New steering wheel

• Zitat von 2rgeir

I have on the other hand never come across anyone mentioning the replacement of the "steering column switch bracket" when it comes to fitting this on the e31. Is this then something that is not needed here or might I as well go ahead and order one straight away?

I have seen this before, and yes it is possible that it will affect the E31. I'm not sure exactly what years are affected, but if you have to change your slip ring there's a good chance you have to change the bracket to the one corresponding to the new slip ring.

It's simply a plastic bracket that sits on the steering column just behind the shroud, that the indicator and wiper stalks slide onto and latch into place. I can't remember exactly what the differences are, but it might be something to do with the earlier slip ring having a spring loaded contact pushing onto a metal ring for the horn, whereas the later one is just a sealed wire connection inside the slip ring.

• Shouldn't be to much of an expense though, as it quoted at $3.07 for my car at realoem.com :)
    Which one should I order instead though? Tried to pick a late -95 model on realoem.com, and that has the exact same part # as mine :?

• I just had a look at the site with the E36 wheel change, and it appears the difference is the plastic tab sticking out that goes into the fixed part of the slip ring to stop it turning. So if yours has this, I suspect it will work with all newer types of slip ring up to 1999.

Being that the part number is the same as the new type, I suspect you may not require the bracket. It's all rather confusing though! Might be worth checking if it's still the same number on a newer model (say a 1997 or even 1999), in which case it will be OK for all 1995-1999 slip rings, as I'm sure they stayed the same until the introduction of dual stage airbags (which were never used in the E31).

• "it appears the difference is the plastic tab sticking out that goes into the fixed part of the slip ring to stop it turning." Could you specify that a little bit more? :?
    The change was in September 1994 as far as I understood..

• Zitat von TallTony

why oh why did this have to be listed so soon after Xmas ?

Any other time of year and I'd be posting... "look what I've just bought..." though sadly not in this case. Someone else might want it though :shock::D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HARTGE-a…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tony, any chance you (or someone else) could post up a pic? I'm at work and eBay is blocked!

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

Am I the only person who actually likes the original that's fitted :? The only thing I miss is the multi function buttons as fitted to most other BMW's that were made the same time as mine :cry:

Yes, YEs , YES :lol::lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Since I have a Hartge equipped car, maybe I should get it.
    Sadly I really don't like this desogn that much, think the center is to big and round.
    And I have a 7/91 car so it wont fit either.
    Lets not forget the price.... wow...

As for the stock 4-spoked wheel.... well, kind of gives you the "I'm driving a bus feeling"

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Surely that one would make the cabin look even more dated ??

Shame you cant buy the Hartge one Nogs :P , if someone doesn't do soon then I might take the plunge.... I love this design, and it even has the multifunction areas for a retrofit job in months to come.

• Zitat von TallTony

Surely that one would make the cabin look even more dated ??

Shame you cant buy the Hartge one Nogs :P , if someone doesn't do soon then I might take the plunge.... I love this design, and it even has the multifunction areas for a retrofit job in months to come.

Well I't might look more dated, but I had one like this in my old e30 (without the airbag though) and it was small and really good to drive with.
    My e31 is from 1990, at this time that was the sport steeringwheel they had.

I've had the mid 90's stteringwheel of this design, in an e36 but I think it is too big in diameter, and is really not that good to drive with, it's too thin and misses the ergonomic parts.

In my e46 I have this one, and I love it, perfect thikness, ergonomical, and a nice small diameter. I'd love to get that for my 8

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I have the same steering wheel as your E36, and I think it's the best looking steering wheel for the 8 (most modern looking), but I agree that it's too big and the rim is too thin.

I also agree the E46 M-sport steering wheel is a much better wheel, it would be great if it were possible to make it work with the 8 without having to give up the airbag.

• Zitat von Paul_M

I have the same steering wheel as your E36, and I think it's the best looking steering wheel for the 8 (most modern looking), but I agree that it's too big and the rim is too thin.

I also agree the E46 M-sport steering wheel is a much better wheel, it would be great if it were possible to make it work with the 8 without having to give up the airbag.

Best looking - absolutely....
    But sadly, it too has it's flaws, but I think it might be a bit smaller than original 4 spoke wheel.
    If all else fails, I just might have to get one of those.
    But my no.1 would be the e46 M wheel, and the old M-tech 2 with airbag as a runner up.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• The 4-spoke wheel is hideous! I can't believe they fitted that to the 8, especially in Europe where we don't have the requirement for such large airbags. I think the BMW plant ran out of steering wheels so someone decided to break into the nearest bus manufacturing plant and steal all their steering wheels :shock:

:lol:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!