New steering wheel

• Ages ago, before I even had an Eight I asked on here if this steering wheel could be fitted. No one knew for sure, and I'd never seen it done, so I decided to do my research and go ahead and do it. Not only does it fit, I think it looks excellent and I'm really pleased with it. The diameter is a little smaller than the three-spoke Sport wheel which is nice and it's really great to use too making it an excellent all round upgrade.

• Hey the way to go Seb ,looks great :D I tried to put one on my 8 recently & failed miserably :? Bmw in their infinate wisdom changed steering colums around september 1994 :shock: Mines a may 94 :cry:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I always that that wheel should fit! The thing that tipped me off was the 3 spoke steering wheel (with controls) which was used in the e36 and e46. The e36 M3 steering wheel you put on would then fit of course. That also means that the new style (e46, e39) M sport wheels should fit. I am currently looking into if an M3 CSL SMG wheel will fit with a Mr Paddleshift kit on a 96+ steptronic e31.

Schalldampfer1
    Proud owner of 1996 e36 M3 Coupe 5sp
    & 2000 e39 528I
    Hope to be proud owner of e31 850 CSi

• Zitat von Schalldampfer1

I always that that wheel should fit! The thing that tipped me off was the 3 spoke steering wheel (with controls) which was used in the e36 and e46. The e36 M3 steering wheel you put on would then fit of course. That also means that the new style (e46, e39) M sport wheels should fit. I am currently looking into if an M3 CSL SMG wheel will fit with a Mr Paddleshift kit on a 96+ steptronic e31.

Unfortunately, because the E36 was never actually fitted with the multifunction wheel fitting an E46 wheel won't be an easy task. While the wheel I've fitted and the multifunction wheel look very similar, the multifunction one that was fitted to the E39 and E38 uses a dual stage airbag and different connectors which the E31 doesn't have. You'd have to find a way to fit the single stage airbag from the E31 into the multifunction wheel and then find a way of connecting that and all the multifunction controls. I believe someone in America has fitted an E46 M3 wheel but it doesn't sound easy.

• I Do NOT agree my friend :? The wheel i purchased would not even fit the splines of the steering column.

There is not much choich unless you change the steering column also :cry:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von 2rgeir

Airbag hooked up and functioning and all? This mod is not possible on pre -94 models then? :(

Yup, no problems at all - this wheel uses the same slip ring as the E31, or at least the post-'94 models, and the single-stage airbag so it should literally be a plug and play upgrade. Admittedly I got my garage to fit it but they had no problems at all. I will say that if you have the seat in its lowest position and the wheel as close to you as it can go then you can't see the odometer but how often do you need to look at it anyway?

Zitat von ///M Turbo

It's possible, You have to do some light mods, It's also listed in the E31Faqs.

Have you got a link? I'd love to have a look at that.

• Will search the link and post, I also have the wheel with the Multifuncitions! I can only use the Volume buttons for My stereo and up and down buttons for My iPod at the moment, A little tricky but it works, I would like to use more of the functions like the hands free phone, I'm working on that next.

• Zitat von ///M Turbo

Will search the link and post, I also have the wheel with the Multifuncitions! I can only use the Volume buttons for My stereo and up and down buttons for My iPod at the moment, A little tricky but it works, I would like to use more of the functions like the hands free phone, I'm working on that next.

Cool. Did you just fit the single stage airbag in the multifunction wheel than? You can't keep this kind of thing to yourself! You should be posting a step-by-step how to photo guide about fitting the multifunction wheel!

• looking at all the wheels mentioned and airbag/multifunction issues, perhaps this combination would work :

a) e36 3 Spoke wheel as successfully fitted by Seb + multi function inserts from a e39 3 Spoke wheel ? With electrical tinkering to link the buttons to the iBus.

b) e39 3 spoke Multifunction wheel, remove 2 Stage AB and replace with AB from the e36 one like Sebs ?

Both types seem identical in shape so the Airbag may switch over (maybe a little modding is required).

Can anyone confirm or dispel my theory please 8)

• Zitat von ///M Turbo

It's possible, You have to do some light mods, It's also listed in the E31Faqs.

Interesting enough to put it mildly :) I myself see no real use for a multifunk wheel, but would like to get rid of my old chuncky one without loosing the airbag :? Might have to get some work done one the steering-column in the nearest future anyways, as I got a noise there when turning on low speed, so this would be nice to get done at the same time... 8)

• Zitat von stevep840

Hey the way to go Seb ,looks great :D I tried to put one on my 8 recently & failed miserably :? Bmw in their infinate wisdom changed steering colums around september 1994 :shock: Mines a may 94 :cry:

Mine is a 1995-model with an original 3-spoke (airbag) wheel, like Seb's original one. I know that there are 3 or 4 versions of steering wheels that were fitted at various times to the e31, but it would be nice to be clear on what exactly changed with regards to the steering column and when.

Seems that the late e36 wheel as Seb has fitted has a larger centre boss for a larger airbag. Probably why the US market never had the 3-spoke e31 wheel and only the 4-spoke version with the very large centre boss.

So, would a late e36 wheel, like Seb's fit a 1999-production 840i with to replace the ugly 4-spoke wheel???

• sorry to resurrect an old thread but my question is relevant :D

I want a multifunction wheel in my car, as do many. Looking at what Seb has done with his e36 wheel, which I like the design of, I should be able to retrofit the multifunction tabs onto this wheel ??? Now, I'm not thinking of hooking into the BMW electrical system, just controlling various aspects of my carpc using the buttons. I'll work out a way of doing this in time, but for now I just need to settle on which wheel to buy.....

Seb's e36 wheel has no multifunction but clearly has the plastic covers that can be removed and fitted with the multifunction inserts... see pictures

Now it is this wheel I want in my car, but should I look for an e36 version and change the multifunction inserts (periodically up on ebay.de) or should I look at the e39 wheel which has them already ??

In this months BMWCar mag, the chap in the states who has the S62 M5 engine transplant also has this style wheel, but the article wasnt specific on the model it came from (Seb... why didnt you ask him ??? :lol: ) It also had a much nicer covering by the looks of it, but it was only a picture I guess !

Hope someone can help. Cheers, Tony

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!