Alpina Restoration

• As many of you know, I am in the process of bringing the Alpina back to exactly the way it left the factory. The car, purchased in Japan, went through a 21 month process of being accepted by the US to be able to legallyhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com…showthread.php?t=1799935#. I have started the process of removing many of the items prior to repainting. As many 90's vintage BMWs were with silver paint, mine suffers from the breakdown of the clear coat. As this is the only B12 5.0 that was produced in Silver, we will be restoring it to its original color. The car only has 38,000 Km, so the body is in excellent condition with the exception of the paint. Windows will be coming out, and as you can see by the pictures, I have attempted to remove many of the items and trim prior to taking to the painter this week. Gary will be removing the remaining pieces, fenders, doors, etc. It is a small shop that specializes in doing excellent show-quality work one car at a time, and I have waited 5 months for my http://forums.bimmerforums.com…showthread.php?t=1799935#" for the work. Here are some pictures of how the car looks today, and I will update this thead with new pictures as they come along.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• At least you don't appear to have any dreaded rust issues! Good luck and looking forward to seeing the result.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• The sticker that says: Mind you, two batteries installed! and that no Japanese has ever read or understood :lol:
    Mine had a 1996 and a 2003 battery installed when purchased in 2005. Admittedly it is a little awkward having to remove the CD-player only to check a battery but isn´t the same true for the plugs in holes 6 and 12 :laugh:

To me this car looks perfect already but it is indeed known that garage space in Japan is rare and cars seem to be spending all their life playing outside with expected results for the paint.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Yes - the clear on the paint is breaking up - it looks like someone took 80 grit sandpaper to it, so it will all have to come off.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the rear sticker. I will see if I can get mine off somehow. And actually, there is an ALPINA sticker on the inside of one of the trunk tim pieces that says the same thing.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America

• Zitat von arnie;96983

You still have the head-light covers to remove and be sure to protect the orange sticker in the trunk sill as they are no-longer available.

Those will come off at the shop when the car gets there.

BMW 850 CSi

• If the sticker still is in good legible condition it may be worthwhile (for the sake of having it appear like ex-factory) to take a good digital shot of it and print this onto a self adhesive sheet. This way you don´t need to prep anything around the old sticker.
    Same applies to other stickers - possibly some in Japanese writing - liberally spread throughout the car. Today´s home office printers will easily match the quality of the early 90´s.

Nobody will notice and I won´t tell :laugh:

Cheere
    Reinhard

• There was a bod at Gaydon last year flogging complete sticker sets for the 8 series. Replicas obviously
    Reminds me of the time I went to a motorcycle show on my Suzuki GT750 from 1974. I had put a sticker ,original, on the rear mudguard but was told by two pillocks that it was about 5mm too low. I refrained from replying

• Zitat von rogbmw;96975

Here are some pictures of how the car looks today, and I will update this thead with new pictures as they come along.

I can't see any pictures:dontknow:

Reinhard, help please!

In what year did they start putting clear coat on these cars?

Cheers
    Graham

• I see them. Twice now. :aetsch:

Maybe clearing your Internet cache or reloading the page of the browser helps.

It has nothing to do with EU-politics though - this board is in Switzerland :laugh:

Non-metallic paint did not receive clear coats until... :dontknow: ... late.
    Brillantrot almost certainly always came without. Hellrot may have come with.

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

• Zitat von reinhard;97002

Maybe clearing your Internet cache or reloading the page of the browser helps.

:hmmmm: tried both of those and nothing. All I see is a tiny little blue box with a question mark in it?

I have been seeing this quite a bit lately (never used to) and clicking on it directs me to log in again upon which I can see the pictures, but not this time.

Any other ideas?

• Understood - this seems to relate to the old thing we will probably never be able to get rid of. Most non German users login through 8er.org, whereas the others and seemingly also Roger go through 8er.ch. Although the contents are the same they are stored using a different domain name. Coming from an 8er.org link towards something inside the 8er.ch name space requires a new login (and vice versa).
    I have not seen this with direct attachments or links embedded into postings so far but have sent a message to Martin/Christoph to check when time permits. Probably something that broke during the last forum software update.

Cheers
    Reinhard

PS: what happens if you access the forum through http://www.8er.org and read this posting? (You will probably need to adjust langiage preferences once)

• Zitat von sandwich;96997

There was a bod at Gaydon last year flogging complete sticker sets for the 8 series. Replicas obviously
    Reminds me of the time I went to a motorcycle show on my Suzuki GT750 from 1974. I had put a sticker ,original, on the rear mudguard but was told by two pillocks that it was about 5mm too low. I refrained from replying

I'd have kicked em both in the boll8cks:harhar: teach em for being nobs:top:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I look forward to following the restoration process Roger.

How does one achieve same resistance to paint chips as with factory paint? I have only ever seen an increased sensitivity to stone chipping for resprayed vs factory paint cars, but there has to be some expert automotive paintshops out there with the ability to formulate, apply and cure paint and clear coats to factory standards or better when we are talking about resistance to chipping.

Best,
    Michael

• Zitat von Danish;97062

I look forward to following the restoration process Roger.

How does one achieve same resistance to paint chips as with factory paint? I have only ever seen an increased sensitivity to stone chipping for resprayed vs factory paint cars, but there has to be some expert automotive paintshops out there with the ability to formulate, apply and cure paint and clear coats to factory standards or better when we are talking about resistance to chipping.

Best,
    Michael

The shop I am using only does very high end work. No collision repairs - just restorations. His painted cars have won the highest level awards in national competition, so I am looking forward to his work. Cars he has painted have been featured in some pretty big magazines. Not cheap...but that is the quaility I wanted, and I think the Alpina deserves. While the car is being painted, I will be going over the interior seats, redying the Alpina colors in the stripes, generally cleaning all the pieces, and getting it ready to put back together.

BMW 850 CSi

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!