Best tyres for an 8

• Hi gentlemen (and others),

Greetings from Oz. I notice there has been a fair bit of discussion on tyres and rims of recent times. And I apologise in advance if this question has been raised before.

Without starting World War 3, does anyone have a definite idea of the best handling tyres for an 8?

Currently I have some VERY cheap tyres on my '94 840 but the handling is so atrocious it is scary, so they have to go. Current tyre sizes are;

Rear: 275/30 ZR19 96Y
    Front: 245/35 ZR19 93Y

I am told I could go a fraction wider on both, if anyone has a comment on this as well?

Cheers Helpsy.

• Best tyres for an 8

Hi,

I have Alpina rims on the following tyres...

Michelin Pilot Sport...

Rear: 285/335 ZR18 97Y
    Front: 245/40 ZR18 97Y

Handling is fine on my CSi, others might have some input but you might consider a suspension upgrade at the same time to tighten everything up.

Had One For A While Now Really !

'96 BMW 850CSi
    '11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090rr
    '89 Ducati Indiana 750
    '83 Suzuki GR650

• I tried 19" wheels for a while and found them to harsh... went back to 18" same sizes as "Got-One-At-Last" very happy with the handling now....

There is no 'give' in the sidewalls so you feel everything. Would be good on a track day though!!

Hope this helps....

• I am using Goodyear F1 tires on my 840

Great wet or dry but they start getting a little slippery in the dry when the pavement is cold and would be hopeless in snow.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I'm using Bridgestone Potenza's. Very grippy and good feel, excellent in the wet but I haven't used them long enough to give a proper opinion on durability. One point, if you drive over tram lines in the wet (there's a lot them here in Zurich) the car slips and slides a bit which can be unnerving, a feature of wide tyres though and not necessarily the Bridgestones.

Cheers

• I've got 245 35 19" front and 275 30 19" rear in Michelin Pilot Sport 2.

These tires are perhaps THE best tire in the world for normal use.
    the grip is fenomenal on dry, and I'm unable to make my 350HP Hartge modded 850 break loose the rear wheels even if I try at stoplights.

They are phenomenal on wet roads, and have been praised in tire tests for their performance.

The greatest difference between a cheep tire and a good expensive one is usually the handling and comfort.
    the cheep one may be just as good when new, but when they are half way worn out the ride is not as good anymore, the car starts to follow the contours of the road and thats just a pain in the ass to drive.

My honest opinion is to by a good quality tire, I recomend the Michelin PS2, and would not dream of using another tire om my cars.

I've tried quite some tires over the years, and I can say that the Dunlop SP9000 is a crap tire, I had a set of quality BF goodrich on my old e36 and they were good, I also liked the Goodyear eagle F1, but that was before I started track driving.
    The Goodyear Eagle F1 gs d3 is not a bad tire, but its getting old, It might have been the ultimate tire 5-6 years ago when it was new, but I'd go for a newer design.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Oh, just one more thing.
    Stay away from V-shaped tyre threads as they are noisier than conventional threads.
    The Michelin PS2 are conventional threads and are therefore very confortabe with the lower noice levels.

OK V-threads look cool, and they claimed better wet road capabillities earlier, but the past few years the high performance tyres have moved away from the V-thread and are now conventional threads.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I've had Michelin Pilot sports same size all the way around. Excellent tires and here in New York with harsh road conditions they really soak up the bumps etc. Cornering is also very good as is traction in the rain. I have stock 16" and didnt want to change to larger tires with lower profile, as it would be too stiff as a daily driver.

• Thanks mate, I am seriously looking at the Michelin Pilot Sports, but for some reason the tyre sizes available in Australia are quite the same as Europe (and maybe the USA). For example I can't get a 275/30ZR19, I can only get a 295/30ZR19 which is too wide.

I do appreciate the feedback.

• Hi Helpsy

I now have Toyo Proxes T1R 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 in the rear on Fikse wheels 8.5x19 front and 9.5x19 rear.
    Prior to the Toyo's I had Michelin Pilot Sport IMO the Toyo is the better bang for your buck :)

The car is lowered with H&R sport springs with no clearance issues at all.

HTH Thomas

PS Here is a picture of the Toyo

• Experience of the Dunlop Direzza on an 8?

I have a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101's (made in Japan) on my B10 Alpina, 235 x 45 x 17 front and 265 x 40 x 17 rear. I have fitted an identical set of wheels to the 840 but with mismatched tyres, Michelin Pilot rears and Pirelli P zero on the front.

I am not keen on this mixed combination and these sizes are getting hard to come by.

I have another set of the Dunlops but am interested to hear if anyone has run these on an 8 and what their opinion of them is. While I am happy with them on the B10 the car has not done many hard miles since they were fitted so I do not have a good "feel" for them yet.

Cheers

Alan

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Off topic but! If you really want your 8 to handle, Change to Thicker Sway bars, K-Mac has some for you down under, That and a LSD will give you better than any tire can provide, The standard sway bars are too skimpy for the 8...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!