• I've got one of the Fleabay ones on my car, quality is OK, fits OK.

a couple of tips, don't bother getting the supplier to paint it 'cos the paint is sh....e quality, get your preferred painter to do the job.
    Fitting - much ,much easier to do this by feel rather by sight, I know that sounds daft but that was my experience. I tried lining it up several times and had a mate helping me to do it, still couldn't get it looking right. Finally I fitted it by feel using my thumb to judge the fit on the edge of the boot lid - fingertips are very sensitive and can tell uneven surfaces to a surprisingly fine degree (as a detailer I'm sure you know that better than I do).

One final tip, the spolier is quite hard and not terribly flexible which makes fitting it harder, wait for a warm sunny day and lay it on the roof of the car in the sunshine - that way it becomes pliable and already adopts a slight curve which you'll need to follow the trailing edge of the boot lid.

• Here is what I did on my car. I ordered one in a custom length to install it as shown. IMO the standard offering for just the boot lid always seemed lacking to me, so I cut each side on a compund angle to match the trunk lines. Also I have to say the paint was excellent....the #287 Mauritiusblau matches perfectly and was flawless, I did another for a guy in Orientblau and it was the same excellent quality and match. I can echo what Jason said about heating it in the sun to make it pliable. I wouldn't recommend following the slight angled lines of the boot lid...it doesn't look right. Do a continuous curve and I think you'll be much happier. The 3M stickum is tenacious.... do it like Jason said kind of by feel, and only pull off the tape gradually as you go. Do not press it down hard until placement is where you want it!

• Hi Guys,
    Sorry to piss on the fire. The 850 has a drag coefficient of 0.29 and an air resistance of .72 m. The design team were tasked with getting the drag coefficient under 0.3 without the use of a spoiler and they accomplished that with the balance better than all the cars available at the time including Ferarri. Its obviously personal choice but the after market spoiler does absolutely nothing to the handling of the car.
    Why try and improve on perfection.
    I know I am going to get hit for this but my Dakar 850Csi does have a Schnitzer spoiler on her but it was " as bought" and I didn't want to spoil the boot lid by removing it.
    Unless you like the estetics don't waste your money on these spoilers.

• Zitat von Peter J Rice;74774

Hi Guys,
    Sorry to piss on the fire. The 850 has a drag coefficient of 0.29 and an air resistance of .72 m. The design team were tasked with getting the drag coefficient under 0.3 without the use of a spoiler and they accomplished that with the balance better than all the cars available at the time including Ferarri. Its obviously personal choice but the after market spoiler does absolutely nothing to the handling of the car.
    Why try and improve on perfection.
    I know I am going to get hit for this but my Dakar 850Csi does have a Schnitzer spoiler on her but it was " as bought" and I didn't want to spoil the boot lid by removing it.
    Unless you like the estetics don't waste your money on these spoilers.

Very true Peter, it's purely a matter of taste.

Mind you, the spoiler does have a measurable down force (roughly equivalent to its own weight)

Cheers
    Jason

• haha hopefully the spoiler-no-spoiler debate wont arise again! at least with the lip spoiler its not slap-in-the-face obvious its there, especially on a dark coloured car... if after a while i want to remove it, i can, without repainting/filling the bootlid.

is it worth paying an extra £50 for an OEM bmw part I wonder....

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• Spoilers in general

It's a personal thing..........and not for me.

BUT...............if it IS your thing....then...

Not "Lip Spoiler" but of use to others maybe....

The BMW Part number for the 8-Series Spoiler is 51.71.2.260.320.
    The Part seems to be still available for a mere $600........

Attached are official fitting instructions for the BMW part.
    Apologies for rather 'scratchy' images.

:winkwink:

• good lord! its turned into the spoiler/no spoiler argument ;)

im putting it off due to saving for the rear suspension/bushes rebuild! :ahhhhh:

thanks for the input guys!

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!