engine issue (possibly??)

• Hey guys :winkwink:

Right...I was driving to get the Aux. fan fitted into the car, and whilst waiting at the traffic lights (been driving from cold about 5-10 minutes) I felt a jolt, which felt a little like the engine missed a bit.

Thinking I was imagining it, I carried on, got to the garage, all was fine. Setting off back from the garage to home, it did it again, but only once in about 15 minutes!

Anyone got any ideas? The idle can be a very slightly rough when first started, but only for a couple of minutes then it's fine. The temp. gauge is normal FYI.

Its the M62 engine (4.4) in '97 840 sport.

Any suggestions? :hmmmm: cheers! :)

------------------------------------------
    BMW 840ci Sport Invididual 1997
    Land Rover Freelander HSE Td4 2004
    Maserati Shamal 1996

• Depending on how severe your 'jolt' is, I am pretty sure I have experienced the same in my car.

Especially from a cold start before fully warmed up, at traffic lights you can feel a slight judder from the engine from time to time. I just put this down to the characteristics of the M62 V8, but I could be wrong.

I assumed this was normal due to my car having done less than 40k miles and therefore should be good as new engine wise. Fingers crossed anyways!!

It would be interesting to hear from some other M62 owners.

:winkwink:

• well it's not too shocking, just like a jolt haha! i cant really explain it...im sure someone else can do a better job if they've had it!

i was putting the judder down to characteristics of the engine too.

under 40k eh? lookin good! Although these engines can go for hundreds and thousands, just as long as they are maintained well!

Maserati Shamal 1996

• Just a thought - it's not the auxiliary fan "kicking" in is it? I experienced this when I first bought my car and was a little surprised at the jolt, it's definitely noticeable but I've got used to it now

EDIT - just noticed you were on your way to get the aux fan fitted so it was unlikely ot be that :)
    What gearbox have you got?

• Jolt = Misfire?

M62 Engine.
    In time, the cylinder head cover gaskets are prone to fail
    Engine oil then compromises the spark plug wiring
    Result is an occasional misfire which is felt as a jolt.

I had EXACTLY the symptoms you describe and replacing these gaskets cured it.
    The engine now runs super-smooth, with NO stutters

Maybe this?

PS I've never had a jolt from either the AUX Fan or the A/C Comp (yes, they do work)
    PPS There seem to be an awful lot of AUX Fan Threads/Posts at the moment....are they all becoming 'time/expired at once'

• my technologically inferior M70 drops aout 200rpm everytime the AC compressor turns on.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• hey thanks for the replies guys!

I'm going to get the aux. fan done tomorrow, having the O-rings looked at on the condenser as some UV dye was put in to trace a leak - came pouring out the front of the condenser on the small box bottom left (as you look at it from the front of the car). failing that, a new condenser, but thought i would try the O-rings first.

The car hasn't had a Inspection 1 or 2 done for a while, it was stood for 10 months, and so only did an oil service as that was the next service type due(a bit of a stickler for doing it in order :P). I was a bit concerned about the stutter though (like a jolt).

Would it be worth checking the error codes? would that show anything up? or should i just get a major service done, even though its only 2000 miles since the oil service and the green lights (bar one) are still on?

Maserati Shamal 1996

• My m62 840 had a jolt once. usually at idle or dropping revs when coming to traffic lights. It started as a jolt as the engine cut then came back but got worse to the point of having to stop and re-start.

Was a cranckshaft sensor which cost about £30. Mine too was not used much by the previous owner and I had to initially iron out a couple of things that i put down to that.

Mine too drops or raises revs a little when a fan, i guess, kicks in and out. Its not a jolt though.

• I will ask the garage about it as It is booked in for next week.

On my car I would describe it more as an intermittent stutter. I certainly do not notice ANY change in revs when fans etc.. are kicking in. Also there is no movement of the RPM needle on idle either, just a random little stutter from time to time.

I'm not concerned or even sure there is anything wrong.

Can anyone here with the M62 840Ci honestly say that their engine idles super smooth and absolutley never 'stutters' in any way shape or form? It is very hard to notice. I only notice it when the radio is off and sitting at lights etc...and even then it would never be noticed if talking to a passenger for example.

After doing a search I came across this post : http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…1981&highlight=rough+idle

Sounds like it may well be normal characteristics of the engine.

• Zitat von sparklesmcgraw;66156

Violet, when are you next in Aberdeen? Fancy meeting up at some point? The 'jolt' can then be compared.

haha aye can do! I'm around today and tomorrow evening, then off working in Leeds till tuesday

Maserati Shamal 1996

• Hi Sparkles, yes my car has the same problem, (if it is a problem). I have a 1997 840 CiA, when sitting in the drivers seat and the car is idling, I can feel a small vibration, possibly a described as a judder, no change on the RPM. I thought it was a serious problem, but Gerry at PhoenixSports checked it out for me. It remained after changing the spark plugs and some leaking cam gaskets, and I suspect it is normal for the car. I am reassured that your car also has it, I suspect many more have it (atleast my dads Jag has a similiar vibration as well), Gerry has looked at it since and not seen anything to worry about, I hope that helps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!