• Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Vas from London .I'm currently driving an 1996 840CI, which I've had for around 8 months. It's the fourth BMW I've owned, the first being an e46 328CI , then I had a E39 523I and after that for a really short period of time I had an 2008 E92 335i which was written off by an elderly lady driving a pug 206 .

Anyway back on the 8 . Bought it from eBay for only 1500 quid . It was more like a joke to be honest . I was browsing though eBay one day when i spotted my car on auction ending after 20 min at the price of £1430 so decided to make a cheeky bid at the last minute thinking i was never gonna win the auction at the price i was willing to pay . But then surprise , surprise i won the bloody thing for only 1500 quid i could believe my luck . Anyway phoned the seller , arranged collection etc.etc.

Went to collect her and she turned out to be in a pretty good shape . 120k miles , sport leather , mint alloys , good tyres , good paintwork . The only problems she had was a little dent on the o/s 1/4 panel , cracked nose cone , very dirty inside and the leather was in nasty condition . My first intentions ware to fix the minor things , drive it for a few weeks and sell it for a quick profit . But after driving it for the first week i decided i wont be selling it any soon .

So far i`ve done :

Suspension Rebuild , had most of the bushes changed
    x4 Bilsteins
    CSI kit (still need the wing mirrors)
    DYEd the interior , no more cracked leather
    M3 E36 Steering Wheel
    CD43 Player
    New nose cone
    New Kidney Grilles
    Fixed the dent on the rear 1/4 panel
    Fixed the non working electric seats
    Fixed the leaking AC
    Headlight Refurb
    Insp II
    Oh , and my last mod was fixing the astrays door , that bloody thing was a nightmare to fix , took me about 2hrs to do it .

Special thanks to BF UK and www.meeknet.co.uk (Timm)

On the day i got her

Now :
    btw , the yellow tint is now gone

• Hi Vas,:winkwink: never realised you got your car for so little:top: even looked ok then, now you can be very proud of her.

I take it you're not planning on selling now?

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Welcome on board.

Zitat von VasJ;96306

My first intentions ware to fix the minor things , drive it for a few weeks and sell it for a quick profit . But after driving it for the first week i decided i wont be selling it any soon.

But then you caught the bug too eh..... :laugh:

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von BBMatic;96330

I'm missing something here Sangwitch, ... why? :dontknow:

I'm just not a lover of a plate, that being spaced incorrectly , leads to some bizzie stopping you for no reason....Just me I guess!

• Thanks for the nice comments everyone .

stevep840 - Yes mate i wont be selling it any soon

As for the plate , i was gonna change it but never got around doing it . Apparently some of the previous owners was Asian and his name was Taba hence why is spaced as N20 2ABA = N20 TABA . Anyway will order a new set of plates tomorrow .

Still not sure about the mirrors , found a brakers selling both CSI mirrors for 300 quid but im still not sure whether i like them or not . I know it sounds weird but i quite like the Dumbo mirrors . What do you guys think should i buy the CSI mirrors or keep the Dumbos?

Oh yeah , and for the yellow trim , im glad i removed it my car looks much better now :laugh:

• Lose the dumbos, my 2p worth.

Regarding the yellow film on your lights, yes, much better without it.
    Heard a completely uncorroborated rumour that there are some (very rare) E31s that have it, and yet look absolutely flipping amazing.

• Fifteen hundred quid Vas? What a bargain! Looks like you have a real winner there, and I love the changes you have made - you won't want to lose it now.....

• Does look superb and in a totally selfish way pains me to see such cars fetching £1500.00 What do you think it has cost you so far to bring it up to the standard it is now?
    Hopefully you'll say £6000 and we can all heave a sigh of relief!:harhar:

• Zitat von BBMatic;96351

Lose the dumbos, my 2p worth.

Regarding the yellow film on your lights, yes, much better without it.
    Heard a completely uncorroborated rumour that there are some (very rare) E31s that have it, and yet look absolutely flipping amazing.

You are not wrong BMMINIPARTS were selling a brand new genuine yellow tinted ftp light , dont remember which side was but i think they were selling it for about 120 quid . And yes you are right it did really look absolutely flipping amazing . In fact this is where i got the idea of tinting the FTPs from .

Zitat von sandwich;96356

Does look superb and in a totally selfish way pains me to see such cars fetching £1500.00 What do you think it has cost you so far to bring it up to the standard it is now?
    Hopefully you'll say £6000 and we can all heave a sigh of relief!:harhar:

lol £6000 a bit optimistic as BBmatic said . I have spend around 4k so far and will probably have to spent another 2000 quid to make it perfect . But im proud to say she drives like a dream now and there are no knock coming from the suspension or from the engine . All the things i have to fix now are mainly cosmetic .

The bits left to do are :

New Speakers
    Sunroof rebuild
    New Headlining
    New Properly working key
    New Becker CD player
    New exhaust tips
    re-dye the seats , this time using a proper spray equipment not a sponge like the last time
    New mats
    Maybe a new exhaust
    And if am really lucky OEM wood trim

• Zitat von VasJ;96345

I know it sounds weird but i quite like the Dumbo mirrors . What do you guys think should i buy the CSI mirrors or keep the Dumbos?

Hi Vas, welcome.

Doesn't sound weird at all, Dumbos are aerodynamic and give better visibility. I too can see the appeal of the CSI mirrors but don't have a problem with Dumbos in the same way many of the guys do.

Keep the Dumbos:top:

Cheers
    Graham

• Welcome to the Pleasure Dome

Welcome to the asylum Vas, you are amongst friends! These cars are not cheap to maintain, as you are finding out, but can reward with a really fun drive, imposing looks and frequent head-turning. As fuel continues its spiral upwards (sanctions against Iran aren't going to help either) there is a glut of cheap ones on the market. Its got to be CSI mirrors for me and I like my "german" plate too!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Welcome - nice motor and going to get nicer still :)

Dumbo or Sport Mirrors:
    Whichever you prefer is the right choice. Don't listen to us.

Number plate - There is a saying:
    "A plate with obvious altered spacing shows an owner who wants to look exclusive and rich, but clearly isn't and is so desperate to impress others that they break the law".
    I'm not saying that I subscribe fully to the above - especially as I've just measured my new plates and they're about 3mm out.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!