Wheel Spacers & Ride Height issues

• Does anyone have any experience/problems/recommendations with wheel spacers on our 8 series ?

The reason I ask is that I have just had a suspension/steering upgrade and am having new tyres fitted early next week. As I've changed a few things I am also having a 4 wheel laser alignment done (at $tealers as they are the only people round here with proper equipment).

I have never really liked the way that the front wheels are set in from the wheel arch and would much prefer to have them coming out towards the lines of the wing/arch.

I assume though that when I have the laser alignment done, and add spacers at a later date then this will throw out the new settings ? Or have I got this wrong ?

Are there any other issues I should consider ? Which brands would you recommend ?

One last point.... the Eibach Pro springs that I've just had fitted dont seem to lower the car that much, despite claiming 25mm drop at the front. They have only been on for 2 days, so should I expect some further settling over the coming weeks/days ?

http://www.performancealloys.com/alloy_wheel_spacers.asp

Cheers guys

Tony

• Take a measurement from road to wheel arch through the center line mine measures 25.75" as appossed to standard Sport set up of 26.5".

I use 20mm front spacers to clear my Calipers :shock: this on a ET15 offset using 235 front tyres ,absolutly no issues,rears are on 15mm spacers, take a look at my gallery ,should be able to get a better idea :D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Cheers Steve,

not sure how to measure from centre line as you mentioned, but from my 'rack of the eye' :shock: I would say 20mm front and 15mm rear would suit me and provide the look I am after. There would be no problem with clearing calipers for me as I have Stock Brembos at the front :cry::lol:

I always thought you ran 245/35/19 front tyres, which are the size I'm after since I'm going for 285/30/19 at the rear (tyre size calculators show these two sizes are identical rolling circumference). What size rears are you on ? 275/30/19 ?

** just this minute had a phone call from my tyre dealer who is having problems locating a matching set of the sizes I'm after. Can you point him in the right direction ?

• What I ment was measure road to wheel arch, keep the tape in the middle of the wheel :?

245's will rub on 20 mm spacers with 15 mm offset, so check your wheels for this 1st

rears are 275/30 x19 :) Hope this helps

• Just seen your message shiggsy, This type of wheel spacer bolts directly to the hub then you retain the standard bolts otherwise you cannot obtain locking bolts for the extended length that would be req if using inferior spacers :D

• 245 /35 will only rub when spacers are fitted,you will find the paint gets worn off the lower wing edge & cill :shock:

Given that your offsets are almost as my wheels, I personally would not increase what I have IF you fit the same spacers So

Front 235/35x19 Rear 275/30x19 :D

• Not sure now whether to go for spacers or not since I have just been offered a 'silly price' deal on a full set of Conti Sport IIs in wait for it....

295/30/19 rears :lol: with 245/35/19 fronts. Porsches spec and therefore easier to find and much cheaper than the elusive 285/30/19s that I originally wanted.

% difference between front and rear = 0.8% which is acceptable, and obviously will come down over the months with wear. Will wait and see how this setup looks before getting spaced out or anything :lol:8)

Prices : Continental Sport Contact II Rears £115 each (super dooper special offer!!), Fronts £155 each. 4 Wheel laser alignment @ £99, if bought with full set of tyres AND I can return my unfitted CSI rear Sway bar, which knocks a further £80 off the final bill.

Not bad for a $tealer :shock::lol:

• :lol: this is what I dont understand. I fitted Eibach Pro lowering springs and the car hasnt dropped that much, at least it hasnt dropped by the 25mm stated. The larger fronts will fill the arches more than present and so narrow the gap between the top of wheel arch and tyre. As for the ride height, I'm not too bothered about it being a little higher than when running the 235/35s and it'll help prolong the life of my lower spoiler in car parks and speed bumps :shock: I am however looking forward to the 295 treads at the rear !!!

My only issue with the wheel arches is the gap between the top of tyre and the underside of the arch. I like it to be the same all the way round.

Just did this on my van earlier this month, and had to lower it 70mm :shock: to get the desired effect !!

• If the Suspension doesn't settle after say 100 miles then i recon the springs are wrong or incorrectly seated,as in your pics B4 the new springs the car looked right, makes me think something is untoward.

Calling 8 Tech :D

• Zitat von stevep840

If the Suspension doesn't settle after say 100 miles then i recon the springs are wrong or incorrectly seated,as in your pics B4 the new springs the car looked right, makes me think something is untoward.

Calling 8 Tech :D

Hey Guys,

Just caught your thread. As your car is an 840 I believe Tony, I am wondering if you have been sent a set of 850 springs which will be stiffer for the weight of the V12? You should also consider that the camber plates will only affect the ride height by about 5mm, so you can eliminate that.
    If new gas struts were fitted then these could account for another few mm but not what we are looking at here. Yet another consideration is whether the lower arms were loosened and then not correctly pre-loaded, this could easily account for 10-15mm increase in ride height.........right up until they rip out and fail!! !
    I would say that even most main dealers do not know to pre-load those arms so this and the wrong springs would be my first port of call. The springs will continue to settle for weeks, but 25-30mm.......I don't think so!

Completely forget about the wheel spacers FOR NOW until you have sorted the ride height out and you have fitted your choice of tyres. Doing an alignment now will NOT be affected by the addition of spacers. You mention a 4 wheel alignment Tony, I STRONGLY recommend a KDS as it will only be £50 or so more, and it will also take into consideration ride height, vehicle load etc, far more comprehensive than a std 4 wheel alignment and you will get the steering centralised properly, and a print-out.

Many basic things you can check yourself, such as springs seated properly, release any pre-load on the arms etc but please get this sorted before you go any further, there is something not right there.

8Tech.

• Thanks for all the pointers 8 Tech. You can be sure I will be visiting my mechanic on Monday to talk it over with him. I will also check with the spring supplier to check what exactly they sent me - I didn't think to check before handing them over for fitting... well you wouldnt would you, they came in an Eibach box and looked the business so I presumed...... :?:lol:

As for the alignment, I am having the KDS laser treatment. The deal for £99 is only available for people who buy a full set of tyres (like me) otherwise it would be over £200 from them normally.

I will get this sorted.... eventually. Why does everything have to be complicated :?::shock::?::lol:

• What is all this pre load stuff about?

I changed my own shocks over and I know nothing about pre load

Am I doomed?

Nathan

Lets burn rubber!

91 BMW 850 (Heavily Modified)
    86 Ford F150 monster truck (44 inch tyres)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!