Where can i find more pictures???

• If you search for "e31" on ebay.de you'll find loads of these for sale - same company posts multiple adds. I have never seen one in the flesh and to be honest, it looks a bit too "fast and furious" as one club member commented. It's even got the pictograph shopping list on the front wings

• makes the 8 look like a 200SX.

Remove the shopping trolly handle from the boot lid, get a single colour,(black), no shopping list on the side, and remove the windsheild foil.

The kit looks ok, but I think it is more "looks over function"
    These cars a capable of 250+km/h so adding something like that may ruin high speed performance.
    Think I will stick with the CSI kit, at least that gives an aerodynamic advantage over stock at high speeds.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;59638

Egil,

does the CSi Kit actually improve aerodynamics? Any idea where I could get more info on that?

In fact it does not. Exactly the opposite happens.

The drag coefficient cw of the standard issue E31 was measured to be cw=0.29 whereas that of the CSi with the full aerodynamic kit (spoiler, mirror, diffusor) set it back to cw=0.31.

The reasoning goes so: front spoiler: improved downforce and increased cooling air throughput, rear diffusor: reduced aerodynamic lift and reduction of dirt on tail lights

Hence the only "advantages" are that the ground effect in a CSi will keep it earthbound longer and cooler than other E31s. Sub Zero ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Tony... it's a car. It doesn't have a head or even a face - unless, of course, you are making an animated cartoon about cars and want to give them a personality;-)

By the way: According to the chaps on Top Gear, this is the reason we don't find pup-up headlights anymore: Somehow the designers think that the lights of a car are its "eyes" and, thus, have to be visible all the time. What nonsense. ;)

j/k ;)

• Fuzzy, I disagree :boxing:

I would say most people who bought an 8 did so because of the way it looked, and secondly because of the way it goes. There are cars that look similar but go different, and cars that go better but look different.

Very few people buy what they consider to be an ugly fast car, and many many people buy a good looking slow car, a pretty slow car if you will ;) I opted for a pretty good looking and reasonably fast one :cool:

Organic forms are present throught the car industry. Who would argue that the 8 has a shark nose for instance ? The CSi kit adds a gaping mouth to that analogy !! Aero packages frequently look to nature in their forms, as nature has perfected it's fluid dynamics over millions of years, rather than the last couple of hundred.

Cars will always rightly or wrongly be given personalities, and gender, based on their physical appearance. Some are muscular, some slender and sleek, some with a fat arse. Many people refer to the car as 'she' or 'her', as indeed most forms of transport are labelled. My car's brain (another analogy) has a mind of it's own and presents me with good and bad days driving depending on which ecu is playing up at the time.... of month.... :laugh:

I just hope I never end up with a muscular one with a fat arse and screwed up wiring.....

as for pop uop headlights, I think that is mainly because they are an electrical liability and secondly offer little in the way of aero-dynamics. They've been designed out of the motor industry in true Darwinian fashion.... but then of course that would be silly wouldn't it ??? ;)

• Tony is correct.

The CSI front bumper and defuser helps the flow under the car.

The stock 850i tends to get a light and unstable nose at high speeds (like 250km/h and above) and the steering feels light.
    The CSI kit makes the car more stable at high speeds, and thus is aerodynamicaly better.

for me who soon will have a very powerful 850, and will test the car up around 300km/h this summer, aerodynamic funtionality is vital.

I was therfor raising the question regarding this kit, it may look good, but if it makes you want to shit your pants at 250 it's no good.

I had my car at 260km/h in 2006, the nose felt light, I really felt my worn bushings and shocks, and the wind noise from the mirrors was defening.

My suspension is fixed and I'm ready for a new high speed run

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!