Lost Radio Code - Stupidity is its own punishment

• Here's the story: a few days ago I managed to input my immobiliser code incorrectly - I normally use the same code but somehow I must have entered it wrong. To solve this problem I disconnected the batteries and then waited for the 15 minute countdown before I started the car again. Of course disconnecting the batteries meant that the radio lost its code too. That shouldn't be a problem since I cleverly entered the radio code into my mobile phone only somehow the code I put into the phone doesn't seem to be correct. I've tried every combination of the 4 digits there that I could think of and nothing works.
    I know that it's possible to get the code using the part number and the serial number of the radio but to that I need to remove the radio. That shouldn't be a problem but somehow I can't seem to get the radio out - it's a CD43 and it has two small screws behind little plastic flaps - releasing the screws means that I can move the radio about 5mm out and then it seems to jam and I can't get it any further out. I'm considering removing one of the carpet trim panels from the side of the tunnel so that I can get behind the radio to push it out but here's another problem: my car has wood trim including wooden "boomerangs" and I don't know how to remove them without damaging them in any way. I have the part number for the radio and it's possible to get the radio to display some sort of serial number (holding down the "m" button enters a menu with country options of Europe or USA and then pressing "+" display the serial number. Only this serial number doesn't seem to be the complete number and doesn't work on any of the online decoder sites that I've found so far.

Here's when I need some help:

1) Does anyone know if it's possible to get the full serial number displayed or does anyone know if the first or last part is somehow standardised?

2) Does anyone know how to remove the wooden boomerangs and tunnel trim panels easily?

Removing the MID isn't easy as having wood trim means that firstly the clearance is very small and secondly the wood is easily damaged - normally to remove the MID I remove the radio first and push the MID from behind - now I want to do the opposite.

Any clues?

Cheers in advance

• I can't help with the serial number. It's been a long time since I used a CD43 and I can't recall what information the service menu gave and how complete the serial number displayed is.

I do not recommend removing the MID without removing the radio first. Although it is possible, you'll very likely crack the thin wood trim between radio and MID. I'd only attempt that with a plastic center console.

The E31 center console radio opening is designed very poorly. There's a bezel that prevents the radio from dropping in the opening - to make sure the front of the radio is always flush with the center console. But the stupid thing is the tunnel widens again behind the bezel. So when removing the radio, it is VERY easy to get stuck behind the bezel with the retaining mechanism of the radio. The radio comes out a bit, and is then mysteriously stuck. This can be very frustrating... Ask me how I know. The only advice I can give is pull the radio out up to where it gets stuck, release it for a millimeter or so, play a bit with the screws of the retaining mechanism and try pulling again. Repeat until succesful.

I fixed this in my center console by glueing plastic pieces of exactly the same thickness as the bezel inside the radio opening where the radio retaining mechanism grips. That way, when I pull the radio, it can never get stuck.

PS: What are "wooden boomerangs"?

• I've had success with revtor's exact proceedure for radio removal Jason, so I can second that. On the knee bolsters, I can't see where wood covered ones would be different, but here is a pic of the rear of an offside (yours is LHD, but doesn't matter) piece so you can see the attachment points at the dash. The important one that people miss is that one right at the bend.

And Velcro attachment points at the tunnel...

• I recommend starting at the pointy end and pull the velcro loose, block them from contact by inserting paper, then slowly pulling/prying the insert at the bend, and working your way back towards the flat end.

2 screwdrivers prying from both sides of each insert works best.

Slowly. Be carefull not to crack the finish on the wood, by bending it too much.

I also recommend buying about 5 of the plastic deals that hold each insert to the dash. These wear out from removal and get sloppy.

They are like $0.25 ea.

Brian
    95 840Ci 80k
    99 740i 165k
    01 740iS 30k

• Argonaut

unless I have missed something..if all you need is the radio code then ring your local BMW dealer with Reg No or Chassis No and he should be able to tell you.

• Zitat von HD;71495

Argonaut

unless I have missed something..if all you need is the radio code then ring your local BMW dealer with Reg No or Chassis No and he should be able to tell you.

Only one issue with that - they can only supply the code for the radio provided it's still the original that came with the vehicle - my CD43 is not the original, the previous Owner removed the Professional unit that came with my car and left me with a cassette radio POS instead which I replaced with a CD43.
    I'm about to give Revtor's removal method a try.
    Cheers

• Zitat von Argonaut;71496

Only one issue with that - they can only supply the code for the radio provided it's still the original that came with the vehicle - my CD43 is not the original, the previous Owner removed the Professional unit that came with my car and left me with a cassette radio POS instead which I replaced with a CD43.
    I'm about to give Revtor's removal method a try.
    Cheers

Hi
    PM me with the serial number stamped into the right hand side of the chassis, i will give you the CODE free, and next time I'm running a batch I will print you a new code card...... all part of the community spirit

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• Zitat von robmarrs;71609

Hi
    PM me with the serial number stamped into the right hand side of the chassis, i will give you the CODE free, and next time I'm running a batch I will print you a new code card...... all part of the community spirit

That's very kind of you, great Forum solidarity!

• Zitat von johnnywas;71628

Hi rob,i wonder if you could help me too as i have not got my radio code,cheers

Happy to help - see your PM box

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!