Rear screen heater problem

• Hello again everybody. Remember that new rear screen I put in 2 years ago? Well, all my efforts at sealing the edges were successful and no delamination, so far....

However, the entire top section has just stopped working - totally cold. Pulled off the interior C-pillar trim to find all the gubbins behind and in parallel checked the wiring diagram. There are actually two equal-sized matrices in the glass, top and bottom, with the two separate blocks of fine wires running in parallel between four edge connectors, an upper and lower on each side..

The edge connectors have a +ve wire on one side and a -ve wire on the other, giving four wires that then go to two oblong-shaped control thingies, one in each pillar. Obviously my problem can be narrowed down to the two top wires, but I'm at a loss to know how to test for voltages and continuity as I suspect some voltage regulation and/or step-down is going on in the "controllers". Has anybody ever got into the nitty gritty on what impedence there should be across the matrix? Or what range of voltages should be present on the supply wires?

I'd be grateful for any small tidbit of information that helps me to isolate the window (Lifetime Autoglass warranty here I come!) or indeed the car wiring at the faulty bit.

Cheers

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

Do every act of your life as if it were your last.

• Windows had it....

Thanks. As you said, I did indeed find 14.2V (engine on) across each set of supply wires once I'd worked out which wire was which. So I thought, why not make it easy and just switch the top and bottom supplies? Problem identified in one: bottom still gets hot but top doesn't.
    To be double sure, then checked the impedence across the window: 2.3 ohms at the bottom - open circuit at the top. Sadly, this means the window is knackered and its less than 2 years old. Will post how I get on with Autoglass. Should be interesting....

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• Zitat von sprucegoose;66023

Thanks. As you said, I did indeed find 14.2V (engine on) across each set of supply wires once I'd worked out which wire was which. So I thought, why not make it easy and just switch the top and bottom supplies? Problem identified in one: bottom still gets hot but top doesn't.
    To be double sure, then checked the impedence across the window: 2.3 ohms at the bottom - open circuit at the top. Sadly, this means the window is knackered and its less than 2 years old. Will post how I get on with Autoglass. Should be interesting....

There must be a break somewhere that cuts the line totally.
    If you're able to find this there are ways to repair this and not remove the window...special kind of paint can be applied.

Marko
    from Finland
    850i -91, 6 Speed manual

• Zitat von Algernon;66027

There must be a break somewhere that cuts the line totally.
    If you're able to find this there are ways to repair this and not remove the window...special kind of paint can be applied.

I agree on an old screen but if I had paid for a new screen I would require it is replaced under warranty.

• The repair of these screens is difficult, if not impossible, because the ultra-fine wires are embedded between two layers of laminated glass. This is different to the more usual and wider, red-brown copper depostitions found on the back of more conventional screens. A conductor break in these can be reapired with conductive paint.

The e31 rear screens tend to delaiminate at the edges, if the rubber seal around them starts to let in moisture. This then creeps in between the two layers of glass and starts to corrode the conductors. Usually the faults appear on the thick strips along the left or right edges of the screen. If it is here, it might be possible to drill or dremmel the glass at the side sufficiently to get some of this condcutive paint inside to bridge the break. However, this is not easy.

(The only other manufacturer that I know of that used similar rear screens was Mercedes with the contemporary R129 SL.)

If your screen was brand new to begin with, then it may be some other kind of fault that has caused the break, or the ruber seal was not fitted with sealing mastic.

• Went to Autoglass today. Sadly, parts are only guaranteed for 12 months (installed 08-2007) so I have to find a way to fix this myself. We pulled back the seals and, from the outside at least, the edge connectors look fine, so it has to be where the edge connector is soldered/bonded to the supply wire on one side of the glass. They advised against removing the glass as it is glued in place and any breakage would be my risk. One good thing to come out of it is confirmation that my bitumen sealing attempt has survived two years of weathering with zero moisture penetration, no corrosion and no milkiness. So it still looks geat - just doesn't demist!

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• Spruce when I first got my car it did not demist so I resoldered the connection on the side of the screen and that fixed mine as it must have been a dry joint. I used a gas powered soldering iron with a fine flame tip as it helped me to direct the heat fast.

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• I would have to say that the moral of this story is DO NOT USE AUTOGLASS, :naughty: their product is clearly (pun) inferior and I would persue this further. Not sure how much you paid but BMW would not hesitate to replace it under warranty.

My Independant auto glaziers would also change that under warranty.

8Tech.

• Lloyd, yes I think thats my problem. Where was the joint that you soldered? From the outside all I can see is the foil strip between the glass so nothing to get at there. There is a joint in the inside where the ribbon cables are bonded to the glass - Would that be where you did yours?

BTW, 8tech, don't be so quick to dismiss autoglass. This was an OEM part and I know that cos I saw the box it came in!

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• Didn't actually think about this...

If the wires are actually embedded there is no realistic way to correct a broken wire (or resistor wire).

Made the mistake based on my Ford that has one wire corrected with this method.

Marko
    from Finland
    850i -91, 6 Speed manual

• Autoglass not so bad...

As a last resort I wrote to Autoglass Customer Service at head office, pointing out that if I'd had the glass fitted by BMW, it would have come with a 2-year parts and labour guarantee. Also, that because it had failed so soon, it was plausible that they'd nicked it during the fitting process and so faulty workmanship couldn't be ruled out. Also, that no-one mentioned anything to me about it only having a 12 month parts guarantee.

Seems to have hit the mark. Got a call on Monday offering to fit a new rear screen free of charge, with another 12-month parts guarantee.

Can't do better than that, I'd say!

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• Thanks for the comments. They're coming Monday morning to fit it at my place - hope it doesn't rain. Will try to get some pics showing where the problem was.

1997 E31 840Ci Sport
    2009 Mini Cooper
    2008 Toyota RAV-4 XT-R

• Job Done

Autoglass arrived as promised and so we now have the second new rear screen inside 2 years. Is that some kind of record? Anyway, I stuck the meter across the old one but the break is still hidden underneath the edge seals, so not really any wiser. Given that this was more than likely a BMW manufacturing fault, I think Autoglass deserve huge credit for the way they have dealt with my complaint. Three cheers to them!

• Top tint?

I see no top-tint on your rear screen?

OEM was top tint.

I had same issue....none in country I was told.

Any others with similar experience?

Have BMW stopped making this?

• Poor quality glass fitters..........

Had 3 rear screens replaced in 2 yrs by BMW under warranty because of electrical issues in the wiring.

All very well and good, but 3 years later I then had corrosion appearing because of poor quality workmanship when fitting those screens.

Think in hindsight I'd be inclined to live with a few elements 'out' and not tempt fate with the future demon rust...............

• On my cars it build sheet it specified top tint as a optional extra:hmmmm: are you sure on this?

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!