• Ok, I finally pulled my finger out and bought this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…eName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=021

after reading around a few of the post on here, and the CarSoft recomendations.

I bought 3m extension RS232 cable from here....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI…eName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

Installed the software (make sure any AV software is disabled) and plug straight into the 21pin port under bonnet. Dead simple.

Initial results are good. I have confirmation of my ABS/ASC fault codes, 34 & 55, and my Airbag Error. Next job is to check connections of the Airbag sensor under passenger seat to see if it just a bad connection, or whether the sensor is duff (as garage says it is).

If it is just the connection, as suggested over on Bimmerforums, then this kit has paid for it self, ie Cost of sensor + cost of reset, with enough left over for a night out ! If not, then I'm still getting the cost of the reset off any purchase.

Not entirely sure what else I can have a play with with this SW. Presumably I cannot alter any engine settings by accident ?? If I can, will someone tell me what NOT to touch :)

I've run the cable from the boot to bonnet, so I can just sit my car and look into it's brain..... Next job, get one for the wife.....

cockpit

airbag

ABS/ASC

live data

• Yes, Not too bad is it?... especially for the price.

Glad you got it installed OK. I had to mess around a bit with certain files in my copy of it.

I like your integrated approach with the car PC!

• Zitat von arnie;51374

Glad you got it installed OK. I had to mess around a bit with certain files in my copy of it.

I like your integrated approach with the car PC!

There are just 4 files that need copying over the original installation ones ;) and away you go. The instructions aren't crystal clear, but if you've done similar with other programs ;-);-) it's pretty easy.

The FE software I use (Roadrunner) has a facility for displaying the live engine data, but I'm not sure leaving the plug in is a good idea. I think it is intended for the smaller modern OBDII plug instead, which I dont think the e31 has, or cant find....

Still it's nice to use the car pc for something else other than listening to music or satnav !!

• Nice one Tony :top:, I'm looking forward to seeing your car pc for real next week.

I've got this software on a spare laptop, my only hassle is when I want to connect it via the 21 pin port I have to take off the top of the strut brace to access the port, I wonder if there would be a way of putting the port somewhere else :hmmmm:

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• I've got all the hardware lying around but haven't got round to sorting out the software. Glad you got it up and running, looks especially tarty via the car PC :cool:

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;51389

Nice one Tony :top:, I'm looking forward to seeing your car pc for real next week.

I've got this software on a spare laptop, my only hassle is when I want to connect it via the 21 pin port I have to take off the top of the strut brace to access the port, I wonder if there would be a way of putting the port somewhere else :hmmmm:

On the earlier cars (V12 maybe?) the socket is at the front, near the radiator.

• CarSoft is OK, and certainly for that price it can't be beaten. But be aware that it does sometimes give the wrong information, and of course it's very limited in what it can do. When you've used a MODIC or GT1 system (official BMW tools) you realise just how much better they are. Gives detailed troubleshooting steps for each fault, and can actuate servos etc for testing.

Unfortunately the price reflects the increased functionality :O

• Zitat von TallTony;51385

There are just 4 files that need copying over the original installation ones ;) and away you go. The instructions aren't crystal clear, but if you've done similar with other programs ;-);-) it's pretty easy.

The FE software I use (Roadrunner) has a facility for displaying the live engine data, but I'm not sure leaving the plug in is a good idea. I think it is intended for the smaller modern OBDII plug instead, which I dont think the e31 has, or cant find....

Still it's nice to use the car pc for something else other than listening to music or satnav !!

Tony, your car is a '97 car yes?
    You can find the slimline version of the ODB II connector already in the wiring harness. On my car (which is LHD don't forget) it was under the dashboard in the footwell area. I had to remove the trim from beneath the dashboard and reach in towards the bulkhead. If you're lucky you'll be able to see the connector. It will held in place with a cable tie. Cut the cable tie and pull the connector - gently but firmly towards you. I already has quite a decent length of cable attached, enough for it to easily reach the blanked off cut out in the above mentioned removed piece of trim where it's supposed to be mounted. By 1997, cars had to be OBDII to be sold in the US and the 8 was prepared for this. I will see if I can find the pictures to help with this, bear in mind that I don't know if the cable harness will be the same for RHD cars or a mirror image. Reinhard will know and I expect he may add to this answer.

Cheers,
    Jason

PS glad you got Carsoft to talk to you nicely, pretty useless with my car and I couldn't get much info.

PPS Pics here Tony, go to page 2, about mid way down - you can even practice your German :)http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…82&highlight=OBDII&page=2

• Further to this, for anyone with an older car that doesn't have the OBD-II port, it's very easy to install one. Basically the OBD-II port replicates the important pins from the BMW 20-pin connector (namely K-line and L-line for diagnostics, and +12V and ground) so you just need to connect to these lines either at the ECU or the diag connector, and pass them through to your new OBD socket inside the car.

• Sounds interesting, and I'll have look to see if I can locate it. The only benefit I can see in using this one over the 21 pin round one is that I can't close the bonnet with the big plug in the socket. I've seen these for sale for a while now, but always assumed the e31 didnt have the socket for it...

http://store.mo-co-so.com/blue…bd-ii-interface-p-31.html

Could use this for live data readouts in RoadRunner perhaps ?

Jason, the only issue I had with the installation was forgetting to turn AVG off. Prior to that the program crashed each time I ran 'diagnose', but after a swift re-install with everything off it now works fine.... although the readme says to use the bmwcarsoft.exe instead of the bmwcarsoftv65.exe, when it fact it was the other way round. Sounds a pain, but took me 5 mins to suss out. I ran a full test at first with key in position 1, and got 'modules not responding'.... I thought it was duff, until I realised that the key should be in position 2 to supply power to all the ecus.... doh !!

Paul, you'll need to enlighten me a bit more about Modic and GT1.... is this just software, or hardware or both. If software can I use the interface I already have, or is it different ? I'm sure with a bit of poking around here and there I would be able to 'find' the software (I can find anything else I've ever looked for).

My guess is that there is more to it than that though ???

Carsoft may be basic, but hey, at 50 squids I cant complain :)

Angus, my HVAC is now between the seats in the centre partition. See my carpc worklog for more details, or in my gallery (click on the rain drops) :cool:

• Hi Tony,
    I currently have ACS\T airbag and AHK warning lights on which will all occasionaly go out so I think I have a dodgy connection somewhere as well. Post up if you find out what it is please. :top:

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Tony,

MODIC and GT1 are hardware systems, that work alongside a range of software to fulfil the various electronic diag/coding/programming requirements. MODIC is an old system that is now obsolete, but would still work well on our cars.

A GT1 system consists of both the main unit itself (basically a portable PC running UNIX with a built in touchscreen interface) along with a diagnostic head which connects to the car. These diag heads have a network interface to the PC, allowing the diag head to be connected to the car, with the PC located elsewhere such as in the next room.

A range of software is designed for use with the system, such as DIS, INPA, SSS, etc. Each of these has a specific function, e.g. DIS for diagnostics (although older versions could also do coding) and SSS for coding/programming.

It's a lot more complex than CarSoft, and of course a lot more expensive. Unless you're hitting limitations with CarSoft, such as if you want to code new options into one of the modules (e.g. adding headlight washers requires the option to be coded to the general module) then you're best sticking with CarSoft. £50 is a bargain for what it can do!

• A quick google brings up these images.

GT1 main unit:

Yellow diag head (different coloured heads are available with different features, such as Orange head with SLIP interface. Yellow is current AFAIK):

• The Chinese are offering GT-1 clones on ebay for around £1000. You'll need the official BMW software to drive them, but they offer more features. However, our cars are relatively primative and 90% of the features would not apply. Most of the signals in the E31 are transmitted on K-Lines which are a sort of RS232. The interface module (like the one for car-soft) does the job of multiplexing these lines to your PC RS232 interface. A different K-Line is chosen according to which ECU is being interrogated. Later E31s also have CAN-bus output for the engine ECU, hence you can see live engine data.

Most new cars, however have all data on CAN-bus, even for things like seat-adjusters and there is a Central Gateway which accesses all the Drive-Train and Body-Electronic CAN busses and provides access to them through the OBD-II (CAN-bus) diagnostic socket. The error codes also follow a somewhat unified system of P-nnnn codes where P0nnn tend to be manufacturer specific codes and P1nnn and P2nnn etc have standard meanings.

• Paul & Arnie, I think you have answered the question I haven't even asked on here yet.... which was...

What is the likely hood that I could interface with my car's ecu through the car pc, setting up data signals to the engine ecu for different driving conditions... :hmmmm: ? Such as motorway cruising economy, and out and out B Road blasting.... :)

Whilst in theory I bet it is possible, the sums of money involved push it well out of my league, despite it potentially being a cool thing to have.

I bought Carsoft solely for simple diagnosis, and for the the money it does a good job. Sometimes I don't trust mechanics and their diagnosis of my problems. Carsoft has restored my faith for now in what I was told at my last trip there, ie showing the same ASC fault codes I was told, and for that at least it was worth the investment, albeit only 50 pounds worth.

• Zitat von arnie;51466

The Chinese are offering GT-1 clones on ebay for around £1000. You'll need the official BMW software to drive them, but they offer more features. However, our cars are relatively primative and 90% of the features would not apply. Most of the signals in the E31 are transmitted on K-Lines which are a sort of RS232. The interface module (like the one for car-soft) does the job of multiplexing these lines to your PC RS232 interface. A different K-Line is chosen according to which ECU is being interrogated. Later E31s also have CAN-bus output for the engine ECU, hence you can see live engine data.

Most new cars, however have all data on CAN-bus, even for things like seat-adjusters and there is a Central Gateway which accesses all the Drive-Train and Body-Electronic CAN busses and provides access to them through the OBD-II (CAN-bus) diagnostic socket. The error codes also follow a somewhat unified system of P-nnnn codes where P0nnn tend to be manufacturer specific codes and P1nnn and P2nnn etc have standard meanings.

The E31, along with most older BMWs, actually uses both K-line and L-line for communication, depending on the specific modules. So an interface that speaks only K-line will only be able to talk to a few modules. This requires the use of BMW's ADS protocol to realise the full potential.

Newer BMWs (pre-CAN) use only K-line for communication, compatible with both ADS and OBD protocols. The protocol is not to be confused with the physical interface (round 20-pin or 16-pin OBD), there is actually very little difference in the physical interfaces other than the shape -- you can get 16-pin to 20-pin interface adaptors. It is notable that you can use the ADS protocol through the 16-pin OBD connector, for example.

CAN is of course much faster and more advanced, and it integrates the diagnosis interface with that of the car's own communication protocol. Previously there was i-bus for internal comms, and K/L-line for diag. Most post-2006 models are now CAN based, for many manufacturers not just BMW. I believe this is driven by US requirements, similar to the standardisation of OBD in the US in the mid 90s and in the EU in 2001 (or 2004 for diesel). There is even an optical connection available on newer models, to allow the larger ECU flash files to be uploaded at much higher speed.

• What you're wanting to do is remap the data in the ECU, which in BMW speak is programming. This can be done with older versions of DIS (up to v44 I believe) or SSS. There are also aftermarket solutions. This only applies to later models (DME v5.2) as older DME 3.3 models have a one time programmable EPROM which can only be modified by replacing the chip.

However it's not a simple case of clicking a button, you have to wait for the program to be downloaded to the ECU, and during this time the power supply needs to be stable otherwise the write can fail resulting in a non-working ECU. In some cases, simple re-flashing will work, but it's possible for the OBD flashing to stop responding, requiring removal of the ECU to reflash on the bench if you're unlucky (possibly requiring removal of the flash chip).

Personally I don't see it being worthwhile really, a good map will show good performance gains, and will also usually allow for a slight improvement in economy if the car is driven gently. Few people get economy gains though as they drive it harder after remapping because they're enjoying the extra power! If you want economy, simply drive more sedately :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!