M8 on Display in Munich

• This is definitely good news! I really wonder what took BMW that long to get the car on display. It's a fine piece of BMW Motorsport history - nothing to be ashamed of.

Perhaps I should change my vacation plans to Munich this year ;).

• There are a couple of very interesting things that I noticed from those pics.

From the underbonnet shot, the front strut top mounts have been moved to what appears to be the same position that they end up when fitting my fixed camberplates and there also can be seen a "B" pillar on the car, visable only with the door open as it is blacked out with the door closed. I wonder if this was to add strength to the body by supporting the roof in this position? I suspect also that without rear seats, the rear window glass was fixed.

I am not sure why they put vents in the front of the rear arches as they would be functional at the rear to vent wheel well pressure.

• I heard from Mobile Tradition years ago that one of the reasons the car was not suited for public display was that the Lexan/Acrylic windows were all yellowed by time etc. Maybe lightweight window material is the reason for the B pillar?

• I believe thet the real reason was that only production vehicles was to be displayed, as this was a prototype it was not suited to be in the museum.

Good to see they changed their mind :)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von Danish;78810

I heard from Mobile Tradition years ago that one of the reasons the car was not suited for public display was that the Lexan/Acrylic windows were all yellowed by time etc. Maybe lightweight window material is the reason for the B pillar?

Yes maybe.
    What I first thought was: A lightweight roof is the reason.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!