Possible problems with shocks

• Hi Wayne
    As I said before I have exactly the same set up on my 840. Looking st your pics though it does look as though the sidewalls are higher then mine. I appreciate that its unlikely but do you think the Falkens may be for some reason higher? I used to have many moons ago a Hartge 2.7 E30 Touring and just by changing from Dunlop 17 to Pirelli it solved the issue but just a thought.
    The wheels have different depth rims dont they? Wider at the back etc.
    Just checked mine agian and they are the same as yours!
    Doe sit improve when someone is in the passenger seat?

• Have a look at the pic of mine in the gallery under Sunny day in Shrewsbury...It does look as though there is more clearance... But could just be the angle
    Or click onthe pic on the left!

• OK, I can only talk from my own experience, and looking at these pictures below shows my 'lack of it' recently....

I thought 295/30/19s would fit my 9.5J rears, but clearly not. These balloons were swiftly removed after rubbing whilst driving over nothing more than white lines on the road.

Sidewall height increases significantly with increases in tyre width, so a 285/35/18 has a much bigger/taller sidewall than a 265 or 275/35/18. I ended up fitting 275/30/19s to cure the problem (a drop of 20mm width but same 'profile'), and I even managed to squeeze 5mm spacers in afterwards with no rubbing so you can see the difference the width made on the tyres....

Sorry can't be of specific help re your exact tyre size required, but thought it might make you feel better that it's 'not just you' who ends up spending more than first thought when buying new tyres

:?:D

• Since this discussion now appears to be about wheel/tire size offset I thought I'd throw my take on this in the mix.

I run 19x10.5" et 14 rear on my car. have the fender rolled, but not widened. and no rubbing.

My initial thought to this is 2 things.
    1: missalignment of the rear wheel.
    2: a worn bushing or balljoint that allows the wheel to move slightly in right turns only.

A worn bushing may not be easy to find with hand power outside you're house, but when 2 tons of e32 turns right.... well lets just say there's a bit of momentum in play.
    A right hand turn will force the right rear wheel backwards, I'd check my wheel arch and the inner wheel well for signs of rubbing. I'd check in the 9-11 o'clock possision on both places.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I'd say be carefull not to go to narrow otherwise they'll look like noggins rear tyres, to narrow for the wheel & no protection for the rim. Sorry mate but my view is the wheel has totally the wrong offset, i wouldnt be supprised but your gonna have to lose the wheel for trouble free motoring...+ the look of it.

• whats the matter hallworth.
    dont like my rubber :)
    The wheels are 10,5" and the tires are 275. no rubbing. with 285 they would.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Not necessarily, I have 295/30 x 18 Bridgestone SO1 Sports and mine do not touch.

Wayne,

If you have access to somewhere local who can skim discs, I would first off, get 3mm skimmed off the face of the disc where shown below. These new 840 discs have a material thickness on this hub area of 7.36mm and would withstand the loss of 3mm ok. You would also need to turn off 3mm from your rear wheel bolts too. Total cost of all of this should be about £40 and you get to keep your tyres too. It would only take about 1/2 hour to strip and refit so you could easily do it in an afternoon. Then take the car for another test drive and you could well be ok.

[/img]

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

Thanks Gerry, I will try and get this sorted over the weekend and report back. would 3mm be enough?

the face of the disc is only 7mm Wayne :shock:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000

Thanks Gerry, I will try and get this sorted over the weekend and report back. would 3mm be enough?

It's impossible to say Wayne, thats why I asked to see where it was touching the tyre. 3mm is the most I would skim the disc or you will risk weakening it.

I have done this many times to fit 255/35 x 18 on non-M 3-Series cars and never had any issues.

8Tech.

• Wayne.
    A few days have passed since you started this post, and I asume you have used the car after that.

Are you sure you don't have any signs on rubbing on the tire, or wheel arch/wheel well? (you might want to look at the shock absorber too)
    I'd look closely at my tire and look for a rubbing spot, both innside and outside.
    When I installed my wheels the problem area was in the arch just above the rear bumper joint, and we had to bend the lip on the arch up.

Before I'd start changing tires, shave off rotors or anything, I'd try to find the rubbing spot.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I've not really driven the car at all lately as I've been really busy with work and so I've not managed to take the wheel off to have a good look. I'm quite sure its due to the size of the tyres as the clearance between the arch and the tyre is very small but I will fit these 265 when they arrive and go from there.

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Just a quick update.

I've just had the new tyres fitted and I'm happy to say everything is fine, I've driven the same road as I did when it was rubbing and its not now so all is sorted.

I'm now in possession of 2 as new (only 20 driven miles max) tyres 285/35 if anyone is interested please PM me.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!