Door Pin Trims.

• Hi all, I was asked to manufacture some door lock pin surrounds for an E46 and whilst doing them, thought they may look quite nice on an E31 which has no surround at all for these. I therefore made a set of 5, 4 for testing and 1 for archive and wondered if anyone would be interested in them.

I propose to make them in polished or black anodised with colours to special order if there is any interest. They are made from billet aluminium (surprise, surprise!) and have a 0.003" sliding fit with my alloy door pins so no vibration or squeaks. They are a simple push fit so will take just seconds to install a pair.

Any interest?

8Tech.

• Gerry,

these look really very nice indeed, especially with the collar. One small point, though: I think the original ones are designed so that they can be pulled-up by hand, in the event that the electric central-locking switch is unuseable. On newer cars, the door locks can be released by pulling the internal handle twice (first-pull pushes up the door pins), but I think that on the 8-series this is not so, at least not on my one?

However, I guess that this design would make it a little harder for a theif to enter.

• Gerry,
    I have replaced the stock plastic pins with Chrome one, which look great and these collars will finish them off nicely - a pair for me too please.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;59718

Gerry,
    I have replaced the stock plastic pins with Chrome one, which look great and these collars will finish them off nicely - a pair for me too please.

The addition of the collar might mean that the internal pin is of a smaller diameter? you may need to check. (That is, if the collar is designed for the existing hole.)

• Gerry are they designed so that when they are in the down /locket position the pin is flush with the top of the collar thus making it impossible for them to be pulled up manually? I like the thought of a flush fitting pin:harhar: with collar.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• I've installed Gerry's pins a while back. I really like 'em, especially since mine are flush with the panel when locked.

I'd take a pair of these lock pin surrounds in anodised black please :top:

Cheers

• Zitat von arnie;59717

Gerry,

these look really very nice indeed, especially with the collar. One small point, though: I think the original ones are designed so that they can be pulled-up by hand, in the event that the electric central-locking switch is unuseable. On newer cars, the door locks can be released by pulling the internal handle twice (first-pull pushes up the door pins), but I think that on the 8-series this is not so, at least not on my one?

However, I guess that this design would make it a little harder for a theif to enter.

Hi Arnie, the E31 does not have pin surrounds, the pins just exit through the door panel. I think you are referring to the pins themselves.

Regards, 8Tech.

• Zitat von Lloyd;59728

Gerry are they designed so that when they are in the down /locket position the pin is flush with the top of the collar thus making it impossible for them to be pulled up manually? I like the thought of a flush fitting pin:harhar: with collar.

My alloy door pins have been available for well over a year now, I am now making the surrounds. The pins are 0.003" under 8mm and the collars are reamed to 8mm. The pins can be fitted flush if required so you can get the flush look when locked.

• OK chaps, I will do a run of 40 surrounds, ie 20 pairs mostly in polished but some sets in black. Please send me a PM to reserve a pair and I expect to ship in about 14 days depending on the polisher/anodisers.

Surrounds will cost £12 per pair plus £1.50 P+P to the UK.

Pins cost £15 per pair plus £1.50 P+P.

Combined shipping of pins and surrounds will still be £1.50.

Thanks for the support.:top:

8Tech.

• Zitat von 8Tech;59742

Hi Arnie, the E31 does not have pin surrounds, the pins just exit through the door panel. I think you are referring to the pins themselves.

Regards, 8Tech.

Hello, Gerry, thanks for the answer. I would also be interested in a set, but my question was really whether:

a.) the door pin collars fit in the existing hole in the door trim? (i guess, yes, without having to enlarge the hole)
    b.) if so, then whether the door pin is of a smaller diameter than the original (to allow room for the collar)?
    c.) If the collar requires a smaller pin diameter, then do you also supply the pins to match the original ones in length?

The last point is that the e31, I believe, is not designed for flush-fitting pins (although they look nicer), since should the central-locking fail in an accident, one cold become locked in.

Thanks

• The collars for the E31 only sit 3mm into the top of the panel and are retained with a dab of low tack glue, like evo stik contact adhesive so no door panel mods or damage. The collars in the pic are ones I made for an X5.

If you look down the hole, it is stepped and that is why the collar only goes down 3mm to the step.

My alloy pins are not threaded which allows the owner to decide whether or not they require flush fitting pins or not. To fit completely flush then the rod protruding from the door can be shortened (see note **) and the pin fitted at any height required with an epoxy glue. You can still exit the car from the interior door handle.

(Note ** If you shorten this rod and at a later stage wish to return the car to standard then the new replacement for the shortened part is only 78p)

Hope that helps,

8Tech.

• Zitat von 8Tech;59769

...You can still exit the car from the interior door handle....

8Tech.

Gerry, that's interesting, because on my car (Sept 94), the interior handle is completely blocked if the pin is down. (I know on newer BMWs the first pull of the handle will release the pin and the second, release the lock.)

Thank you for the clarification on the collar.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!