Staggered Alpina's are on !!!

• So Arnie I if I bought the 18x8 and 18x9 Softlines will I need spacers and rings? When speaking to the Alpina supplier he told me the only wheels available in the correct offset were the Classic. I see having to use spacers and spigot rings as another factor in the equation of keeping everything wobble free in the 8. Would you agree. In the ad Steve has kindly posted above, the seller says they will fit straight on to the 8. I think he is wrong?

• Steve, yes, that is correct.

These softlines are 9" wide at the rear and go with 265 width tyres. The original wheels for these cars were actually the 17" alpina classics, the M-turbines or the BBS bolted x-spokes, all 17" diameter and 9.5" /10" wide and designed for 275 width tyres. The 18" classic alpinas are 10.5" and that is really the maximum width you can fit with a 285 width tyre.

Now, the 18" soflines were designed for the e39 and have a slightly larger spiggot-hole diameter (74.6mm compared to 72 mm) and so a hub centering ring is required for proper fit. (See gerry for these).

Also the offsets on the 18" softlines are greater than with say, the classics, such that the mounting surface and spokes are much closer to the outer face; and therefore the wheel sits further into the arch. This is OK, as they are only 9" wide in the first place, so will not rub, but the car will look a bit funny with the wheels inset. Therefore, to correct the look, you would need a 10mm spacer for the front wheels and a 15mm spacer for the rear wheels, both requiring longer bolts.

In someways the softlines are nicer than the classics, giving a more modern look, but all the other hassles detract somewhat.

You might wish to consider the 18" M-parallels that were often fitted to the e38. These are original equipment for the later e31s and have all the correct dimensions.

• Anyone any good websites for Tyre pressures. The Alpina's have Falkens 245/40/18 & 285/35/18 and i need to get hold of the correct tyre pressures. Which isn't as easy as I'd thought. Any direction would be appreciated.
    GARC

• Apparently, there is no need to change from what is recommended in the handbook, but personally I feel those pressures are too hard for the modern low profile tyres.

I keep mine at 34/35 which feels right;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• From the BMW Manual

Is this table any use? These were written in the days when Michelin MXXs were std fit.
    The second row of figures quoted are for a Csi but those tyre sizes are an exact match for yours......

I find their recommended pressures quite firm (840)...

BUT even on the recommended 2.7bar for 235/45 fronts I have discovered that the centre 20% of the front tyres have hardly any wear after 10,000 miles:shock:
    Which points to under-inflation................:hmmmm::dontknow:

Another point affecting the ride is the make of tyre.
    I had Pirelli P-Zeros on before and found the ride diabolically hard...very unforgiving rubber. After that Goodyear Eagle F1's...ride marginally better, but handling was twitchy...

I have now switched to Michelin Sport II - mad prices, but the ride has been transformed and the handling (even in my unsporting hands) and feel greatly improved.

• Zitat von steveirl;61671

I am about to pull the trigger on a set of 18" Alpina Originals as fitted by Garc at the beginning of this post. I would prefer the Softline but apparently they are not available in the correct offset for the E31?
    I have been offered a choice of three tyres, Goodyear GSD3, Pirelli PZero Assym. and Michelin Pilot Sport. There is a difference of £220 with the Goodyears the cheapest and Michelin the most expensive. Which would you guys choose.
    I currently have Goodyear F1 GSD3 on the CSi and am happy but have nothing to compare them with as they have always been on the car.
    Steve

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-…A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Any good for you:hmmmm:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Tyres - my thoughts if you like?

Zitat von steveirl;61671

I am about to pull the trigger on a set of 18" Alpina Originals as fitted by Garc at the beginning of this post. I would prefer the Softline but apparently they are not available in the correct offset for the E31?
    I have been offered a choice of three tyres, Goodyear GSD3, Pirelli PZero Assym. and Michelin Pilot Sport. There is a difference of £220 with the Goodyears the cheapest and Michelin the most expensive. Which would you guys choose.
    I currently have Goodyear F1 GSD3 on the CSi and am happy but have nothing to compare them with as they have always been on the car.
    Steve

I've experienced all these over 7 years of ownership and would unhesitatingly recommend the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT.
    PIRELLI P-ZEROs = too hard compound, ride poor, traction average, noise OK
    GOODYEAR F-1s = compound OK, ride average, traction average, noise very poor, handling twitchy.
    MICHELIN PILOT SPORTs = quietest of the three, very good ride, amazing traction, handling very good and overall 'feel' just right.

Interestingly I also have just fitted these to my sweetheart's Audi A3 3.2 to replace Pirelli P-Zeros and the car has been transformed. Much smoother ride and 'crashiness' gone.

Also I don't rate the V-tread pattern of the Goodyears....sexy when it came out, but having driven 15 years on them on different cars, I'm no longer a fan.

Downside of course is...........COST. I'm sure there are other brands as good but I don't know as I haven't tried any others.

• I agree Michelins are my favorite - I need some for the 528i se sport ( 8 is still SORNed !!), currently got Dunlop Sport 235 45 Z ZR17's on- Kwikfit quoted 160 each if I bought 4, for Miches, + £5 for valve, £8 for balance and £3 case disposal, that's £176 each.
    Costco (biggest Michelin fitter in UK, Mich only) £97 each if I bought 2, £89 each if I bought 4, including VAT, free valve, free balance, filled with nitrogen (keeps em cooler apparently) and no carcase charge - cheaper than Avons!
    Worth the £20 a year membership just to get tyres there! No affiliation , check for yourself etc etc.
    Tony :top:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!