Advice sought (3) - Oil leaks

• I've just signed up for camping again at Le Mans next June. Some things I don't intend to take to France are my triple oil leaks. Firstly, the sump gasket: its the M62-B44 engine, not bad for its age but if I had a concrete drive, I'd be reminded of this every other day, I suspect. Secondly, the front oil seal on the factory-fitted diff clearly needs doing at some point. Finally, while I'm at it, there are the cam covers. Which of these could I contemplate doing myself, and what time and special tools would I need. Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
    SG

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• It all really boils down to your wrenching skills and only you know how competant you are.
    The cam cover gaskets are very straight forward and a common failure item. You will most likely find the rearmost plug holes deep in oil with the plugs and ht leads submerged.
    The front diff seal is starting to involve larger sockets and torque wrenches to pre-load so is a little more technical and that sump gasket will get pretty involved although no special tools will be required.
    Try the camcover gaskets yourself and if you break into a sweat with them, don't attempt the others!

8Tech.

• Cam covers first, then

8Tech, I was actually thinking along the same lines. I've got a recent BMW mag which shows how to strip down the top of the B60 (4.0) engine. They say in the article that its the same as the B62. Would anyone be able to confirm this?
    SG

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• Re: Cam covers first, then

Zitat von sprucegoose

8Tech, I was actually thinking along the same lines. I've got a recent BMW mag which shows how to strip down the top of the B60 (4.0) engine. They say in the article that its the same as the B62. Would anyone be able to confirm this?
    SG

I think you mean the M60 and M62. And yes, they are very similar in a lot of respects. There are some internal differences, different capacities being the obvious ones but also the M60 has duplex timing chains whereas the M62 has only simplex chains. In terms of those jobs I can't see any differences being apparent.

• No differences, both straightforward and fiddly.

By the way, if you change the plugs at the same time,(strongly recommended) it lets you drain off the oil down the plug holes and annoy the rest of the street when you start it up again, he he.

Make sure you wash off any oil contamination from the plug leads with carb or brake cleaner before you refit them and refit any coil earth leads you remove or you will burn out the coil packs.

8Tech.

• Thanks

Cheers, guys. I think I'll do this one myself now. The other 2 are probably best for the garage because of the crawling involved!
    SG

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• Got that

Faisal, just printed out the link on the b&w laser, looks good. Thanks.
    SG

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• 8-Tech,

I seem to have a leaking rear diff, probably through the input-drive seal, but not sure. How long should it take to replace the seals? I think, I'd like to remove the whole diff while at it in order to clean and repaint it at the same time.

It's not a big leak, but some of the oil gets on to the hot exhaust and then smells.

• Zitat von arnie

8-Tech,

I seem to have a leaking rear diff, probably through the input-drive seal, but not sure. How long should it take to replace the seals? I think, I'd like to remove the whole diff while at it in order to clean and repaint it at the same time.

It's not a big leak, but some of the oil gets on to the hot exhaust and then smells.

Seal replacement would take around 2 hours, MUCH longer if you remove the diff though!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!