Rear Window Blind Stuck

• My latest electrical glitch (as of today) is that the rear window blind is stuck in the up position. The switch appears to be working and with power as I can hear a faint electrical click when I push the button (either up or down). I can't get the blind to budge from the up position however. All the fuses seem to be OK, though to be honest I can't figure out which one powers the blind (I checked every one that I could find).

Is there some way to mechanically retract the thing, al a the sunroof? Will I even be able to remove the blind to check it out without first retracting it?

Any ideas on what to check before I start trying to pull it out?

Any and all help/advice appreciated.

I'm beginning to become spooked about using the car for fear I will trigger the next failure.

Dave Bell
    Muscat, Oman

1998 850ciA
    1972 Detomaso Pantera GTS
    1994 Miata MX-5 Road Racer

• I also have a problem with the blind.
    mine however goes up and down, but when it goes down the motor dont stop and it makes a horrible klicking sound for 5 sec or so.

This is caused by a plastic arm that has broken off in the mechanism, this part cannot be bought so tha entire mechanism must be replaced.
    mybe you have a similar problem, just that the whole thing is well and truly stuck.

I thought about fixing this later when I tint the rear window, take out th broken part and just make a new one myself.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• well, the rear seats and the first aid kit box needs to go, then the hatrack (or whatever its called in english :) )
    To get the rear seats out the rear seat side panels have to go out.
    the sidecover is fastened with 3 plastic clips (get new ones, they will break)
    the rear seats are fastened with 2 screws on each side (4 in total) one is hidden by the sidepanel and the other is behind the first aid kit box.
    the first aid kit box is fastened with 3 screws.

All together a 10 minute job really.

Havent figured out how to get the hatrack out yet, but it cant be that difficult.
    might need to remove the C-pilar covers to get it out but I'm not sure.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• In Norway it's called a "Hat Shelf"
    probably because old men used to put their hats there when sitting in the car.
    Much the same as clove compartment.... who really has gloves in there???

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• The problem with the blind is often due to a broken gear wheel - the original is made of plastic and over time it does what plastic does - it breaks. There is a guy on the 'bay that sells re-manufactured wheels made from metal. Might be worth investigating before replacing the entire mechanism.

Cheers,
    Jason

• well. I guess cetain features have got names from what they was ued for in the early automotive days.
    a place where you put you're fancy hat when in the back seat turned into "hat-shelf" in Norway, clove compartment/box probably derive from where wery early motorists kept their driving gloves.

to get back to the topic, I'll have a look at my gears when I decide to fix this in my car (never really use the blind anyway)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Believe (according to the Repair Manual) the C-pillar covers have to come out before the parcel shelf.Was looking at this recently because my blind was stuck in the "down" position.Was about to dismantle everything when, on an off-chance, thought I would try physically pulling the blind up.Pulled it up slightly out of the retaining hole - hey presto! - next try on the button, went up and down like a goodun :) Has been ok ever since.Maybe this (a slight push) might get it moving if stuck in he "up" position ? (if gears not damaged)

• My immediate need is to get the screen retracted as the Omani police do not permit rear windows to be covered after dark. Don't ask me why - but even rear windscreen tinting is prohibited. I understand that I can disconnect the screen from the arms via a couple of screws. If I'm successful with that, then I can worry about the blind motor/drive issues a little more at my leasure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave Bell
    Muscat, Oman

1998 850ciA

• I've recently done it

Hello Panteradave!

I recently got a new wheel for my sun screen, so I'm quite familiar with the dismantling of it.

I'm at work now and do not have the time to write the process down here. But If you contact me perhaps I could call you and explain, or I could finish the tutorial that I've started working on...

I'll memo you my contact info and we'll take it from there.

/Hannes

• Hannes,

I managed to get the rear screen retracted after removing two small screws (one of which immediately vanished into thin air). The two arms though are still standing at attention across the rear windscreen. I covered the ends of the arms with some black electrical tape so that they don't scratch the glass or rattle around too much.

It's not a hugely pressing need at the moment, but at some point I'll have to R&R the motor/drive assembly. I was able to access a set of photos documenting a roller blind rebuild from the German E31 site, which were very good but I can't read the German captions. I'd be delighted have a copy of your tutorial whenever you can finish it.

Where were you able to find the drive gear? I checked EBay but didn't see anything.

Thanks again!

Dave Bell
    Muscat, Oman

1998 850ciA

• Before I started with my removal and repair, I downloaded a tutorial for a 7-series car. Took me some time to work out that a lot of things differ from the E31 to the E32.

My tutorial would be a remake of this one, but it now seems as someone beat me to it.

Good luck Dave! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

/Hannes

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!