Tornado Vortex Generator

• If they worked that well every car would come with them straight off the production line and the manufacturers would be able to boast better power and fuel economy figures to sell cars with.
    On older engines (and this probably means going back to sometime around the 40s), back before the days when `swirl` and `tumble` became the commonplace terms relating to intake charge and head design, back when just getting a reasonable amount of cool air into the engine was an achievement in itself this kind of thing may have helped to some degree (though I doubt 20-30% would be even close), but this would more likely be by fluke rather than by design.
    So no, it's simply not relevant in modern engines and fitting one could either do bugger all that you'd notice or just as easily make a complete mess of the intake charge and therefore make a less efficient engine.
    For these to be sold as `specially formulated for your car` is nothing short of an outright lie, there's no way these are going to work (or be specially formulated for) a engine that has either been designed to tumble the intake charge or one that has anything close to well designed intake swirl already happening.
    If ever you see these kind of things for sale (the Ebay electric superchargers and fuel `catalysts` spring to mind), goodies that promise everything and cost next to nothing, ask yourself a simple question, why dont' Ford, GM etc fit these wondergadgets for us all to enjoy?
    I would also like to point out at this time;
    The rumor that 8Tech has secretly installed these in his redesigned intakes is nothing but a vicious, and totaly unfounded rumor put about by people with nothing better to do with there time but write on internet forums :lol:

• I have to agree with Stuart.
    This is just a useless gadget, like a fake pop-off valve, neon lights, fuel line magnets etc etc.......

Now, rotatig air will flow better trough a tube, but lets face it, a NA engine does not have a high airflow, and like Stuart says, the intakes.....

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I'm a bit late to the party, but here's another example of wishful thinking :wink::lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Supe…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

apparently tested on 100 cars, and uses Zero Friction technology (me thinks the seller should patent this as it is the Holy Grail of bearing development :lol: )

and then if you're feeling flush, then you could 'upgrade' to this :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BMW-…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it as a "very quiet, but nice and aggressive sound"...... a bit like this.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARLUX-2…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

which is also Turbo Charged :lol:

• Electric Turbo Charger: At 2.2Amps at 12v that's about 25watts. A normal (small) turbo-charger will take about around 30 - 40 kW of power from your exhaust to spin it. I can't any benefit being produced with less than 1/1000 of the power.

As for the other one, all it will do is reduce the air velocity as it takes energy to windmill. Mind you, it looks as if the guy's sold quite a few of then in the last year. Good business in snake-oil.

• Just 4 boringly technical things to add;-

1. Installing this reduces the cross sectional area of the induction tube and therefore airflow,
    2. Spinning the air before the airflow meter means the meter does not get a true flow rate reading, (if it is the hot wire/film type like ours)
    3. Airflow meters like laminar airflow through them, thats why BMW fit that plastic/wire gauze, (its not for debris protection, the filter is for that)
    4.spinning the air that far back in the system will have little effect on it still spinning after it has gone through a six or eight branch inlet manifold.

And I thank Stuart8er for pointing out the false rumours of me using his off his Raleigh Chopper on the supercharger kit because if I was using one it would either be titanium or anodised. :lol:

• Zitat von 8Tech

Just 4 boringly technical things to add;-

1. Installing this reduces the cross sectional area of the induction tube and therefore airflow,
    2. Spinning the air before the airflow meter means the meter does not get a true flow rate reading, (if it is the hot wire/film type like ours)
    3. Airflow meters like laminar airflow through them, thats why BMW fit that plastic/wire gauze, (its not for debris protection, the filter is for that)
    4.spinning the air that far back in the system will have little effect on it still spinning after it has gone through a six or eight branch inlet manifold.

And I thank Stuart8er for pointing out the false rumours of me using his off his Raleigh Chopper on the supercharger kit because if I was using one it would either be titanium or anodised. :lol:

Speaking of Raleigh Choppers (ooeer missis), are you planning on fixing some playing cards to the back wheel arches with some pegs so that you can re-create that machine gun sound from the '70's?

• No, I might shove 40 lbs boost up the old girl though and let the Big-Ends do the talking.

Should sound like an M16 while it detonates for the first 20 secs then sound like a .50 cal for the next 10 secs, finishing off with a crescendo of cannons as the rods exit the block.

8Tech.

:shock:

• Ahhh, the Raleigh Chopper, takes me back to my childhood.....
    Here's a good one.
    I used to have a friend that lived at the top of the hill (that I lived at the bottom of), we both had Raleigh Choppers.
    We left his house one sunny afternoon with him riding in the road and me on the pavement.
    I've swung my bike of the pavement down a ramp to ride side by side on the road (like my friend, the good responsible kid!) and as my bike has swung back upright I notice that my friends arm is looped over mine?
    It soon dawns on the pair of us that my R/H handlebar has surfaced up inside my friend L/H handlebar and there's no way these will come unlocked untill one is lifted off the other, or the inevitable happens.....
    And we're picking up speed, quickly, looking at each other, then the ever quicker moving road.... then each other, then the road, then each other.... both trying to work out who's going to do what.....
    After a couple of futile attempts of clashing into each other trying to free the locked arms and handlebars it happened.
    Apparently my dad was quite suprised to see the pair of us pass my house at about 20mph in a twisted ball on arms, legs, sparks and bit of Raleigh Choppers laughing like a pair of demented idiots.
    You live and learn :lol:

• Great bikes the Chopper, but does anyone remember them being featured on the programme "Nationwide" for being potentially dangerous? All that nonsense about having to take one hand of the handlebars to change gear.. What a load of nonsense I thought. Then I rode a mate's bike, took one hand off the bar to change gear whilst trying to turn a corner at the same time. The inevitable happened and I went arse over teakettle over the handlebars and used my chin and nose as an auxiliary braking system. Still, the battle scars were a good talking point with my mates for a while :)

On the subject of '70's nostalgia - Space Hoppers anyone?

• There was only one thing I was jumping on and bouncing up and down on in the seventies..........and they weren't no space hoppers!

Mind you there was this one.................. :shock:

But thats another story.

8Tech.

• I had always dreamed of having a Chopper bit alas my Dad passed away and my Mum, living alone couldnt afford one [Yet!] When I reached 14 , she suprised me one birthday with a sparkly , new Yellow Chopper, complete with all bolted on goodies. Trouble was that by this stage I was nearly 6ft and all my mates had progressed to racing bikes.I looked more like a performing bear. Didnt do much for the chances of finding a girlfriend either!
    Never mind Spacehoppers as I seem to have a pair of those since the day I got married 26 years ago!!

Does anyone recall those Klacker things that Nationwide got excited about when a few pairs decided to explode in the eyes of youngsters?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!