My new 19" Work Wheels

• Here are some pictures of my car with the new 19" Work wheels.
    they are 9x19" front and 10,5x19" rear, the lip is 10,7cm in the front and the rear is 12cm (4" front and almost 5" rear).

The finnish is black chrome, or burning black as Work calls it.

I thought they looked absolutely fantastic on the car.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Yes-nice lips on them :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• The trip back was good.
    Had a go against a Ferrari Enzo on the Autobahn, needless to say he left me in the dust, though did not pull away as fast as I expected him to do.

Some guy in his Aston Martin DB9 probably did not like tha fact that an old BMW followed him all the way up to 240kph and then allmost ran into him when the old BMW was doing 260kph :)

This fast trip on the Autobahn tought me some lessons about the 8 in high speeds and som modifications are needed.

-my shocks must be replaced, and the springs too (lowered a bit too)

-aerodynamics is not good in excess of 200kph, mirrors are to noisy (csi will be fitted), and the front end needs more downforce, the front end got a bit nervous when over 200, and felt really light when passing 240kph, CSI front end will fix this.

-brakes.... oh my god these must be upgraded.
    a hard braking from 260kph down to 140kph left me without brakes (some tosser pulled out 300m infront of me) have to fit some heavy duty stuff.

-Engine, well.... would have liked to have given that Enzo a run for his money, so maybe I'll install something to help my engine breathe :)

The Meet in St.Anthonis was great, nice people, nice cars. I had a great time, have pictures :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• with respect to all those who still have the turbine or bbs style alloys on their 8 .....

It really is amazing how you can change the character of a car simply by changing the wheels. Noggie, you have made a huge statement now with those stunning wheels, and as if the 8 didnt get noticed enough, more and more people are going to see your car now, attracted like moths to a lamp by the contrast of black paintwork and rotating polished chrome wheels !!

• I've already noticed a huge interrest in the car, and especialy the wheels, people are amazed by the huge lips.
    When at the meet in Holland, lots and lots of people was raising their eyebrows when they saw my car, cameras came out and I believe dozens of pictures was taken of the wheels alone.

I also notice that people stare when I drive by in city centers, and when on a queue on the auobahn (almost standstill) people looked and I actually saw cameras appear in the windows.

The allready head turning 8 just turned into an even greater head turner with these wheels.

Oh, and Tony, here in Norway we say that the cars wheels make up half the car.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Hi Noggie: Awesome wheels!! Really like the look and how it sets off the profile of the 8. I also really like the 'deep reverse offset' which you refer to as the 'lips'. Do you have the exact dimensions so I can use that info for when I finally decide on my new wheels? Also, did you have to make any adjustments or use spacers or rings to make them fit? I seem to remember your post that these are 3 piece wheels that you had spec'd out just for your car. I did visit the Work web site but they just list the basics. Also, what tires & sizes again please.
    - Thanks, Scott

One of the best body styles on a BMW!

• Scotty

front are 9x19" ET00 245/35 19"
    rear are 10,5x19 ET14 275/30 19"

No spacers or anything, they fit perfect.
    Only thing was that the rear wheel arc needed to be modified, you know that little piece of metal that comes about 1cm into the wheel well?
    Well it just had to be bendt upwards or the rubber would rub against it in bumps.

The wheels are 3 piese wheels, and Claus at http://WWW.Felgen-garage.de ordered them for me, I guess he had all the dimensions for the 8 so the wheels are made for that car.

Also this is the best set of wheels I've ever had, on the autobahn I let go of the steeringwheel doing 200kph/120mph.
    there are no tremeling or tracking (following the contours of the road) and the ride is smooth and nice, a bit firmer than with the 17" wheels, but I like it, still its not uncomfortable in any way.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Hi Noggie,

nice wheels you got from old germany! Burning black is a really hot colour ... :twisted:

But - please excuse the off topic question: How did you switch on the head lights with closed eyes? Do you drive in Norway with such a lightning or is it just for the pic?

Cheers, Gabriel

• @ Angler

In Norway you must drive with lights on during daytime by law, think this law was passed back in 1980, I remember as a young child the campaign to make people drive with lights on.

The lights come on automatically on my car when the engine starts. This is a modification made when the car was imported from Germany to Norway in 94.
    An extra relay (or two) is installed to do this, and it means that my car is in compliance with the law and so I don't have to drive with the headlights up during daytime.

I haven't seen any other 8's with this done, but I think it looks great, much better then having to drive with the pop up lights up all the time.

The lights on my car works as follows:

engine running - light switch off = light like on the picture.

switch in park pos. = only park light on. (these lights are always on)

switch to light on = pop up head lights on, bumper head lights off.

high beams = low beam and high beam in pop up light, and bumper head lights come on again.

If interested I think I have the wiring diagram to make this mod.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• The parking light next too the FTP has a 21 watt filament that is used by BMW for the Daytime Running Light on Canadian versions. The filament that normally comes on everywhere else is only 5 watt.

The flash to pass is an H1 headlight bulb at 50 or 55 watts.

I wired my 21 watt filaments to come on with the switch instead of the 5 watt ones. That makes the marker lights bright enough to use instead of the headlights on drizzly dreary days here. You know those times when you can see to drive but you want to make damn sure you can be seen by the idiots who can't see the Silver for the mist :)

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• @ Terry
    The Daytime Running Light ist not only on Canadian versions, but also built for some scandinavian countries. For this it is called "Nordland-Version", and for this version exists another light-switch with 4 positions, witch ist consistantely called "sweden-version". The 4 positions of the switch are:
    - Daytime Running Light
    - Parking Light
    - Dim Light
    - Head Light

In the last years also in germany it is going to be normal to drive with lights on also by daylight. But as Noggie already wrote, the design of the 8 suffers with the popped-up main light clusters.
    The original modification for the "Nordland-Version" is quite extensive to retrofit, as far as I know you would need a new part of the wire harness. So some intelligent Swiss designed a more simple DIY-solution. The effect is the same:

But - when I saw Noggies pics with the Flash lights on too - for me this is looking superior to the original Daytime Running Light.
    However, presumeably in Germany I would not get issued the blessing by the "TÜV" for Noggies version. :cry:

PS: I think now we are far away from topic, maybe a mod can move the last postings into a new thread ... :roll:

• The flash function is not working in this mode Tony, so no, the light don't pop up when I flash the lights. To flash I have to turn the lights on (pop the lights up).
    And I believe that you shouldn't flash other cars either, I heard it was banned in Germany for causing to many accidents on the autobahn, here in Norway it's not common to flash other cars.

As for TUV approval, I don't know, In Norway you only have to have a light equivalent to a normal low beam during daytime. Cars for the last 20 years have wired the normal low beams to the engine power so that light will come on automatically when the engine starts, and off when it stops so you don't have to flick a switch. (what is modified into my car)
    Earlier people mounted i.e extra fog lights under the bumper and used these for daytime running lights (this was done a lot in the 80's).

A lot of BMW's in Norway use the park light and bumper mounted fog lights during daytime as running lights (looks cool), but the low beam comes on automatically so you have to set the switch to park and turn on the fog lights, this is also legal by Norwegian law.
    However when the definition of daytime is over (defined by the streetlights coming on in Norway) low beams are mandatory, so the fog lights have to come of.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Noggie you would not believe the number of uses us Brits have for Flash Lights.... I know in some cases it is frowned upon, but it still goes on regardless. The list below is by no means exhaustive and is just off the top of my head...

Brits Flash for..... Letting someone through tight spot, Thanking someone for letting you through tight spot, Turn Right*, Turn Left*, Hello, See Ya, Turn your Lights on at night, Turn your Fog lights off at night/day (if not foggy), turn indicators off if not changing lane on motorway, let a car change lane on motorway, warn of upcoming Speed Trap, warn of danger around blind bend (including Speed Traps....), let someone know you're pissed off at them for (for example) nearly causing head-on collision when they overtake in front of you, the list goes on....

* these are the dangerous ones IMHO. I ignore them.

I'm not saying it's right, but if Flashing were made illegal :? then the UK Police would be even busier !!

8)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!