LSD.... A mind/body experience

• In the US the '91 M5 was the only one BMW put the big differential case on :(

I am happy to hear that there are other options on that side of the pond. :D

I will put that bit of information away - if I remember :)

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• been looking at this advert again Wayne, and at what the seller has added re the photo...

"Just thought id let anyone know that this is a picture of a BMW Diff. the picture was used by another user previously but the one i am selling is exactly the same one. reason i couldnt take a picture is because the camera i used to take rest of the BMW stuff i have for sale decided to stop working all of a sudden. AS I SAID ABOVE MY DIFF IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS ONE SHOWN IN PHOTO."

Just a couple of points to mention. Nowhere in the advert does the term M5 appear, so that's not good, and he seems to be saying the photo is showing his Diff, or is it one exactly the same. A bit ambiguous. I have personally stood on the decking that the pictured Diff rests on as I went round to the guy's house when I bought mine, in East London ! The Diff on the photo is now on my car, as even though the pic is out of focus there are some telltale marks around the flanges that correspond to mine.

I should have read the advert properly when you posted it 1st time

:?:lol:

• Crikey Wayne...Some of you guys would be on to the insurance companies all day!
    My view to a certain extent is to let sleeping dogs lie and I cant really see them dismantling the diff on the vehicle to check the gearing.

• Bit like the HID kits. Wonder who has bothered to tell the insurance companies? What if someone claims you blinded them as you came over the brow of a hill and the first thing they demanded to look at was the headlights?
    Where does it end?

• Doesn't even look close to being the right one for our cars :(

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Not just the M5s, the `Sport` cars came with LSDs as standard, mine came from an early 90s E34 535i Sport (it's a 3.6 LSD) so keep an eye out for these too, they'll be far cheaper than M5 stuff.

• Two significant points are brought out in this discussion relative to limited slip diff and ASC / ASC+T .

If you really enjoy driving the car (that means you spend meaningful time controlled drifting sideways as well as in a stragiht line), LSD is a must have. It is at it's best with a manual gearbox. Then to have a 3:91 ratio is indeed special.

If you only drive in a straight line, stick with the big brother Bosch setup.

Having owned a modified 3 series(1994), a couple of M5s(1988), an M6(1988), M6csi(1986) and 540i sport(1998) over the years, as you know, the early models were manual, LSD and no ASC / DSC stuff. They were great on the street and much fun at Road Atlanta events (BMWCCA & Walter Mitty). Loved every second in the cars (by the way these cars were much lighter).

Things really started downhill with the '540isport'. Had I bought with the 6 speed, I would have LSD but wife wanted auto. That meant open spool diff so that Bosch DSC can control. We have throttle by wire (sucks)
    so Bosch DSC can control. We have ignition timing and fuel curves under the Bosch DSC control. None of this was satisfying. I sold this one in less than 4 months after purchase. I found the performance MB's with the same handicap. Then purchased a Jag S type R (1994, new wife car). Yes, it has the same Bosch maladies but in process of getting a Quaife which can peacefully co-exist with Herr Bosch.

ASC / DSC OFF switch actually raises the threshold some but not off. So we spin the inside tire only.

The big caution here is without the benefit of proper suspension set-up, the LSD does it's part but the car will pitch way too much and the drifting can become an uncontrolled end swapping event (especially in the rain).

I have always put Dinan phase 2 or phase 3 suspension on my cars and various chips / meter boxes / exhaust tuning. I just can not tell you how much better the car is afterwards. You have to drive to believe.

Bavarian Imports, here in Atlanta, is a performance shoppe run by Mike Lembke, himself an accomplished driver and almost on the par of a Steve Dinan regarding mods and experience. He has always taken care of all of this on all the BMW's.

Good discussion, forget the trophy wife get an LSD.

• Zitat von Stuart8er

Not just the M5s, the `Sport` cars came with LSDs as standard, mine came from an early 90s E34 535i Sport (it's a 3.6 LSD) so keep an eye out for these too, they'll be far cheaper than M5 stuff.

Now this is interesting because from other posts I'd been led to believe that the 535i diff won't fit. I read that only the 4.0-litre engine diffs or the M5 diff would supposedly fit but it sounds like that's not the case here :?

• As long as the Casing is 210MM it will fit, Some E32 740's and 750's also have this size Diff, Which works! You wanna be sure there's a "S" Stamp Painted ont Top of the diff and stamped on the side tag of the Diff to define it's a Limited slip!

• Mturbo, you got it right!

I see many answers telling that only M5 E34 diffs will fit.

WRONG!!

The 210mm series diff is used in E31, E32, E34 models that have V8 4.0, 4.4 or V12 engines but they are not found in either 6 cylinder or the smaller M60 3.5. So if you go shopping for an upgrade make sure you dont confuse the 210 for the small diff.....they look identical but are about 10% smaller and will confuse anm expert.

E31 are the same but no LSD's were used
    E32 uses small on V8 3.5 and large diff on V12 (you need a 4.0 or bigger)
    E34 uses small on 3.5 V8 and large on the V8 4.0 or M5

I have the 3.64 with "S"(Sperrdifferential paint stencilled on case which is LSD) and am considering 3.91 despite the fuel increase as its a weekender not a daily ride. If fuel cost bothers on a daily ride then 3.46 might be a better option.

Steve Parkes (steve840), larrikan by the way, reckons the 3.91 lays a nice pair of tread trails and just talking about it almost gives me the need to know, besides, real men smoke tyres don't they?

Cheers boys

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Well there ya go!. Always some new light on a hard and fast rule huh?

If anyone is going to buy a 535 unit then be warned that there may now be two sizes used in 535's.

Stuart8er refers to 535 sport which we don't have here in Oz so it may be that the sport version of the 535 uses the 210mm version.

BE CAREFUL and measure the 210 case against the smaller (not much) 535 unit. I learned the hard way when I walked through a wreckers shelves and bought 6 of what I thought were the 210 size!

Trust me, they don't fit. You would bet your bollocks they are the same when you look at one and the other one five minutes later. They are that close.

Cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!