise. However, if you want to achieve the first, I think that a solution would be to cut the holes and finish the edges by hand to achieve a good fit with smooth edges. Then fit the vents and bond them in place. And then finish with filler paste to replicate the rolled metal edge of an M3 wing. But this is probably a lot of work.

• hi guys

i see all of your points on the vents and i ve done a bit of venting on my own cars in the past, but i always make sure that every mod i do actualy has a purpose if not it just doesnt sit right with me so i would sell em, no offence to all you modders :)

alan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!