• There are many posts on here extolling the virtues of Gerry's static camber plates and I don't doubt the enthusiastic responses posted by many of you who have fitted them, however this raises a couple of questions in my mind that I hope someone can answer.

1) With all the R&D resources of BMW, why would they design the car with a camber angle that is sub-optimal?

2) How did Gerry come up with the camber angle that is created with his static plates?

BTW I am thinking of having the plates fitted on the basis of the feedback on here but I want to understand the science behind them first.:hmmmm:

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Let me take a crack at this one :)

1. BMW like all manufacturers builds "Compromise" vehicles. So by definition every vehicle starts out as Suboptimal for any given conditions. But they are Servicable for All designed conditions.

Only specific purpose vehicles like race cars are designed as Optimal vehicles for specific circumstances and there is still modification to those for specific tracks and conditions.

With BMW the large heavy cars are sold to drive well under varying conditions but the steering geometry that makes them comfortable for the "normal" driver is less than optimal for tire wear and sporty steering response.

Adding camber improves both the steering response and reduces the outer edge tire wear. Wear is improved because the total inertial weight of the car is distributed across the tire tread with less concentration on the dug in outer edge. Response and handling are improved by having the weight more evenly distributed and the increase in tire traction that comes with more contact with the road.

2. The standard/factory correct angle if I remember right is a maximum of about -.5 degrees of camber (top of the wheel in) and minimum is ~0 degrees.

Experimentation over the years and various BMW models with similar suspension geometry has determined that the "Ideal" angle is -1.5 degrees for mostly sporty Road use. This is prior to the point where the extremest tire wear moves to the inside of the tire and street handling is adversely affected.

Most static plates including Gerrys are set at -1.5 degrees. The K-Mac variables are adjustable out to -3 or more degrees but have moving parts and more potential for error or failure.

I hope that was of help :)

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Zitat von TerryY;64906

Let me take a crack at this one :)

Adding camber improves both the steering response and reduces the outer edge tire wear. Wear is improved because the total inertial weight of the car is distributed across the tire tread with less concentration on the dug in outer edge. Response and handling are improved by having the weight more evenly distributed and the increase in tire traction that comes with more contact with the road.

Thanks Terry, it seems strange that with the benefits quoted above, BMW set the camber at -0.5 to 0? Surely a more responsive and better traction cornering capability would suit all types of driver, considering that it is a no-cost option when building the car, to increase camber.:hmmmm:

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• There is always a negative side to everything. The more sporty things become the less something else they become. The thing i learned from modifying my last car was that it turned it into a car I didnt actually like anymore???? Go Figure??

I would suggest that you find someone who has had the mod done and ask see if you can have a go or be taken for a ride. You might find that you dont like a more sporty steering response. By the way I love your wheels!! (might be because I have the same :-))

HTH

• all cars are set up with a tendency to understeer as most drivers reacts better to this than to oversteer.
    for an inexperienced driver a car that understeers is giving a very clear statment that you are driving on the limit and should slow down.
    Most would not be able to cope with oversteer and a loose back end.

by changing the camber the car will oversteer more, and is a bit more of a handfull to drive, ad an LSD and things can get a bit hairy.
    then imagine putting a young girl behind the wheel...... a recipe for disaster.

My old e36 was set up with k.mac camberplates and bilstein pss9 fully adjustable suspension.
    That car was dangerous to drive when set up to the extreme.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Radron;64910

There is always a negative side to everything. The more sporty things become the less something else they become. The thing i learned from modifying my last car was that it turned it into a car I didnt actually like anymore???? Go Figure??

I would suggest that you find someone who has had the mod done and ask see if you can have a go or be taken for a ride. You might find that you dont like a more sporty steering response. By the way I love your wheels!! (might be because I have the same :-))

HTH

I understand your point on not liking the mod car after all the effort,that is also how I felt about my old Supercharged 840,I didn't like it any more so sold it .

I had the camber plates fitted and they're a definate improvement, .

Only to miss owning an 8 so I got another;-)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von stevep840;64917

I understand your point on not liking the mod car after all the effort,that is also how I felt about my old Supercharged 840,I didn't like it any more so sold it .

I had the camber plates fitted and they're a definate improvement, .

Only to miss owning an 8 so I got a proper one (V12);)

Fixed that for you :grin2:

• Zitat von Radron;64925

Out of interest how much are the camber plates?

Around £85 from memory, if this is your only mod then you'll be very happy:)

• Zitat von Radron;64929

Hi mate

I have a bit of a list actually. Camber plates sound like they will save some cash on tyres, strut strengthening bits (I understand this is a weak point on e31's) and braided hoses.

Sounds like a phone call to Gerry is on the cards:harhar:.

• Zitat von Radron;64910

By the way I love your wheels!! (might be because I have the same :-))

HTH

Hi Radron, I changed the wheels back to original M-Style 11 (Throwing Stars) because the AC Schnitzer copies had buckled. Picture is not my car but shows the new wheels

I am pleased with the change (even going down to 17"). The Schnitzer copies cannot be aligned on the BMW KDS - they don't have the little holes for the KDS tool to locate in.

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;64964

Hi Radron, I changed the wheels back to original M-Style 11 (Throwing Stars) because the AC Schnitzer copies had buckled. Picture is not my car but shows the new wheels

I am pleased with the change (even going down to 17"). The Schnitzer copies cannot be aligned on the BMW KDS - they don't have the little holes for the KDS tool to locate in.

Interesting - have you got a picture to show the little holes you mentioned there? I don't know if my BBS wheels have them

Cheers

• Zitat von Argonaut;64965

Interesting - have you got a picture to show the little holes you mentioned there? I don't know if my BBS wheels have them

Cheers

The picture is taken from Gerry's Thread
    http://www.8er.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8719

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!