Supercharger install

• nice to see that it worked... how much was the total cost?

Andreas Brännström
    Stockholm, Sweden

BMW 850I 19" Rial Daytona RIMS 235 / 275
    Kashmirbeige metallic

Over and Out

• Andeb.

Contact "John in dc" for prices.

Today I did the first dyno run.
    As expected there is a bit of work to do.
    I'm mostly running lean all over the rev band and "only" managed to get 330hp and 320ft-lbs (433nm) on my rear wheels.

A bit lower than Marcos 393hp/352ft-lbs (477nm)

So I'm "short" 60+hp and 30ft-lbs/45nm.

Also needs a bit of work to get the low and mid range power better as this is a bit low.

Next chip should be ready when I get back fom work, so a new run will be done in another 5 weeks time.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von 8Tech;69637

Be VERY careful if you are running lean. Those exhaust gas temperatures will elevate out of control and you will damage the valves or collapse the pistons.

8Tech.

I hardly use the car, I'm aware of the dangers, but the mix is not dangerously low, it lingers around 15 at low rpm's then reaches 13 at 4000 and 14 at 5500.

Should have been steady around 12-13 all the way, and below 12 at high rpm's.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von bradc;69659

14:1 is extremely lean that high up in the rev range, especially with relatively high compression ratio pistons. I wouldn't be taking it above 4000rpm!

Car is parked now, I'm off to China tomorrow for work.
    John has got my dyno charts and will make me a new set of chips for when I get back.

If the weather is good I will do another dyno with new mapping in about 5 weeks.

The AF is the green one and the inlet boost is the blue one, the boost is not a good measurement since it was taken from one on the fuel pressure regulators, but it gives you an idea

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie;69157

John is trying to locate the Euro map location on the DME chip so that he can make the change in the right place.

My DME's and EML has been in the US for 1,5 month and has been tried both in Johns Twin Turbo and in Marcos car, and works just fine.
    They are now being returned to me so that I can move the car and have it pepared for winter storage.
    Due to my work, the next time I will be able to test a new set of chips will be in mid-November. Hope John has found the euro map location by then.

warming up an old topic...

So there are, indeed, two different maps on the DMEs? One for EURO and one for US? I'm looking into those as well with another friend from the forum.

Does anyone, by any chance (maybe John?) have the address-space of the two maps? Or put another way: How do I find the address-space of the maps?

Lots of thanks in advance!!!

• I think there is more than 2 maps on the dme's.
    Think you might get hold of John easier by sending him an e-mail.
    Or perhaps you could talk to wokke.

My car is still parked, had a new dyno done with the sam chip on a different dyno, 345 whp and 473 wheel nm.

Fuel mix is dangerously lean, and can damage my engine so I'm awaiting a new chip and the car is not used.
    Due to winter I expect to continue the fine tuning of the engine mapping in March-May depending on weather and work.

Cant wait untill next year, havent driven the car more than 100km since June just going back and forth to the dynos.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie;71412

My car is still parked, had a new dyno done with the sam chip on a different dyno, 345 whp and 473 wheel nm.

Fuel mix is dangerously lean, and can damage my engine so I'm awaiting a

Noggie,

did you get on that second dyno a better printout with AFR, boost and better logged rpm? If so please attach the graph here.

firebird

• Zitat von firebird;71704

Noggie,

did you get on that second dyno a better printout with AFR, boost and better logged rpm? If so please attach the graph here.

firebird

Here it is, to bad the forum rescales it to be so small.

The weird thing at 4000rpm is a scaling issue, the dyno was set up to read power pr. kph instead og RPM, so when we changed to RPM it came out like this. you can also see that the only place the AF mix is adequate is from 4600-5300 rpm, else it's running lean.
    For those interested I hit 205kph in 3rd gear at the end of the scale

Torque is in NM, not Ft-lbs.

I must point out the the reason for this is NOT the SC kit, but my camshafts.
    Anyone who buys this kit with a stock M70 will not have these issues, they are unique to my engine since it was not stock in the first place, and therefore requires some tweeking :grin2:

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Noggie,
    I can't see any attachment / Pic in your last post???

from what you descriping - it looks like your dyno gyus don't realy know what they are doing. If I am paying a dyno place to get a RPM, HP,torque, AFR and boost dyno sheet - than I wouldn't accept the bad logging / print out sheets what you got or the setup problems you descripe.

In order to get your fuel maps adjusted you will need better graphs.

thx
    firebird

• I put the graph in my album, so you could check it out there.

The problem was that the car infront of me wanted KPH instead of RMP on the bottom axis, I did not notice this until I got back home, so I returned and they converted the scale to RPM, then what was a little curve in the KPH graph became a spike on the RPM graph.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Thread revival.

Well, a new set of chips which shoud give me a far better result are on the way from the US.
    This time the mix should be on the rich side, not the lean one.
    I have been told to expect at least 30 whp from last time, probably more, which puts me at a minimum of 375whp... only the dyno will show.

The snow is slowly melting away and with new brakes being installed, and the chips arriving before the weekend there is a huge chance I might be able to take her out for a drive next weekend, and a new dyno next monday.

I know many of you are eagerly awaiting the result of this, and I am really looking forward to finally be able to drive the car again, more or less for the first time since last June.

More to come as soon as there is something to report.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von firebird;74581

Noggie,

make sure this time with exact RPM, HP,torque, AFR and boost logging.

cheers
    firebird

Unable to log boost, all the other values will be more accurate than last time.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I have now driven the car for 2 days and she runs pretty well.
    The mix is a bit on the rich side but there is plenty of power.
    I will do a dyno on Monday and we will see just how much power there is.
    Expecting something like 370-380whp and (490nm) 360ft-lbs of wheel torque.

Still a bit of tuning to do but we are getting there.
    The car is fast when you drive it, 70-140kph (43-86mph) takes 10 seconds in SD with a kickdown.

0-100 (0-60) has not changed much, the car is not that fast off the line and I think that might be because it gets too much fuel.
    I guess it is 6,5-7sec now.
    The mid-range power is immense and there is just a massive amount of power there when driving along.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• 43-86 mph in 10 seconds? That's about the range of second gear and tad into third?

10 seconds seems pretty high. I have never timed my V8, but am very sure it would do that in about half the time?

Maybe I misunderstood.

• 10 seconds was not timed, I was dong 70kph in SD, and as I pressed the throttle I started counting, I doubt I am as accurate as a timer though, the gearbox had to do the downshift in that time aswell.
    could possibly shave 2-3 seconds off that time I guess.
    could try to use the box in manual and do it again with a timer.

The car is a lot faster than before, but I think it might be impared by the rich mix and struggle when suddenly flooring it, hence there is a slight delay and then it just takes off like a bullet.
    Also semes to loose power in the top end.

my 0-100 (60) time has not improved much either, the first 1/3 it is quite slow but it really comes back in the last 2/3.

There is still some work to be done with the mapping but at least now I can drive the car.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!