Sunroof trouble

• Well since its been hot I decided to open the sunroof fully. It opened fine however when I went to close it the inner grey part of the head lining started to go at an angle so i opened it full again and tried again. It juast got worse and the it stoped about half way and the sunroof itself continued until it closed. Now it only opens about 10mm. Any idea folks! or is it a remove and inspect kind of job??? :oops:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• The cover snaps back on but I have no clue having never done anything with mine.

The repair manuals on http://www.wuffer.net under downloads should have sunroof repair instructions that cover it.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Terry I have down loaded the appropriate section. However reading this is does say the roof tilts up. Mine never has? I did test this when I bought the car in November but only opened the sunroof fully etc. I will have a read later and take it from there. :wink:

Lloyd

• If you push the button directly up with the sunroof closed the rear of the sunroof should rise up. If it doesn't then the mechanism may be broken.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Just had a little play with the sunroof using the tool kit allen key and it seems well and truely stuck :evil:

Not sure how to progress at this point as I cannot get to any of the fixings as the roof will not move and I dont want to break anything :cry:

Any ideas will be welcome at this stage arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lloyd

• Not sure how you're going to un-stick the sunroof, but maybe you'll need to remove the roof lining to see where it's stuck. How do you have it at the moment? Is it stuck open or closed?

With regards to opening upwards, there is note in the manual that after disconnecting the batteries, this function needs to be reset by holding the button pressed up for about 10 secs.

• Arnie fortunately its stuck closed. Which is handy with all this rain of late. You are right as as the last owner had recently changed the batteries before I bought it it was probably not reset and I was not aware of this process. Any plus I have since replaced the batteries myself with proper one not cheap and cheerful.(see other thread). The thought of removing the headling is a bit scary. I will have another look at the weekend and report back :?

Lloyd

• Last summer my sun roof appeared to be jammed - I thought it was broken for no less than 5 months !!!!! It turns out that one of the 6 Pins of the plug that connects to the tilt/slide switch had broken off. I fixed the pin, reassembled, and hey presto, everything works fine again.

Obviously this may not be your problem, but it's an easy check. See how many pins are on the plug...... and if any are broken.

• Terry, I decided to try and get the sunroof moving using the toolkit allen key. Having opened it half way it seemed to free itself, I then tried the switch and now it is working, well almost having never tilted it still does not. :cry: . It opens and shuts on the one touch function etc but does not tilt. Any other ideas? The manual does talk about resetting etc as mentioned by Arnie. I did this but should I disconnect the batteries and do this afresh? What other effects would this cause?

Lloyd

• The sunroof module should be somewhere behind the switch in the overhead.

That module and the switch are what control the sunroof motions. If any direction works then the power should be ok so if you unplug that module for a few minutes it should reset without anything else changing.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Since reading all the above i hesitate to add anything at all , but i did read that you say the inner slide roof was at an angle..well my last 8 had this problem..it turned out to be the inner roof had come out of the runners..and the cloth had started to get caught too..this also stops the tilt open action too..as it wont open till the inner roof has fully closed..i suspect yours isnt closing fully either..maybe you can carefully open it.. slowly.. and see where its jamming or catching..once i removed part off the cloth in my previous 8 that had caught..,hence dragging the inner roof at an angle..it was ok after that..good luck!!

• Tone T the inner roof being at an angle was a problem that appeared but I have since solved this and the roof opens fully and closes fully it just won't tilt or even try :evil:

I may strip this out in the near future but for now I can live with it as the next thing to check is the switch itself.

Lloyd

• Playing around a bit with the sunroof today i found if I apply some pressure using the allen key whilst pressing the button I can get the sunroof open in the tilt mode and shut again. Now I know this is not ideal but it does prove the electrical side is working. I have looked at the removal pictures on Wuffers site and the next stage would be to slide back the inner lining however this is not that clear it does say release the locking tab but it not that easy to see. I now believe that the inner linning is causing the problems . So my question is has anyone actual slide this back how easy is it to do etc. I ask this as I have just been to the body shop and I want to get my sunroof sorted to enable me to get it sprayed (once the rust has been removed). Ideas please!

Lloyd

• I'm right in the middle of repairing mine and have taken out the roof panel and have found that with the inner lining going out of kilter was caused by the teeth on the fixed part of the rail were chewed to bits.

New parts ordered from the stealers.... £200 ish

I will take some pictures tomorrow and put them on here....

Unfortunately you have to get the roof all the way to the maximum tilt position I think to be able to release the 2 levers!! Or it is a headlining down jobby and remove the entire sunroof assembly. Not that bib a job really....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!