Almost made me cry

• Thanks chaps.

Steve - yes I would do it again, but I probably would have put the car in storage during the winter and attacked it in the spring. Trying to do all of this work uncovered in the rain, snow and freezing temperatures plus dark evenings made me want to self harm. Plus I have a 50 hour a week job with a 2.5 hour commute and a wife and 2 kids to keep happy (i'm going to have you in tears soon :grin2:).

The total cost of the repairs was about £2,500 which was not too bad especially considering that the car is in much better shape than before the accident. It would have been much more pricey if I hadn't been able to feed off a virtually identical breaking car in the same colour (thanks for the tip Graham :top:).

Overall it's been great fun, there have been ups and downs (lots) but it felt great to get the MoT yesterday :). CB57313 is back.

Lloyd - we should plan a meet so you can admire my handy work :harhar:. Any ideas?

• Nick,

What a job. Fair play to you! Your story and the support given by all are a real testament to the people who love and support these cars.

Well done!

Mark

• Zitat von NickF;74568

Had the VIC done and got tax so all nice and legal :)..:mrgreen:

Well done on the repairs. Looks like a job well done!

I am now in the same situation with my other car, which was a mint condition e38, 728i sport individual, before some one hit me in the rear, crunching the spare-wheel well in the boot floor. The insurance company want to declare it as Cat-C write-off with a buy-back offer if I decide to keep it and get it fixed. I read somewhere that when re-insuring a Cat-C or Cat-D the insurance company must be informed and the premiums may be higher. Have you fround this to be the case?

• I had no problems insuring it as a previous CAT C. The insurance company that I was covered with eSure/Sainsburys have a policy to not cover CAT C cars and a lot of the very fussy insurers have the same policy. I shopped around and had no problems finding someone to cover me, plus I saved money on my previous policy :cool:.

The VIC process is easy too. If you are comfortable taking on the repairs don't let other BS put you off. BTW - from memory I paid around £1,500 to buy it back, that was based on a write off value of £4,500.

• Thank you for the information. My insurance company is esure. They eventually gave me a reasonable value for the car, but it had helped that I'd saved the online quotation where I had selected the [£7,500 to £50,000] option as the estimated value when taking out the policy, because the insurance documents only said "market value". They also said that typically the buy-back would be 30% or 35%, but in this particular case they would agree to 20% (probably because I have not had a loan car in the interim for 2 months and I don't think the vauation took any account of it being an "individual" spec version.

Anyway, another repair place said that I could probably ask the insurance company to treat it as a "budget repair" (ie only pay upto their 60%-of-MV write-off limit) and so not write-it off. Has anyone ever done this with their insurers?

By the wa,y what is noted on the registration document after a Cat-C? Does the number of keepers change? Is the accident noted on the new registration document you get after the VIC?

• Zitat von arnie;76987

Thank you for the information. My insurance company is esure. They eventually gave me a reasonable value for the car, but it had helped that I'd saved the online quotation where I had selected the [£7,500 to £50,000] option as the estimated value when taking out the policy, because the insurance documents only said "market value". They also said that typically the buy-back would be 30% or 35%, but in this particular case they would agree to 20% (probably because I have not had a loan car in the interim for 2 months and I don't think the vauation took any account of it being an "individual" spec version.

Anyway, another repair place said that I could probably ask the insurance company to treat it as a "budget repair" (ie only pay upto their 60%-of-MV write-off limit) and so not write-it off. Has anyone ever done this with their insurers?

By the wa,y what is noted on the registration document after a Cat-C? Does the number of keepers change? Is the accident noted on the new registration document you get after the VIC?

One of my cars was a Cat C write off in 2006, there's nothing on the Reg Doc that I could see to indicate this though, I found out about teh Cat C because I did a vehicle check before I bought it.

• I think I found the answer from the DVLA website:

[INDENT] Checking a vehicle’s identity

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) carries out the VIC. It’s designed to confirm the car’s identity and help ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road.
    The VIC takes around 20 minutes to complete and involves comparing the details on the DVLA vehicle record against the car presented. The VIC is a check of identity, it doesn’t look at the quality of the repair or confirm roadworthiness. If you have any concerns regarding these aspects, you should seek the opinion of an independent expert.
    Once a car has passed a VIC, the V5C issued will be annotated to showsubstantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on dd/mm/ccyy’.

Confirming if a VIC marker is set

You can check if a VIC marker is set, by making a vehicle enquiry through the Vehicle Enquiry section of DVLA's vehicle online services. To make your enquiry you’ll need to know the vehicle registration mark and vehicle make.
    Once you make an enquiry the VIC marker will only show if it’s been set against the vehicle record by DVLA.
    [/INDENT]

• Interesting, cheers Arnie, I'd better have another gander at that V5C.

• Zitat von Argonaut;76999

Interesting, cheers Arnie, I'd better have another gander at that V5C.

I think this thing about noting a CAT-C on the V5c is relatively recent, it may not be on your V5 if you have had it a few years. I think you may also be able to check the status of your car on-line on the DVLA website just using the registration number and make.

However, if your car was a CAT-D, then these are not noted by the DVLA

• I had to send my V5 to eSure, but then they sent it back to me unmolested. So there's nothing on my V5 regarding the CAT C although if i need a new V5 it will probably show up. It will also show up to anyone who does an HPI or similar so there's no point in trying to hide it, but CAT Cs on older/cheap cars are fairly meaningless. My mate had a nasty Suzuki that someone drove into very slowly, denting his bumper. Because his piece of crud was worth so little the insurance co CAT Cd it and he had to get it VICd to get it back on the road. He didn't repair the damage at all. I don't understand why this wasn't a CAT D, but they don't seem to use CAT D on older cars.

Remember that the VIC is just a formality, they just check the chassis # against the DVLA database to prevent cut & shuts (and to make VOSA a few quid). They don't care about the condition of the car, it could be on fire for all they care.

• Nick,

That's interesting. I thought that esure would send the V5 back to the DVLA and that then the car would need to be re-registered afterwards (although they did say they only needed to check it for the ownership details and also check that it had an MOT). I have also asked whether they would consider making a "payment in lieu of repairs", which I understand is something that insurance companies sometimes do. The payment may be a little less than a write-off, but as it absolves them from the need to warranty the repair, they do not need to write the car off. I might hear from them today, whether they could do that in this case.

Update:

Just heard from Esure and unfortunately no "payment in lieu" is possible in the case of a total-loss, so have decided to accept the "total-loss" payment and their buy-back offer. However, they mentioned that they only allow upto 60-days to effect the repairs (pass MOT and VIC) or something about my insurance becoming invalidated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!