Almost made me cry

• Some complete git decided to stop on a slip lane of the M1 last night, me and 3 other cars piled into him. Of course it's my fault :banghead:.

Anyway, no surprise that the insurance have written it off, but i'm going to buy it back. I know i'd be better off scrapping it and buying a new one but it's my beast and I won't abandon him in his hour of need. There's only 500 left, i'm buggered if i'm going to make it 499. I may be asking for help with finding parts/body shops soon but for now I wanted to share my pain.....sniff:bawling:.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/9996/

• Hey Nick,
    What a nightmare - I hope you're okay?
    Shame to see such a beauty in this state but best of luck with the re-build. Sorry to hear the bad news though however as long as you didn't get crumpled up yourself, that's the main thing :top:

• Right Nick this is how it goes. This weekend start your list of things you need in order of priority so that we all can work together to get her back on the road.:driver:

Glad that you appear to be ok;-)

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Nick,
    Sorry to hear your bad news but glad you are OK. Go on the BMW Car Club Website - there is a guy who is breaking an 840 that has only done a low mileage then was stored for the last 15 years - he has lots of parts.
    BREAKING BMW 840 £OFFERS
    Engine: 4.0
    Mileage: 4,000
    Trans: N/A
    Fuel: N/A
    Year: 1994
    T: 023 9259 2064
    M: 0782 1995754
    E: Not Available
    Breaking 1994 BMW 840 less than 4000 miles when written off, in storage for 15 years In addition to original parts, new BMW manufacture parts for damaged front including bonnet, bulkhead, radiator, front wing + much, much more.
    Added: 11/08/2009
    Reference: 6059

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• These may not be the best prices but here goes

wing
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E31-…8da2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

headlight cover
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E31-…8dae&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

These one may have all the bits

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E31-…7d02&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

front lower spoiler standard 850 type

I have my old one still which you can have free! Saved it when I went all CSI

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Thanks guys, I knew you'd help me out. I had two hours on the side of the M1 to look at it, but I couldn't get the bonnet up so I may have missed some things, but what I know I need is:

1) Both wings (mine were rusty anyway...every cloud.)
    2) Bonnet (mine was dented...every cloud :grin2:)
    3) Nose (mine was knackered...every cloud :laugh:)
    4) O/S headlight (the n/s one has a cracked lens but I have a spare anyway)
    5) Some oil (a litre or so i'd guess) leaked from the o/s front corner, I couldn't work out what it was, but my guess would be power steering. Something's obviously been mashed in that area, but i won't know the extent of the damage until I get it to pieces.

The car ran fine as I drove it onto the low-loader - bless.

The insurance company will give me an insulting offer in 5 days then I should be able to get my car back, hopefully next weekend. They will either CAT C or CAT D it, i don't really care as I won't be selling it.

When I get it back I plan to take the wings, bonnet and nose off myself and assess any other damage. If there's significant body/chassis damage beyond these parts i'll have to take it to a repair shop as that's beyond me. I think the back of the Saab that I hit was so high that the impact was mostly above nose level so most of the mashed parts are "relatively" cosmetic. The parts below the nose look untouched. If I can get it all back together with bits from eBay then i'll get a complete respray and hopefully I won't be worst at show at Gaydon next year :top:.

Thanks again for your help chaps, Nick

p.s. i'm going to buy myself a bag of nails from ebay as my car is my daily driver, i'm thinking £200 :rofl:. Any suggestions? I want small and fun.

• Andre, I'll be ringing round lots of breakers so I'll keep my eyes open for kidneys for you.

Thanks a lot to everyone for the kind words and helpful links. I was seriously gutted yesterday but I'm starting to see the bright side now :)

• Zitat von NickF;69606

Andre, I'll be ringing round lots of breakers so I'll keep my eyes open for kidneys for you.

Thanks a lot to everyone for the kind words and helpful links. I was seriously gutted yesterday but I'm starting to see the bright side now :)

Thx mate. The best is that you are ok. You can always fix a car, but it is not so easy when it comes to your own health. We all know you will get this car 100% again.

• Oh no, so sorry to hear of your misfortune. I think you will find that there are most likely a lot less than 500 around.

1046 RHD M70's built worldwide. Say for arguments sake that 80% of these were sold in the UK between 1991 and 1994 that makes 837 sold to the UK market.

The national average lifespan of a car in the UK is 13.5 years. All the M70 850's fall into this category. Lets say that 75% of these have run the end of their designed lifecycle, that leaves just 209 cars left alive. I sure hope your one makes it through. If she makes it, I think this could be an awakening for your car. Add a front spoiler and seeing as the bonnet is being replaced, how about a nice Alpina louvered one?

• Zitat von E31Gill;69608

Add a front spoiler and seeing as the bonnet is being replaced, how about a nice Alpina louvered one?

Some interesting stats there, no question. I'd second those sentiments however - a nice new CSI front spoiler would be nice. :top:

• Zitat von NickF;69581

Some complete git decided to stop............

Bu66er......you must have had a very strong filter on your emotions after that! I'd be using words much worse than 'git'...but of course one cannot post those!!!

Your positive attitude shines through and using those silver linings, you'll look back in a year with a better car!

Good luck!:winkwink:

• The guy breaking the 850 that Graham pointed out on piston heads (thanks mate) will sell me the bonnet, nose cone, both wings and the o/s headlight for £1,000. Sounds reasonable, what do you guys think? I'm very tempted as the breaker is silver so I can just plug and play. It will probably look a bit crappy but it will delay the need for respray to get it back on the road.

I'm tempted for the CSi spoiler, but everything below the nose is OK so I think that will be phase 2.

Andre: the kidneys are included with the nose. I think mine are OK, just pushed in, if that's right I'll send you my spares.

• Zitat von NickF;69615

The guy breaking the 850 that Graham pointed out on piston heads (thanks mate) will sell me the bonnet, nose cone, both wings and the o/s headlight for £1,000. Sounds reasonable, what do you guys think? I'm very tempted as the breaker is silver so I can just plug and play. It will probably look a bit crappy but it will delay the need for respray to get it back on the road.

I'm tempted for the CSi spoiler, but everything below the nose is OK so I think that will be phase 2.

Andre: the kidneys are included with the nose. I think mine are OK, just pushed in, if that's right I'll send you my spares.

Sorry to hear about your "incident", glad to hear that you're OK though.

If you can get that lot for a grand i think that's a pretty good deal, I'd go for it.

• Zitat von NickF;69615

The guy breaking the 850 that Graham pointed out on piston heads (thanks mate) will sell me the bonnet, nose cone, both wings and the o/s headlight for £1,000. Sounds reasonable, what do you guys think? I'm very tempted as the breaker is silver so I can just plug and play. It will probably look a bit crappy but it will delay the need for respray to get it back on the road.

That would be superb. We will talk the rest on PM:kiss:(Im not gay, but gay)

• Nick, I reckon that is a great deal and chuffed you got it (See if he will throw in the amp as well:harhar:) Have you had a chance to inspect beneath the bonnet yet? Does most of the damage seem to be superficial?

• I think you're right Graham. I won't get the car until next weekend earliest as the insurance company are inspecting it to see which category of write off it is.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!