Headlight adjuster repair

• Hi guys,

I have the dreaded failure of the plastic headlight adjusters on one of my headlights. As a result, the main beam unit just flops around inside the headlight bucket, most of the time pointing about 45º downwards! I have bought 4 new adjusters from BMW, so will replace both on the broken headlight, and do the other headlight when time permits.

A mate who used to be a self-employed mechanic and still has his own workshop has made up a suitable tool for me to turn the adjusters without breaking them. However I am struggling to find instructions on how to actually do the repair. I have managed to find a PDF showing a repair on the North American type of lights, but as Euro lights are significantly different I doubt it will be much help.

Is there such a write up available? I am wary of screwing up the job as it will leave my 8 unroadworthy. At the moment it is driveable only because the fog lights on the 8 are basically dipped beam lights with a shorter and wider pattern, hence I'm using them as a temporary substitute.

Thanks.

• I have the Euro adjuster procedure available. Its a 1.5meg PDF. Contact me at wuffer(at)shaw.ca and I will email it to you. And Gerry is right - you do need that tool!
    Cheers!

• Help

Guys I need some help, I needed to swap my HID's back to normal halogen and despite using the proper tool the headlamp adjusters have broken!

I've searched but I'm not sure and I've looked on REALOEM and found this part number - is this correct? (item 9 on the pic below) I also need the shorter adjuster and I can't find the proper part number.

Cheers in advance for your help!

• Hello Jason,

they always break. They do this by design, new or old because they´re made from high pressure manatee droppings.

You will need 2x #9 and 1x #10 per side, depending on how many you crumbled.

You can also ring your former countryman Fredi and ask him for the replacement bits he had made a while ago.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Cheers Reinhard - I've oredered 9 and 10 this morning.

I actually have a set of Fredi-Schrauben but from the bad batch that unfortunately found their way into circulation. Fredi is providing me with correct ones. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!