I need to quieten the beast

• Hi all,

Last year Gerry fitted a new exhaust to my car and while I love it, I've finally come to the conclusion it's just too loud. The cats have been removed and the central resonator was replaced with an X-pipe, then two Magnaflow "silencers" at the rear. The car runs MUCH better with the new system so I don't want to strangle it, but is there anything I can do to quieten it down a tad? I wake the entire neighbourhood when I leave for work at 6am :oops:

I read somewhere about "glass packs" http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainles…ts_SM?hash=item3359b35f88

Anyone have any experience with them or any other ideas?

Cheers, Nick

• what about putting OEM silencers back on? i take it theres no baffles in the magnaflow units.

if you have your originals id try this first as its a cheap fix...if its not as loud as you'd like, cut the baffles out of the standard silencers....still a cheap job.

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• i don't have any of the original components left as they were all rotten to hell. Looks like the neighbours are going to have to get used to the early starts.....:grin2:

• Zitat von stevep840;74767

In my experience you NEED the center resonator box, as without ,well you know how it is;-)

Thats what I was about to say. The Centre crossover delete is your problem. I have 2 Magnaflow silencers (with 3" inner casing), Cats removed and Crossover left installed. Its fairly quiet and smooth, no droning or booming. Removing the Cats quietened it down a lot.

Why remove the Center box at all?

• Had the same issue with my Magnaflow 'silencers'. When they were first fitted and started up I thought 'YES!' awsome. After 2 months I'd had enough of my skull being used as a tuning fork and took it back to the exhaust fitter ( Powerspeed in Kent) and asked if they could quiten it down a bit.

First thing they did is what they do for TVR owners with the same request. Took some tublar gauzed metal about 2" long, at one end they compress it slightly at 4 points so it forms a loose 'X' shape. Then they slice the exhaust pipe off close to the back end of the silencer and tac welded it in the back of the silencer 'x' end in first. Then weld the silencer back up to the exhaust pipe. The idea being that this pushes the exhaust pulses into the surrounding silencer more.

It did have an effect but it wasn't long before I was back asking if there was anythng else they could do.

So then they got some piping, 6-8 inches long I think, that was a smaller diameter then the silencers internal pipes, so if you put it into the end of your exhaust it would rattle around. They then flared about 2" of one end to the same size as the silencer pipe and then hammered them into each pipe (so 4) with the flared end in last and then tac welded that into place.

It was dramatically quiter but it also sounds good. Everyone who hears it thinks it sounds great. So might be worth considering that one.

What effect it has on back pressure etc I don't know but it drives fine.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• I hear a lot of complaints about booming and droning with Magnaflows, but I don't get anything like that. At cruising speed it's very quiet, the only time it's load is at start up and when pulling away up to around 20mph / 1000 to 1500rpm. It's very loud if you boot it especially around 3 to 4,500k when it sounds awesome, then strangely it goes quiet again around 4.5k to redline. I don't mind it being loud under load, it's the slow speed thing that makes me look a bit of a k**b end and wakes the neighbours up. I worry that I may solve the 1500rpm problem only to create another problem so I'm tempted to live with it....

• Zitat von NickF;74865

I hear a lot of complaints about booming and droning with Magnaflows, but I don't get anything like that. At cruising speed it's very quiet, the only time it's load is at start up and when pulling away up to around 20mph / 1000 to 1500rpm. It's very loud if you boot it especially around 3 to 4,500k when it sounds awesome, then strangely it goes quiet again around 4.5k to redline. I don't mind it being loud under load, it's the slow speed thing that makes me look a bit of a k**b end and wakes the neighbours up. I worry that I may solve the 1500rpm problem only to create another problem so I'm tempted to live with it....

Well yeah, that is the booming people complain about! Its stupidly noisey at low RPM and Idle and quiet at cruise. With the Cats removed (but cross over installed) in my case its quiet but burbly at idle, quiet at crusie but nice and raspy at high RPM and acceleration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghYOeUcej9c

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!